the 109.00 kit from ebay.

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
@Toad - I have that exact engine but haven't mounted it yet. When you get it mounted please give a review because I'd like to hear it from a reputable source.

They gave me the same line: "this china engine love you long time, other type will crap out so sorry no refund"

Of course, I am going to do a few things to it, the stuff I mentioned previously and sanding the head and upper cylinder gasket surfaces of which I forgot to mention.

Notching piston skirt.
Match ports.
Smooth exhaust port
grind off transfer port casting burrs.
trim gaskets.

Those are the major ones right off.

And perhaps I will also give the thing a good swish of varsol (or old gas mix, with caution!) inside the crank case, and work the piston crank pin bearing in the varsol bath while the head is off to wash away any filings.
Annnd I also sealed off my RT carbs choke lever slot, grit was getting in through there, which may or may not have led to my bearing failure.

I will let you know how it works.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Well, I got it today.
As is usual, the clutch plate needed un-sticking.
Did that, pried it with a screwdriver.

The motor seems to be well made as far as HT motor is concerned, it was spray painted silver, so I went and bought flat black, may keep some silver.

The head is a slant, not straight plug, so I don't need my old head after all.
Another good thing, it had no cheesy sticker!

It did have a brass bushing instead of a wrist pin bearing, must find out if I can change it...sometime.

No casting flash in the transfer port :)
But I do have minor cylinder chrome flash on the exhaust port, is it safe to remove that?

All in all, by just looking at it, It seems like a decent motor.

Will update after tweaking it and installing.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
my son and I have both bought kits one from Dax which was a 48cc the other from BGF which was a 66cc. personally from the get go I preferred the Dax. now that said when I got the Dax right off the bat I did a RT carb and voodoo pipe. the BGF has had nothing done to it execpt it now has my Dax head which my son sez gave it more TQ. between the 2 of them though the Dax has better grade bolts in it for starters and even though its a 48cc it has 8mm head studs in it. also on the Dax to my suprise when I put on the Puch 50cc hihi head on it and did the reed port to the jug I found out that I had to use jug gaskets and head gaskets for a 66cc motor not for a 50cc. All that said my smaller motor out of the box idled smother had more low end power and top end then my sons BGF ever had. His runs fine and for what he paid is a good engine but for the exture money Ill stick with Dax engines for my personal rides. As far as the clutches neither of them had any problems. All of that said from my experiance so far with these engines you do get what you pay for ( at least most of the time ).

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Toad - thanks for the update. That's the EXACT motor I received. I noticed the bushing as well, but all in all it seems like a good one. Let me know when it's up and running and how it works out..

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Well I did a bunch of sanding and grinding and rinsing, put the cylinder and head back on, went to torque the head bolts and stripped one of them!

Now I am stalled until I replace them :(

And to think that I assumed because they were black metal that they were hardened!
More like stale liqourice.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Aw man... Well you can order another. Maybe you can even find one at an auto store or hardware store? I torque them to ~ 150 in-lbs and replace the acorn nuts with standard nuts.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
My stud didn't even make it to 10 foot lbs!
Going to see if I can find some rod locally, then maybe order a set online from a certain reputable sponser of this forum.
...Sick Bike Parts sells a hardware kit for 10 bucks that comes with replacement hardware for everything on a chinagirl except the head studs, they have those too but they're not all the same so you have to determine which are the ones you need.

Engine Hardware Kit

Head Stud Kit M6-1.0

Head Stud Kit M8-1.0

Head Stud Kit M8-1.25

btw, the head studs will cost you another 10 bucks but you can always rely on SBP to send quality stuff and to provide topnotch customer service.

...their shipping is pretty damned fast as well so you won't wait long.

peace, bozo

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Well, after searching Canadian Tire, Kent Hardware and Home De-Pot of which none of them had a decent metric stock (Thanks America).
I don't get it, everything uses metric now, but the standard nuts and bolts section is 10x bigger, what the HECK!
Give it up USA, go metric already!
I blame America for my troubles today.

Anyway, I went to a place in the industrial park called Fastenal, got a 1 metre M8 1.25 rod, they let me cut my sizes with their chop saw, went home and man, the strangest thing, the nuts screwed on all wobbly! The threads were wavy, then, I went to file the end off another one and couldn't find where the thread started, it wasn't a contineuos thread, it was like donuts on a pole! One half wavy, one half individual non-continueous threads!
Anyway, I took it back, got a better one (probably more $) in exchange and he threw in some free nuts for my trouble.

So today, I am re-assembling my bike to try and take it for this motors maiden voyage when I was informed it was 20 to 10:00 and the Sun was falling fast!
JEEEZ, sometimes time flies!

It's ready for tomorrow!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Hey, but you gotta love it when the bike is fully prepped for the next day. I ride my bike back and forth to work almost every day, but had a bit of work to do over this weekend. It was driveable yesterday (good thing too, no other way to work), but had a few minor things left to do yet. Thankfully got the rest of it done after work today. Didnt get to take her for a spin, but at least she is ready for tomorrow. And tomorrow is my birthday lol, so I'll be taking a nice little birthday cruise while the wife is away at work (I requested off for my birthday), lol.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Aw man... Well you can order another. Maybe you can even find one at an auto store or hardware store? I torque them to ~ 150 in-lbs and replace the acorn nuts with standard nuts.
What?
150#?
The manual calls for 15#, I do 20#, maybe that was just a typo as I don't think I could do 150# on anything even with an extension handle wrench hehehe ;-}

This is a topic about about an e-bay $109 kit which is what delivered, $130?

