Vintage Motor Look

GoldenMotor.com

mojodaddy

Jun 3, 2013
South Carolina
Hey guys, been lurking here trying to glean all the ideas that everyone is posting on Board Tracker builds. Getting ready to build my own now. My question is, has anyone come up with a good alternative to the problem with modern 4 and 2 stroke motors looking so small and odd compared to the original motors. I know the new motors are more efficient and powerful but that old tall cylinder with the exposed side valves on the flat head looks so cool. Does anyone have a working or a cosmetic alternative without spending a couple of thousand dollars on some of the repo's of the originals found on the net? I have found that there is a wealth of knowledge here but sometimes it is spread pretty far and wide across the boards.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome to the forum. I too lurked for a long time before actually participating.

I haven't had trouble filling up frame space lately, but know what you mean. I've actually been thinking about adding external valve tubes and rocker covers to my Harley Peashooter build which uses a 5 speed, Honda OHV vertical clone... single cylinder. I like the Knucklehead look rocker covers for that. No definite plans yet but keep an eye on the "Old Guys Simplex" thread vintage & boardtrack. Rick C.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The question is what you can tell your local police. Something like an old 100cc 2 stroke for a mower will be bigger and look vintage and not have too much power. Not that you would ever break the law, oh no. ;)

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Ludwig the vintage engine details would rather fit the Old Guy look; as well as promote legal sympathy for the elderly among law enforcement professionals. Your back story, which shows promise, needs the polish of my experience...which smells of that which it is mostly comprised.....
Rick C.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Will be watching this thread!

Hey guys, been lurking here trying to glean all the ideas that everyone is posting on Board Tracker builds. Getting ready to build my own now. My question is, has anyone come up with a good alternative to the problem with modern 4 and 2 stroke motors looking so small and odd compared to the original motors. I know the new motors are more efficient and powerful but that old tall cylinder with the exposed side valves on the flat head looks so cool. Does anyone have a working or a cosmetic alternative without spending a couple of thousand dollars on some of the repo's of the originals found on the net? I have found that there is a wealth of knowledge here but sometimes it is spread pretty far and wide across the boards.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Well, what engines are there that can give The Look? What constraints do you have? Something small, 1950s, the top end with skinny finning and a single pushrod tube is a possibility. The dear old Triumph Tiger Cub unit. The question is how much an engine costs in good order.

This is the earlier 150cc Terrier.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Pre-unit Triumphs are expensive in the US. A road ready T110 will bring $8500 USD.

Boardtrack bikes did not have transmissions. Integrated transmissions were not common on pre-war motorcycles either.

This is the right look for a drop loop Boardtracker:

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Pre-unit Triumphs are expensive in the US. A road ready T110 will bring $8500 USD.

Boardtrack bikes did not have transmissions. Integrated transmissions were not common on pre-war motorcycles either.

This is the right look for a drop loop Boardtracker:

When and approximate price range?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There was a reasonably available French pushrod 350 industrial engine I've seen used in a bike that was close, but rare as unicorn droppings in Britain and less common in America.

How many cc is needed? The old Ducati Cucciolo is widely available, if a little costly for what it is, but it has exposed valve gear.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=37749.60

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I owned a Cub in the early sixties & it was a fun, good looking bike that I'm quite familiar with. Upgraded to a Bonneville in 1963. Motors got the vintage look for sure. The original question isn't about a replacement but creating an affordable alternative to an expensive replacement engine. To lend a feel of age to the build, but not to fool anyone. The beautiful China Girl mod posted earlier is one that when I first saw it I did a double take and lol knew what had been done and I admire that creativity. It feels at home in the drop frame...beautiful bike as well.

Peashooters were mid 1920's factory team creations that competed through the 1930's in individual racers hands and were primarily used on the flat tracks (post board track era) & were a modification of the loop frame by Harley factory team bikes that cut the loop out and used the single cylinder engine as the lower support member of the frame & yes the Peashooter had a transmission (not unitized) as time progressed and it raced on the flat tracks.

Silverbear uses a phrase "building in the spirit of" which is so appropriate for the bikes I build... and I make no apologies for. I'm not restoring or copying a specific year but trying to capture a feel of an era, which I don't display but actually ride...often. So safety & reliability are also of concern when selecting an engine etc. Remember, and I do, trying to start that little British engine (when it was relatively new) on cold Oklahoma Winters & those hot restarts in the Summer...wasn't so fun then and at seventy years of age I don't feature it to be enjoyable now. Time hasn't diminished those memories! The CG 125 OHV basic design is truly dependable & more than 4 decades old which makes it more of a "true" classic than most of the engines available for moto bicycles & at 125 cc is a smaller displacement than most of the Predator style clones being used on 4 cycle builds today, which I also like but they don't look any more vintage than the CG Honda clones.

It all boils down to what appeals to each of us and that's also the way it should be. Build on and have fun!

Rick C.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
FFV8, can you do a 50cc version?
I think it would be an awfully short stroke...

Currently that is the smallest unit - 2.745 bore & 4.625 stroke. 448cc's

I think the shortest stroke those flywheels would accommodate is about 3 inches, which would be 290cc's. I can go all the way to 5 inches on the stroke however.

B

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What about a miniature is what I meant. I realise the actual production would cost as much as a full size one, but a little longstroker would be fun.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
What's the price range estimate? The casting looks first rate. Rick C.
Case sets are around $1100 depending on options. The parts to complete the rotating assembly with a full dynamic balance run about $950. Flywheels are made by Truett & Osborn. All of the crankshaft assembly parts are new.
Some people have enough parts laying around at that point to complete one.

Lifter blocks, lifters, cams etc. are all available new as well. Cylinders & heads are available from several sources.

Other parts are in the works as well. I will be testing an electric starter this weekend.

B

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Wow...wow... I am very impressed B. with what you are doing here. Also your knowledge of motors and all stuff related to this hobby just blows my mind..Thanks for bringing it and all you other guys thank you too!