Enclosed Needle Bearing?

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
And on this topic, has anyone considered screening the intake-port plenums with something like honeycomb flow straighteners to protect against failure-junk getting into the combustion-chamber? Or maybe some earth magnets JBed to the crankcase interior/exterior?

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Follow up: my HK1015 failed today, and I made the mistake of not listening to the alerts. I should note that this failure occurred within a few days of me changing my premix. Dunno if this is responsible for the failure, but I imagine it's related. Anyway, the engine ran GREAT until total failure. It ran about 5 miles clacking before it went though. I actually removed the head AS SOON as I heard the clacking. I attributed it to carbon-buildup on the exhaust port. The piston head DID have what looked like specks of shiny metal pieces on it...I should have heeded that sign. These were pieces of the needle-casing. If I'd remembered to check for piston-play while I had the cylinder off, I'da saved myself a piston, two rings, and a cylinder!!! Welp: $30 and a walk-of-shame home. Don't be like me: check EVERYTHING when you have that jug off! I bought the HK1015 to avoid EXACTLY what happened to me tonight. It warned me, but I didn't listen!

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Back on the road with my Frankenstein's Engine (my spare with parts from others) while awaiting a new piston/rings/jug set. I did install another HK1015 since I still love 'em. I'll keep tabs on its performance.