My huffy cruiser build [jmrl] [first]

GoldenMotor.com

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
I got my exhaust from SBP on but im having problems with it coming apart at the silicone couplings, What is a good adhesive that can withstand heat, and bind with metal and silicone ?

Im sure others have had this problem also.

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
Its been a while sense I have last updated my progress :D

I just wanted to keep everyone following some news. Everything seems to be doing pretty well I have successfully jetted my carb so I can WOT . I am topping out at around 28-30mph which is good. BUt Of course I am wanting more :D

But i do have a problem or two. I have a jumping feel, Another way to describe it. When im riding, It feels like the bike jerks. It doesnt happen all the time but I have noticed it.
I have also been hearing a " scratching " noise coming from the motor I dont hear it all the time but Occasionally i do. I have my thoughts but nothing i know for sure.
Also when i ride down hills my bike use to pick up speed and continue to pick up speed. Now it seems to be capping at a certain RPM and doesnt pick up any more. It gets louder than normal while going down inclines also. So I have been letting off the gas and using 1/2" throttle to just cruise down them. I dont want to put any unnecessary wear on the engine. This HIGH RPM isnt normal for it. I have hit speeds of 36+ going down hills now Just reaching 31 or so and topping out.

Thanks for any input here is a pic after a rainy ride.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Fuel mix is not the problem, jet size is what controls the mixture at high speed. Sometimes a carburetor will not respond to jetting, I have one that just flattens out at around 28 to 29 mph, I changed jet size with no improvement. I changed carburetors and got 31 mph with the same jet size of the other carb. Another problem could be the air filter, a good high flow filter will help at high rpm. The type available from SBP is what I run.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Its best to go a little rich than lean, if the engine seems to be getting hotter than normal its probably lean. When jetting mine I go a little to the rich side, I like my plug to be a little darker brown.

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
Hello guys!

I have broke a bolt off my front casing for the mount. I tried removing it with a screw extractor and ended up breaking the extractor off inside the bolt; So i decided to go up a size on the extractor. For my life i couldn't drill a pilot hole due to the metal being harder than my bit. So Ive come to the decision that completely drilling out the hole and just taping it to a 1/4" would be my best bet. I don't want to make the mistake and go to close to the inside ( THE U SHAPE: where the bike frame can rest against the casing ) and it fail that way.

I have put the motor back on the bike and tested to see if vibrations or such would be a problem with just using one mount bolt. But I know the stress on this one bolt would just give out eventually anyways. I have tapped the other bolt to a 1/4" GRADE A bolt Also. I was going to do this for the other side once i have relieved it of its occupant(bolt) :D
I possibly could get some pictures If you guys believe it would help to point me in a fix or solution.

So I am wondering, would upgrading my bottom end to a better crank/ bearings / gears - / housing-casing . etc.. Be a smart investment or would just getting a new engine it self, be the best investment.. It is not a name brand that I see around the forums " gy6" etc.. Its just a ebay motor. I bought it for my amusement and wanting to learn more about small engines. I started enjoying the hobby more and more so i want to continue with it!. I have ported and polished my top end and feel very proud to say that I have a ported and polished 48cc china girl, when people ask what type of motor that I have.

OR: I was also thinking if I could just purchase the casing and rip out my crank/gears/etc.. and put them inside the new housing. Finding the right match is where I'm stuck at. I'm not sure what model I have if their is even one.

If you the reader thinks getting a bottom end or engine would suffice please give me some reference pages. I have found a few with new engine's for sale but barely if any bottom ends.

P.S. Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the bolt out that I have not tried? Techniques and all are appreciated!