Nirve switchblade in progress

GoldenMotor.com

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
So needless to say I am very happy with my first build, I took her out for a spin around Fiesta Island the other week
Pics of my new kickstand and engine mount placement will be uploaded shortly .wee.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That chain tensioner is doing absolutely nothing but taking up space. Either remove it or relocate it to the lower chain run. I advised you on this in your previous thread.

Better yet, get rid of it. You have almost two inches of drop out length to adjust chain tension. Why insist on using a tensioner?

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Congrats on your first build from a fellow Nirve rider! The Switchblade is definitely a tough bike to motorize and it sure looks nice when done IMHO!

I agree with the above posts:

Tensioner/idlers on the torque part of the chain is a dubious move unless you spend more time starting your engine than you do using it to assist you :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I want to also ring in here and say that is making a nice looking bike build, no good reason at this point to say much about the tensioner/idler so I'll just say that I completely agree with all other comments on the subject so far, in 5 words....... (move it or loose it....!)

Great looking bike.....
Map
reddd

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
That chain tensioner is doing absolutely nothing but taking up space. Either remove it or relocate it to the lower chain run. I advised you on this in your previous thread.

Better yet, get rid of it. You have almost two inches of drop out length to adjust chain tension. Why insist on using a tensioner?

Tom
Well I'm not using it so much as a tensioner but more a chain guide, I removed it as well as a few links as suggested but I had the chain falling off every ride since my engine mount was slipping a bit. After moving the engine mount I tried to run it without the tensioner and it still wouldn't keep the chain on the sprocket (bike came to a screeching halt after the chain became bound up in the coaster arm from losing the master link on the road)
Right now there's tension on the bottom chain and I'm using the tensioner to guide the chain onto the flower nut (it was slightly off and making a popping noise when the chain entered the engine)
But I would like to take it off since it looked much cleaner without it!
I'm almost positive the chain was coming off since the chain wasn't perfectly centered on the sprocket, would anyone suggest using the mani mechanic hub set up? I've heard a lot of bad and good things about em

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
I think the whole problem is coming from the front engine mount not being perfect, I'm planning on remaking it since the idler pulley is guiding the chain a little to the left since the engine is sitting a tiny bit to the left due to the crudely fabricated front mount.

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Here's a picture a friend took of me trying out the new dot helmet I picked up new on craigslist for $30 as well as a faux leather roll bag I got from walmart for $20, I also installed my new banana seat and sissy bar set up but you cant see em in this pic

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here's a picture a friend took of me trying out the new dot helmet I picked up new on craigslist for $30 as well as a faux leather roll bag I got from walmart for $20, I also installed my new banana seat and sissy bar set up but you cant see em in this pic
Looking good man..... get all the bugs worked out and your gonna have a sharp ride, I wish I could come across a good deal on one of those bikes, I'd jump all over it and have a cool chopper in my fleet to...LOL!

Map
reddd

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
Thanks guys! I'm planning on getting the 212cc harbor freight predator engine but I'm going to wait and see how my friend's 79cc predator turns out since it looks very similar

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks guys! I'm planning on getting the 212cc harbor freight predator engine but I'm going to wait and see how my friend's 79cc predator turns out since it looks very similar
The 212cc engine is a much more powerful engine than the 79cc engine, I have two of the 79cc Grey Hound engines still in the box that I have plans for in the future, and I have two of the 196cc Grey Hound engines, one of them has several modifications custom billet rod 14cc head ported, flat top piston, timing advanced 6 degrees, 1.2 ratio rockers, well tuned carb and K&N style filter, and custom built exhaust, this engine pushed my home built go Kart a 50+MPH with my 200lbs on it useing a Noram clutch 15T drive to a 60T driven and 13" tall tires on the rear.

I said all of this to say, if you want power the 212cc engine can give all you'll need on a bike with only a few mods, the 79cc will make a great bike engine also, but it will never even come close to doing what the 212cc engine will do, the bike does have to be built much stronger for the 212cc engine also.

Map
reddd

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
if you can fit 212cc go for it, i would
it will cost you same as if you were to build 79cc

that bike is awesome
There's no doubt the 212 will fit in my frame, I think I could squeeze at least 2 more of these 66cc's into this gap
laff

If you have the tools for the mods required and plan to do things right so the bike will be safe I agree
Do you have any posts with your build's in progress?
From what I understand so far a clutch and jack shaft are required

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
I think I might wait on the 212 for a bit......hahaha
So I've made some some decent progress in the last couple weeks
Got a banana seat and sissy bar
The sissy bar goes over the seat but it looks much cleaner under it so I plan on buying the under seat setup soon
I got a roll bag at walmart for 20$
Extended exhaust pipe (not installed yet due to pedal clearance)
I also got a 6" offroad light from harbor freight which I plan to convert to basically a giant flashlight
Tomorrow morning I'm picking up a gas tank from the Jesse James edition Schwinn stingray for $25 from craigslist
With a bit of tinkering this lady should be looking good!
Here's a picture of the new seat
as well as a poorly ms paint edit on how i want it to look :crash:

Attachments

Fang

May 4, 2013
San Diego
So a little update as of today
Picked up the Jesse James tank for $25 this morning
looks like I will need to widen the back a bit since it's a bit too narrow (it's sitting a little high in the back as you can tell from the pic)
I also put the exhaust on the way it will be routed after its bent a bit
This week I will finish the headlight mount as well as paint the forks flat black after I got at em with the ol grinder flap disc
I'm really liking the way the tank looks in the picture, I'm sure it will look better once the rear is sitting how it should!
Anyone have any suggestions on how I should mount it besides just welding it to the frame? dance1

Attachments