And you spend how much time and money to make it work right?

If you look at DAX motors they start with the newest $149 delivered Skyhawks and do all the the normal things like clean the crap out out of the exhaust pipe but in reality there isn't much you have to do to these newest motors.

Sure there are addon things that can really boost performance and it's worth paying people that know how to do it, but for you first and second time builders just start with what the pros use and you are good to go out the box, or enhance it from there so start with what is best so far.

Just my opinion but I'm sorry, I just can't help but snicker every time someone with a 5 year old 'new' e-bay kit has problems to save $20.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Well boys and (girl(s) ? ).
My motor works, after getting gas and walking home because of a leaky gas line and float bowl, discovered despite my carefulness my float bowl gasket was not on, how did I overlook that? Unbelievably I found it amongst the rubble of my build area, yeah, a little black gasket (RT carb) can't believe it!

So, I took it for a burn finally, started right up.
I am breaking it in with Opti2, slightly richer than 100:1 as I discovered my tank doesn't even hold 2 litres (not 2.5) and I used 0.5 packet of Opti2.

Then I noticed smoke coming from my exhaust port, thinking my beer box gaskets (2 layer may be burning up, nope, now upon tightening I discovered I have a stripped stud hole, for crying out loud!

I guess I am going to try JB weld in it, if that fails, an investment in a tap and die set is in order, maybe some heli-coils.

This China Girl is a stripper!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The aluminum is soft enough you should be able to just force a bigger bolt in without tapping. I've done it several times and its always worked for me. If you can get the bigger bolt started with your fingers, it will go in the rest of the way with a socket wrench or whatever. Don't worry about cross threading the bolt, the aluminum is too soft to damage the new threads.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
My first thought was a sheet metal screw actually, but of course it would have to go in the same way each time. (so as not to create new threads again)

I believe you are right , that it can self tap with a bigger bolt.

Something I notice is that the studs are not exactly tight in the holes, they are a loose fit, just waiting to be stripped.

Heli coils woud be ultimate though.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
So, I took the stripper out again today.
Breaking her in with Opti2 at about 80:1 (rough guess, my tank holds less than 2litres, 0.5 packet Opti2)
This motor seems to love Opti2, it idles nicely, sounds good.

I got it up to 45.6km/h (about 28mp/h) , but of course high WOTtage was sporadic, I did a lot of accelerating and engine braking and engine breaking while coasting by engaging the clutch repeatedly, going to get those rings seated real good!
This motor had good compression out of the box, sounded like a rubber boot being pulled out of the mud when I made the piston move by hand.

My old motor after break-in got from 60-63km/h (37-39mph)
I wonder what this one will do?

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Update:
Got the motor up to 49+ km/h, still doing the acceleration bursts to help seat the rings.
Down to almost 0.5 tank on about 80:1 Opti2 (thought it was 100:1 but small tank)

This motor has the bolt on fly weights, this motor vibrated like a bee in the beginning (like carpal tunnel bad), but now at WOT I can still see in the rear view, my other motor was so vibraty that I could not see behind in the rear view at WOT!
This new motor is a LOT more balanced and smooth and I am led to believe the lower con rod bearing on my 'Dying Horse' desintegrated due to vibration?

I don't know if I just got a good balanced one, but so far i would recommend this motor.

PS, I don't know how much influence the Opti2 has on how this motor runs, but it feels, sounds and moves pretty good so far and I am only less than a half tank burned!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My mirrors used to vibrate like crazy, but then I got some stick-on blind spot mirrors and the blind spot mirrors don't vibrate at all. They were like $2 for a pair at walmart. The blind spot mirrors are convex (objects are closer than they appear) and take some getting used to, but once you get used to it they are perfect.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Update:
Got the motor up to 49+ km/h, still doing the acceleration bursts to help seat the rings.
Down to almost 0.5 tank on about 80:1 Opti2 (thought it was 100:1 but small tank)

This motor has the bolt on fly weights, this motor vibrated like a bee in the beginning (like carpal tunnel bad), but now at WOT I can still see in the rear view, my other motor was so vibraty that I could not see behind in the rear view at WOT!
This new motor is a LOT more balanced and smooth and I am led to believe the lower con rod bearing on my 'Dying Horse' desintegrated due to vibration?

I don't know if I just got a good balanced one, but so far i would recommend this motor.

PS, I don't know how much influence the Opti2 has on how this motor runs, but it feels, sounds and moves pretty good so far and I am only less than a half tank burned!
Vibraty.......reeeeeally? I'm sorry....i'm gonna hafta look that one up....:D

I'm gonna try some opti 4 x 12 and see what kind of vision that gets me......stay tuned!

laff

vibraty.....rotfl

and the most I ever spent on a 2-stroke china kit was $137.00 shipped......and they were what they were.......cheap chinese 2-stroke kits......not very exciting.

dnut

Last edited: