What other hobbys do you have

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'm also a serious unmotorized bicyclist. I don't think I'll ever give that up.

Book collector. At one time I had enough of them for it to be considered a library. But many have fallen by the wayside over the years. And now it's just a collection. But the digital age has changed that and I'm less interested in print on paper.

I also **** a lot.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Audio, home theater, home improvement, fishing, boating, cooking, shooting, rifles, pistols, shotguns, archery, astronomy and reading (fiction)

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Electric rc indoor flying and some quads...( over the jets now). Also into vintage cars and restorations etc...some racing ties still too

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
Toy Trains: G Scale, O Scale, N Scale.
Fishing/Fly Fishing, .22 Rifle Plinking
Rock Collecting, Lapidary/Silversmith /Jewelry Making
And a whole bunch more not listed!
I guess you'd say I like to dabble in a variety of things.

Dave

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Toy Trains: G Scale, O Scale, N Scale........

Dave
Coming from a railway family as I do (mostly on my Mum's side of the family) I couldn't help being keen on trains and railways. For a long time i collected vintage '0' gauge tinplate trains, but most of my collection has gone now and I only kept a small handful of favourite pieces. I used to build my own locos too, - British prototypes and always steam. I don't like diesels.
'G' scale took my fancy for a while, but I sold all my commercially made stuff some time ago. These days I sometimes handbuild the very occasional model based on New Zealand timber tramway practice to around 16mm to the foot scale just for the simple joy of making a nice model from raw materials.

After I discovered Lego I now do nearly all of my railway empire building with Lego (and clone system) bricks and parts. I find it's like working on a 3D jigsaw puzzle only you get to decide how complicated you want the puzzle to be :)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
This isn't a hobby.....it's an obsession!

But on the side I do like building all different types of solid body electric guitars, surfing, racing, chasing women, hiking, spending time with my 4 sons, hanging with and helping my parents and stuff like that.

What exactly is a hobby? I have a jobby......

dnut

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
Coming from a railway family as I do (mostly on my Mum's side of the family) I couldn't help being keen on trains and railways. For a long time i collected vintage '0' gauge tinplate trains, but most of my collection has gone now and I only kept a small handful of favourite pieces. I used to build my own locos too, - British prototypes and always steam. I don't like diesels.
'G' scale took my fancy for a while, but I sold all my commercially made stuff some time ago. These days I sometimes handbuild the very occasional model based on New Zealand timber tramway practice to around 16mm to the foot scale just for the simple joy of making a nice model from raw materials.
:)
My Tinplate is mostly Pre War Marx with a few American Flyer & Lionel rolling stock pieces and a growing collection of tin plate accessories. All of my G scale engines are Steamers barring 2 Mack Gas Loco's.
2 of my 3 N scale loco's are Diseaseals/dismals/diesels, all my O scale loco's are Steamers.
Current projects include converting a Scientific Toys (p.o.s.) G scale 2-4-0 locomotive to a Marx O scale wind up motor & O gauge pilot. also replacing trucks & wheels on the tender.

Dave

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I like repairing/ restoring nearly anything mechanical or electrical.
Lately though I seem to just concentrate on sitting in my comfy chair in front of this damm computer.
Hobbies take money. That, I have very little of.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
I used to be into model railroading until it got too expensive. But I'll always be a railfan. I guess my current hobby would be flightsimming. Belong to 2 virtual airlines, one of which I'm VP of operations. Something I like to do to relax.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
My Tinplate is mostly Pre War Marx with a few American Flyer & Lionel rolling stock pieces and a growing collection of tin plate accessories. All of my G scale engines are Steamers barring 2 Mack Gas Loco's.
2 of my 3 N scale loco's are Diseaseals/dismals/diesels, all my O scale loco's are Steamers.
Current projects include converting a Scientific Toys (p.o.s.) G scale 2-4-0 locomotive to a Marx O scale wind up motor & O gauge pilot. also replacing trucks & wheels on the tender.

Dave
I had quite a lot of Marx at one time with some Lionel and American Flyer, but my main interest was in the British makers such as Hornby, Bassett Lowko and the like. One day I met a guy who had a a fair bit of Hornby tinplate, but wanted to change over to American outline trains. Needless to say a deal was struck and we both went away delighted with the outcome.
Before I stopped collecting I was very much into looking for the smaller British makers such as Chad Valley, Mettoy and Brimtoy. Most serious collectors frown on these cheaper trainset offerings, but I think they are quite delightful.

by the way don't knock the plastic 'G' scale trains like Scientific Toys and New Bright Cosmickid. I've built some very nice models very cheaply using parts from those trainsets.

Paintgun I hear what you're saying. One of the reasons why I would handbuild the locos I wanted was because I simply couldn't afford to buy the factory made equivalent. Over the years I've had '00' gauge layouts, tried 'N' and hated it, experimented with American 'H0' and then moved back to British practice in finescale 'P4' and then finescale 'S'. Tiring of all the 'watchmaking' involved with 'P4' and 'S' is what started me collecting tinplate trains. All the joys of childhood Christmas mornings revisited once more and I could play trains without threatening my eyesight with building tiny exact scale models. Ha ha ha, freeedom and it was GOOD!

The first picture is one of my 'G' scale models of a New Zealand timber tramway flatcar. And yes I do use Playmobil people (klickies) with my 'G' scale models coz it's fun :) The next three pictures are of some of my handbuilt '0' gauge locos. I only have the green one now as I sold the rest of my handbuilt locos when I first became ill and was badly in debt.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My avatar is one. Hot rods have been a focus for me since well before I was old enough to drive. My Dad bought me a 1934 Ford when I was 13 and I've owned a rod of some kind ever since.

Airplanes have always fascinated me too and flying the real ones occupied a lot of years of my life but radio control models have also been a fun hobby. I especially loved full scale planes where the builder must try to duplicate details into the construction. The photos show a Cessna 140 that has a nine foot wingspan and a complete scale cockpit. Because it is a replica of those flown by officers of the Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission you'll see a Colt 45 (G.I Joe accessories) and a pair of handcuffs in the right seat.

Tom

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I've been into RC for years. Started with electric cars and trucks, then got into nitro trucks and boats. I've built several huge gas powered boat hulls including a twin 50cc husqvarna powered monster that sold for $2500 when finished.
Unfortunately I lost all my parts and pics in a house fire.
I'm thinking about a HPI baja next.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois
2door, love the plane, of course. And that is one B-B-B-Bad to the bone Sedan.

Intrepid, very nice scratch-built work.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I've been into RC for years. Started with electric cars and trucks, then got into nitro trucks and boats. I've built several huge gas powered boat hulls including a twin 50cc husqvarna powered monster that sold for $2500 when finished.
Unfortunately I lost all my parts and pics in a house fire.
I'm thinking about a HPI baja next.
Oh that's awful, my heart goes out to anyone who suffers such a destructive loss.

Intrepid, very nice scratch-built work.
Thanks paintgun :)