BGF kit won't start

GoldenMotor.com

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
This is my second bike engine, as my old china girl has a stripped thread on the engine block (no compression).

I unbolted everything off of my old engine (bought from a luckyearbird on eBay) and pop in my new engine (bought from boygofast on eBay), bolting on the exhaust, carburetor, and CDI from my old setup. I check for fuel, its flowing. I haven't wired the kill switch because I haven't started it yet, but when I do, it doesn't start. I run it down a hill and hear the piston going, there's even some popping noises that go off and a little exhaust comes from the intake but no power.

I've tried the putting the choke up, down, mid ways... and no go.
I've disassembled the carb and looked for clogs and no go
I've put in three different spark plugs, chinese, champion, and NGK... no go
I've tried replacing the CDI and Magneto... no go..
I've tried checking the Magneto timing and it is in the proper position.

please help me before I put a sledge hammer to this thing...
:-||

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Checked for spark? Checked that the plug is wet? Loosen the gas cap? Cranked the engine too much - maybe flooded? Try starting fluid?

Next step - check the sticky from AI.Fisherman at the top of this forum section for trouble shooting.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
I'd start all over again. Install the new engine with all the parts that came with it rather than parts from the old engine.

Once it's up and running then you can play with mixing and matching your old parts.

RPM

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you do use the hammer, get pictures.

The way you posted, not sure if you connected the kill switch or not...if you did, dis-connect it.

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
Sorry for the misleading sentences, what i meant to say is that i took off the kill switch.

I put all new parts on the engine. I went ahead and tested the spark, and there is a spark. I rolled it down the hill of shame with no avail. Went I was done the engine was warm but didn't start...

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
your flooding it do you live in high altitude area?? you might need a smaller jet. but i say screw the stock carb and find a pw 80 carb they are mor tunable

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
Ya, I've tried full choke, half choke, and no choke without any luck. Ya this motor is new. I wonder if I should just run down the hill just to break it in... I'm out of ideas at this point lol

FireFaux

Jul 7, 2011
USA
Ya I put the old magneto in when I was trying to fix it in the process of elimination.. It didn't work.. Maybe I should try a new magneto and new cdi too

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Okay if there's spark ,fuel check for air leaks or low compression,like leaks around the intake and carb,check for loose head bolts but don't over tighten them.hope this helps.I'd put a new plug in the plug wire and lay it on the head some where it's a good ground and roll the bike to see it sparks if you get some spark your electric parts are good then.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
find AL fisherman testing link and it tells you what to tighten them too.I don't remember there's two different size bolts 6mm and 8mm they are different in torque.