sprocket assembly

GoldenMotor.com

khmaiguy562

Apr 17, 2016
California
can the sprocket be assembled any way or is there a specific way to do so?

Also, im just breaking in an engine. Is it normal that there are gas/oil coming out of the spark plug hole?

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure what sprocket you mean, but your spark plug is loose or something is wrong with threads on it or the head

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Some 'instructions' that come with kits will tell you to "Finger tighten" the spark plug. I have no idea what idiot wrote that but a spark plug has to be tighter than 'finger tight'. 60 to 80 inch pounds will assure it is seated and shouldn't leak.

There have been reports of ether a crack in the cylinder head or defective threads in either the head or the kit plug but that is rare. More common is a plug that is too loose or the cylinder head nuts haven't been torqued and the head gasket is leaking.

Beg, borrow, steal or preferably, buy, a torque wrench and use it. Every fastener on your bike will love you for it.

Tom

khmaiguy562

Apr 17, 2016
California
Some 'instructions' that come with kits will tell you to "Finger tighten" the spark plug. I have no idea what idiot wrote that but a spark plug has to be tighter than 'finger tight'. 60 to 80 inch pounds will assure it is seated and shouldn't leak.

There have been reports of ether a crack in the cylinder head or defective threads in either the head or the kit plug but that is rare. More common is a plug that is too loose or the cylinder head nuts haven't been torqued and the head gasket is leaking.

Beg, borrow, steal or preferably, buy, a torque wrench and use it. Every fastener on your bike will love you for it.

Tom
Oh okay, i will try to tighten it and give it a try. So i removed the cylinder head and there seems to be excessive gas on top of the head.. Is that normal? It also leaked out to the gasket.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I believe that the 'finger tighten thing was a bad instruction that was intended to keep folks from cross threading the plug because the threads in the head are often dinged a bit when the factory worker throws them on a pile of parts - one in five kits I sell need that plug hole straightened out before I sell it (often due to paint on the threads too).

That fuel on the head may just be from the loose plug, clean it and try again to see if it reappears.