orville and wilbur

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
does any one have pictures of orville and wilbur wright bicycles or shop ?
drn2 drn2
I just walked past it a month ago :) There shop resides about a mile from me in Greenfield village. It's not open for a few months, but I'll look to see if I have some photos laying around. I usually go there 2-3 times a week. It's a nice place to walk around with the family.

https://www.thehenryford.org/exhibits/pic/2012/12_june.asp

Its a neat shop, hard to believe what was achieved in there.

I've ridden the motor assisted bicycle there a few times.
they have a pretty cool show at least once a year that attracts a following of the whizzer and very old motor bike kits.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cough, cough, - as a Kiwi I have to mention the name, Richard Pearce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pearse
Fascinating reading. Thanks Ann.
Makes me wonder how many other talented people were never recognzed for their achievements and the credit went to those with better publicity.

I think of the guy who invented the 'Weed Whacker'. He put fishing line in a tin can and attached it to the shaft of an electric motor. I read that he never got a dime for his invention. There are probably many more stories like that. I've also read that Thomas Edison and Henery Ford were famous for taking credit for inventions that their employees came up with and were never credited with the work.

I'm not saying the Wright brothers didn't achieve powered, controlled flight. But it certainly isn't inconceivable that someone did it before them.

Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Thanks Tom :) I grew up with MOTAT being my favourite place to visit as a great deal of the Peace aircraft relics are kept there along with a beautiful restoration of his last aircraft and a lovely reconstruction of one of his early aircraft. His engines are fascinating, pure farm blacksmith tech and they worked! In my teens I used to spend ages with my nose pressed to the glass cases and that's where I learned that it's possible to make just about anything you please with common handtools.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
It's all about the patent on the 1902 Wright glider. A glider, not a powered aircraft. The patent was for three axis control. Pitch, roll, and yaw. Three axis control is used in ALL aircraft, rockets, and submarines. They protected their patent and won. The Wrights are given credit for this discovery. Others may have messed around with it but the Wrights identified and developed it, and got the patent. The picture I posted earlier was of this very glider demonstrating three axis control in flight. Better to figure out how to fly first before stuffing an engine into it. Kind of like the bicycle before the motorcycle!

Last edited: