injector oil

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
hey guys, i have a quick question, i do have a 2 stroke in my garage, and i need to mix up some gas, the only oil i have is shell 2 stroke injector oil for outboard boats, its about 14 years old, is it ok to use this oil in my engine? thanks!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The "injector" part there's no problem at all with, I use Amsoil's 50:1 Injector synthetic to mix fuel for my MB... The age however... well, it's prolly fine to use it - but I'd never dump such crud in my motor if that helps any ;)

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
The "injector" part there's no problem at all with, I use Amsoil's 50:1 Injector synthetic to mix fuel for my MB... The age however... well, it's prolly fine to use it - but I'd never dump such crud in my motor if that helps any ;)

well oils been around for millions of years right? whats 14 going to do? its my moped anyways, im going on an expedition with my buddy, im taking my 4 stroke bike, and hes taking my moped, were going to ride all over the place, it will be the first time ive been motor bicycling with someone else,

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
well oils been around for millions of years right? whats 14 going to do? its my moped anyways, im going on an expedition with my buddy, im taking my 4 stroke bike, and hes taking my moped, were going to ride all over the place, it will be the first time ive been motor bicycling with someone else,
Sounds like fun man! I'd suggest picking up a small bottle of 2 stroke oil just in case;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
2 stroke injector oil might just resemble crude again after millions of years... but that aint crude oil yer dumpin' in there. I said 14 years or so old is probably fine, but I suspect there is some viscosity breakdown and the potential for foreign contaminants... heck - it may not even be what it's labeled.

I have no idea if 2 stroke oil is susceptible to the same breakdown that gasoline and other petroleum products (even plastics) are prone to with age, odds are it doesn't matter with a low compression engine like yer moped - I just said I wouldn't dump it in my bike, I'm picky like that. It ain't worth the coupla bucks to find out ;)

I have a question tho, if you had no interest in a potentially negative answer - why did you ask?

*shrug* no worries, I'm not sweatin' it lol - I do understand the joy of findin' a riding partner... I wish like **** I could find one 'round here. Guess I'll just hafta finish another build and use the Schwinn as a loner heh

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
2 stroke injector oil might just resemble crude again after millions of years... but that aint crude oil yer dumpin' in there. I said 14 years or so old is probably fine, but I suspect there is some viscosity breakdown and the potential for foreign contaminants... heck - it may not even be what it's labeled.

I have no idea if 2 stroke oil is susceptible to the same breakdown that gasoline and other petroleum products (even plastics) are prone to with age, odds are it doesn't matter with a low compression engine like yer moped - I just said I wouldn't dump it in my bike, I'm picky like that. It ain't worth the coupla bucks to find out ;)

I have a question tho, if you had no interest in a potentially negative answer - why did you ask?

*shrug* no worries, I'm not sweatin' it lol - I do understand the joy of findin' a riding partner... I wish like **** I could find one 'round here. Guess I'll just hafta finish another build and use the Schwinn as a loner heh
Barelyawake I feel the same way....Wish I had a bike buddy to go on cruises with....Oh well....
John-John

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ok well heres the status, me and my buddy took our bikes out, it was -3 and -7 at the end of our trip, we went out in the woods, in the trails, in the pitch black! the only light was the mopeds head light, and my bike was behind, i had all the power with my 49cc 4 stroke, but he had the control, i slid all over, the torque caused my back wheel to slid out like crazy, i was amazed by how well my buddy controlled the bike off road like that, we went everywhere, there was so much mud, my bike is caked, the engine is soaked in mud, we did river crossings, huge down hill sloped, it was the most fun of my life! neither of us crashed!, i mixed the moped at 25:1 to be safe, and the oil smoked like crazy, but it ran great! and my hoot held up great for all that abuse, we went up friggen walls! there were slopes we couldnt CLIMB up, but we hopped of out bikes and reved them, back tire spinning all the way up, and us jogging along side, all in all i had such a great time, were going out again in a few minutes, and again tomorrow, i love my 4 stroke, and i was amazed at how my friend controlled that moped, he drives like crap on the road though, hes so bad at that, but once we hit the mud, oh man! and he is only 130lbs so it was like he wasnt even on the bike, thanks guys!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I have used Penzoil 2-stroke oil in my bike and airplane that's been sitting 20 years with no problem. We know to mix it just before flying though because it does precipitate and go bad once combined with gas. Much worse with the alcohol now.

I have been using 50:1 Walmart marine oil for years with no problem and after trying a couple synthetics have determined there is NO performance advantage. It is easier to start the bike in sub-zero so I will continue to use Amsoil in the winter for that reason and because it's cheap.