Newb Troubleshoot help

GoldenMotor.com

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
Hi guise, I`m SmokerX. I just bought a pre-installed 80cc on a schwinn beach cruiser. I would have just built my own, but no matter how I added it up it was cheaper to get this pre-install.(i got a good deal).

After replacing the broken clutch cable with a Bicycle brake cable, it started right up. It shook real bad, so I tightened the nuts and bolts that attached the engine to the frame(fixed most of the shaking). The spark plug unscrews, when shaking, So I tightened down with an adjustable open end model wrench(fixed). Then the muffler bolts shook loose, So I replaced the lock nuts and added lockwashers(fixed, although im thinking about adding a giant metal hose clamp to hold the muffler to the frame). I`m also thinking about adding a glue type product to lock the threads of the nuts and bolts, if need be. Maybe rubber spacers between the engine and frame, Like spacers for a skateboard between the trucks and the board, to reduce vibrations transferred into the frame. I also unscrewed the carb and rinsed the filter with water.

So, Then the chain started falling off and I crushed my finger, Not realizing the chain was frozen in the Clutch, from a single link falling off the gear tooth in the clutch. After opening up the clutch and re-chaining that gear. the chain unfroze and re-chained the wheel gear. That`s where I am now. the engine chain looks loose.

1. does the chain sit on top of or under the plastic guide wheel that sends the chain to the back wheel.?

2. The choke is in chinese. So is the choke lever up or down to choke?( i forget when I opened the carb.)

3. Is my chain too loose since its slipping? (chain falls off at full throttle)

4. My carb leaks gas from where the plastic piece fits to the metal. Does it need a gasket there? (it doesn`t have one)

Thanks In advance for any help with this. Sorry for any redundancy. I`m drowning in a sea of information. I`ll keep posting more questions here If that`s alright. (^)

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
1. The chain sits on top of the tensioner. The tensioner causes issues for some people. Search around on here, there is a way to eliminate the tensioner completely.

2. Choke on is up, choke off is down.

3. You should have about 3/4" of play (up/down) on the top run of the chain. Also check the chain alignment, as that can cause issues.

4. You mean the plastic air cleaner? Does it constantly leak gas? Could be a float problem allowing the carb to fill up with gas. There is a post by Norman on here how to completely disassemble the carb and check everything.

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
Thanks for the help mate. Much appreciated

1. If the tensioner is the plastic wheel that feeds the chain into the back wheel gear. The bike wont work unless the chain is fed under that wheel. Im guessing if I adjusted that wheel upwards To create tension in the chain it would work. since that`s why it needs to be fed under(to create enough tension in the chain so it doesn`t fall off). INGENIUS!!

4. Yes, the Aircleaner( looks like some kind of sponge, in the plastic air intake on the carb.) Floods with gas along with the entire carb. Then leaks out after riding. You are completely right sir.dance1

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if you don't have an in line fuel filter do get one. One with clear plastic with a paper element sold at wally world in the lawn and garden section which right now is covered in Christmas stuff here. auto parts stores and tractor supply stores will also have the filter. your float/needleseat might have some trash in it if you don't have a filter.
You will need to take the carb off and clean the seat and the floats needle the trash that is in these gas tanks from welding them up and the rust that forms for them sitting or those guys whizzing in them before shipping plays h$ll with the carb sooner or later. you can check out my post in the classic post on the carb etc. the pictures wil help too if you go and look at them.
Norman

SmokerX

Dec 10, 2008
Austin
I got her second hand without the in-line fuel filter, so I should clean the carb.

I`m pretty sure its not stolen, since the guy I got it from seemed trustworthy, said he built it and needed another project. and proved trustworthy about it starting after I replaced the clutch cable. He also had intimate knowledge of the bike; advertised in a public place and gave me a box of spare parts along with the bike. He also looked like he had better things to do than bike theft(Everyone I know who rides bike has had a bicycle stolen).I`ve recorded the serial #`s from the bottom of the frame, where the pedals meet. and plan on etching the #`s onto the block.

So, my new muffler bolts held together, and caused More shaking to transfer into the muffler, which broke my muffler in two pieces. I pulled the tensioner wheel up, and pushed it farther back on the frame before that happened. The engine chain is now as tight as the bicycle chain. It was running pretty smooth before the muffler broke. Also the new chain tension stops the chain from slapping the back wheel.