'Rolled Out' my first build of the year

GoldenMotor.com

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
This one was a bit of a challenge. It's a complete from-scratch build (well, except for the chain and sprockets), wheels as well. I had to measure and bend tubes a couple of times to get it to come together.

Stamped it's build number in (CT-2014-01 if you're curious), and I say it's done.

I think it turned out pretty well. The crank works, the back wheel turns. I'll see how well it runs soon.

Attachments

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Okay, to explain a bit now... ;)

I took an night school shop class from the local school board.. it was called "Introduction to Metal Sculpture" (even got a certificate at the end).

I had no idea what to make, so spent the first night basically showing anyone who wanted to know how to use the mig welder and having a good time throwing arcs. By the second class I had the idea of making a wind catcher, but not just a wind catcher; I wanted to make one that showed a bit of me and what I do... one that I could hang outside over the over head garage door in the lane.

Once I had the idea, it wasn't hard to shape out what I wanted. The end result is approximately 1/3 scale of a bike. The motor is a 1/2" carriage bolt with a stack of two different outside dia. washers. The sprockets were salvaged from a crusty derailier, the chain from a wrecked kid's bike. The tank I pretty much made freehand to fit the frame. This is all mig welds, either at the school with a big machine or with my little one in the garage. (*edit: Okay, I lied.. I briefly forgot, I did use the spot welder to tack the wheels together before welding).

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sort of highjacking your thread here,CT.
Here's one a little smaller. It was a birthday present from my niece.
The wheels spin and the fork turns. The pedals and sprockets don't work but whoever did this put a lot of time into it. The tires are big rubber 'O' rings and the saddle is upholstered.

Tom

Attachments

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I don't mind, Tom. That's pretty neat. They did a good job on it.

I originally thought I'd put 'tires' made of some sort of door-seal type foam around the rims, but probably won't. That's my second try at a seat. The first one I tried wasn't working out, I was trying to shape it a lot more with heat, the hammer and assortment of anvils but at 2" wide and 3" long it wasn't working out for me.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This one was a bit of a challenge. It's a complete from-scratch build (well, except for the chain and sprockets), wheels as well. I had to measure and bend tubes a couple of times to get it to come together.

Stamped it's build number in (CT-2014-01 if you're curious), and I say it's done.

I think it turned out pretty well. The crank works, the back wheel turns. I'll see how well it runs soon.
CTripps, that is the best kind of sign you can hang. Image-recognition is processed by the brain much faster than words which must be read. People can see, in an instant, what they'll find here. And motion not only attracts attention but has also been shown to positively influence most people's buying habits. This is a really cool thing you've built!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I don't mind, Tom. That's pretty neat. They did a good job on it.

I originally thought I'd put 'tires' made of some sort of door-seal type foam around the rims, but probably won't. That's my second try at a seat. The first one I tried wasn't working out, I was trying to shape it a lot more with heat, the hammer and assortment of anvils but at 2" wide and 3" long it wasn't working out for me.
Rubber hose!

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
CTripps, that is the best kind of sign you can hang. Image-recognition is processed by the brain much faster than words which must be read. People can see, in an instant, what they'll find here. And motion not only attracts attention but has also been shown to positively influence most people's buying habits. This is a really cool thing you've built!
Thanks Allen.. it was fun to figure it out.

I'm hoping that my landlord doesn't freak out once I hang it on the garage (still need a couple of lag bolts..) but then, they rarely notice anything I do to the place anyway.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Some years ago, working in a warehouse, I made a cardboard plane in spare time. If I can find a picture of it I'll post it. 6' x 6' aerobatic style single seater, hung by a wing tip from a metal frame thingy we never used.

I was quite please how it turned out, as I'd never done that sort of thing before. I'd only made a sort of cardboard late 20s high wing monoplane previously as a present for my nephew that upset my sister. She'd bought him (7-ish years old) a pirate castle for his birthday. She opened the back of the car up, he saw the plane and took off down the garden with it.