Best flat tire?

GoldenMotor.com

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
So riding the ebike last month, just trying out some new tires.
7 miles round the block, so to speak. Get back to the house. Pushing my bike into the backyard gate...PiHSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Flat tire, not even riding it. What the...!

Looks like it was user error, pinched the tube when I swapped the tires.
Just got lucky.
So I thought I would relay the info...Be careful when you get all agro with them tire levers!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lucky man. At least you made it home.

I was selling a bike to a friend and he was on his first ride. We were about ten blocks from my house and the front tire on the bike he was buying went flat. Found, of all things, a small, 1/2" long cotter pin stuck in the sidewall. Punctured the tire and tube. I have no idea how it got into the sidewall but it did.
We pushed our bikes back to my house and I replaced the tube for him. No charge. :)

Tom

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
It is weird the things that you can pickup on the road. The first flat I had was a 4" long piece of bailing wire with a loop on the end. It went in all but 1 inch that was hitting the fender, tink...tink...tink... pulled it out and PHISSSSSSSS! Should have left it in I could have made it home.

I had just spent 2.5 hours cleaning out the parental types gutters.
I think I was riding on karma with this last flat.
Good thing I had not put slime in the tubes that would have made a big mess.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
It's really weird. And truly amazing, the things that can puncture a tire. Back when I owned a '74 Mercury Cougar, I got a flat on the way home from college. Took it in to Wyatt"s Garage (I miss ol' Wyatt. *sniff*) He found the leak with some bubble solution. And he pulled out...the woody bud of a tiny apple tree twig. I must've run over a stick just right, and in it went. And that was an auto tire!
Since then, I've picked up nails, screws, an unbent key ring, a piece of clam shell (Cleveland - might've been Zebra Mussel), piece of unidentified plastic, and a stainless steel fork. (Yes, as Yogi Berra said, I came to a fork in the road, and I took it.)

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Sounds like you have had your fair share of weirdness there, AllenWrench.

I seem to get nails/screws for auto flats, 3 times a sharp rock. 2 in flats in one drive, had to walk 7 mile to town. lol

This one had me stumped, 16p nail straight in to the head, looked like someone took a nail gun to it.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I got a 3/8" hex bolt, about 2" long in the front tire on my pickup. It was leaking but very slowly. I aired up and was driving to Discount Tire to get it fixed. I was in the left turn lane to turn into the shop when the darn thing blew out. Hit the underside of my fenderwell, sounded like a bullet. Drove the last 50 yards on a flat.

I walked back out to the street while they were working on my truck and found the bolt. The head was all worn from me driving on it. That's how I knew it was 2" long.

Tom

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Kudos, 2door, for picking up the bolt, most would have left it for someone else to deal with. Cool car in your sig.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
I had a near new (under 600 miles) Z28 develop an odd tic in a rear wheel.

Dealer heard it too, once per revolution on the right rear.

They de-mounted the tire, and called me back. Stuck through the tread nice & square was a brand new "W" letter size aircraft drill. It was hitting the rim as I drove. It had never been used, the flutes were pristine. I kept the drill around for a couple of decades.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There was a Moto2 rider in practice at Indianapolis yesterday who did some kerb hopping and popped both tyres off the rims and stayed on long enough to come to a safe standstill. That's a pretty good flat.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
My favorite flat tire story was several years back...

My wife had drove to Colorado and put studded tires on the car and didn't change them for the drive back to Phoenix.

We figured we'd just wear them out before buying new regular tires but it picked up a nail or something so it had a slow leak and I took the car to auto shop around the corner to have them fix it.

This young mechanic comes out to check it and turned white as a ghost as he looked at the tires...

'My god sir! you have hundreds of nails in all your tires!'

I couldn't contain myself, I just burst out laughing, being a desert dweller he didn't know what studded snow tires even were let alone ever see one.

By the time left with the little hole patch on the one tire with the slow leak all the other mechanics were laughing too, poor kid ;-}

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Not a flat story but this is similar to KC's.

When I moved from Miami Florida to Denver Colorado I was driving an almost new Ford van. It was in late October and it was going to be an early winter. I was coming across Kansas and it was cold. My windshield needed cleaning so I hit the windshield washers and things got worse. I squirted some more and things really got bad. So bad that I had to pull over and try to clean the windshield by hand.

"My gosh! That's ICE on my windshield!" I made it to a gas station and told the guy what had happened. He laughed. "You don't have any windshield washer solvent." He said. "You can't use water. It freezes at 32 degrees." It was in the high 20s.

See, we didn't use solvent in Miami. Pure water always worked just fine.
Welcome to winters, Tom.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
rambling...
I would like to get a big gold nugget or diamond ring stuck in my tire.

Buddy of mine in Alaska has been complaining because its 70 degrees.

KC, that funny as s**t!
That kid was probably thinking you were insane driving on all them nails.