Kickstand. Anyone tried this one?

GoldenMotor.com

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I liked it until I saw the price .

I wore out my bicycle in a years heavy motorized use.
My roadmaster Mt fury cost $39.00 last year.
Around January.
I would rather replace the bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys. Yeah, the price is a little steep, I'll agree. I'll look around here locally and see what I can come up with. I'm getting tired of that 'click, click, clcik noise from my old stand when my pedals hit it when it drops down while riding. I keep kicking it back up but the bumps keep knocking it down again. I tried tightening the spring tension but that didn't help much. I like the idea of a dual stand; makes it possible to kick start the engine in the garage for tuning and stuff. I have work stand that I built but its too heavy to carry around.
I'll let you know what I come up with.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Well one thing I can say is having a kick stand like that should make it much easier to change a rear flat on the road.

I had a heck of a time and to this day I still have the same kick stand laff

FR31MB/Fixing flat on the road - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oh wow, Fair,
That second photo looks like something you'd find abandoned on the side of the road.
I hope at least that you had wrenches with you.
Did you see my post about using model airplane propellers for tire tools? They work great. I have a couple that work better than any tool I've tried. You need the big ones, 18 / 20 inch props and the carbon composite ones are better than wood. I know a lot of guys use their fingers but the propellers make the job much easier on the finger tips.
Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Having engines front and rear on "The Iron Dragon", I REALLY need a good bikestand. First I used the rear stand and a block of wood. When that failed, I used the rear stand AND a center stand with adjustable leg. The center stand's casting broke, so I rremoved both stands and installed this:

BICYCLE ALLOY DOUBLE KICKSTAND 26" CRUISER BRAND NEW - eBay (item 160291947326 end time Oct-20-08 09:52:03 PDT)

This seems to work well 95% of the time, but I've caught my bike a few times as it was falling.

The lamp posts, tree trunks and locking cable are my friends.

I need a rear hoop stand but I don't wanna put my fender back.

HOWEVER...I've ALWAYS used a tether rope to tie my right handlebar grip to the seatpost. Having a front engine offset friction drive, the bike will definitely fall without the rope.

When the rope's not in use, I coil one end tightly around my teardrop tank's filler neck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Having engines front and rear on "The Iron Dragon", I REALLY need a good bikestand. First I used the rear stand and a block of wood. When that failed, I used the rear stand AND a center stand with adjustable leg. The center stand's casting broke, so I rremoved both stands and installed this:

BICYCLE ALLOY DOUBLE KICKSTAND 26" CRUISER BRAND NEW - eBay (item 160291947326 end time Oct-20-08 09:52:03 PDT)

This seems to work well 95% of the time, but I've caught my bike a few times as it was falling.

The lamp posts, tree trunks and locking cable are my friends.

I need a rear hoop stand but I don't wanna put my fender back.

HOWEVER...I've ALWAYS used a tether rope to tie my right handlebar grip to the seatpost. Having a front engine offset friction drive, the bike will definitely fall without the rope.

When the rope's not in use, I coil one end tightly around my teardrop tank's filler neck.
5-7,
That thing looks beefy enough but will it fold up without hitting the crank sprocket or chain? The one I posted folds to the left side when in the up position for that reason.
Tom

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My stand's looks just like Huffy's.

2-door, when folded up, the stand hangs VERY low, less than 2" off the ground.

Having the stand hang that low doesn't bother me because I've never had a problem with it...

yet.:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I shopped around and didn't see anything I liked as well so I bought the high dollar stand.
It's worth the money to me. It folds flat, both legs on the left side and even though it is meant to be cut to match your bike size I left the legs the full length. The balance on my bike came out perfect because I can raise either the front or rear wheel and it stays where I put it. I looked at the alloy stands that several of you suggested but they all appear to ride too low and could hit the ground. This one folds up as high as a standard kickstand. Looks good too, polished aluminum.
Tom

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Looks like a nice kickstand. I wouldn't be able to use that one because my muffler is right there though.

I bought a rear hoop stand from Spookytooth, but because of the way my derailer mounts, I can't put it on the bike. So I still have no kickstand :(

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
wow that is a great stand but it costs more than half of my bike! lets see 89-44 = 45 i must have the cheapest ride in town. i like it alot though mine does ride very low and it doesn't stay tight at all and it bent when a friend sat on it with the kick down. i may consider that one on my next build.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You're lucky yours just bent. I had a kickstand (just a regular one) on my schwinn mb and I tried to just lean the bike onto the kickstand to kick over the motor with the pedals....snapped in half. I'm betting it was a cheapie kickstand, the metal looked like the metal on our china motors :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very kewl 2door. Gonna put them on my wish list. Have a couple of bikes with double kickstands. Much nicer then the leaning type. Pretty important part if you think about it. Know I about cry when my bike falls over sitting there. (dang embarrassing too)