Hot Peppers

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I like hot peppers. My wife, Char grows a beautiful veggie garden every year and she always has several varieties of peppers that she uses for salsa and other dishes.
A couple of years ago I heard about 'Ghost Peppers' or these puppies> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Bhut_Jolokia
and I wanted to try them. Last year she bought two from a nursery and planted them. Instead of the mega-hot things what came up were 'habenero' peppers. Hot, but I've had them, eaten them and enjoyed them. The plants were apparently mis-labled. This year she bought two more and they are near to harvest. When ripe they are supposed to be a redish purple color but one fell off the vine that was all orange.
I tried a 1/4" of it tonight with my dinner. Wow!

If you like hot pepper but have never tried the 'ghost pepper', you're in for a treat. My lips, tongue and throat are still burning and it's been close to an hour since dinner.

These things are dangerous. Be careful if you try them. And DO NOT touch your face or eyes after handling them. They're like battery acid.

Tom

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
We gave a couple to a co-worker one time, he flicked them up and caught them in his mouth and munched them down. We thought he was going to die, I laughed.... Never did like him...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Built a bigger tolerance and a craving to them from growing mines. Plus was eating chili since back when the kiddie high chair. A few years back when I loved to drink. The perfect morning hang over was about two heaping palm fulls of a combination of fresh Cayenne Chiltepin's, Chile Pequin, Tobasco's and Caribbean Red Habanero's from the garden . What ever I could pick in a rush out the door, right out of the yard.

This combined endorphins that are hard to explain lol.

Had a place called The Frontier Restaurant. Their number nine with bacon, potatoes, green chili and eggs. Man it was the perfect combination of flavor. So to make a long story short. That year I kept it up until a couple of mornings I accidentally perfected it.

This achieved the same effect against the back of my head as eating too much ice cream to fast. ''Brain Freeze'' With the chili it lasted darn near a half hour tho. Guaranteed to snap a fellow out of last night's boo's lol.

Had some vicious sign a waver to buy it, type hot sauce years ago that I built up a little tolerance too. I kept some corn chips behind the seat of my truck and that bottle for when hanging out with the local wino's in Austin Texas .

The idea was to casually eat some in front of everybody but not tell'em what they were in for. Mean as heck I know...it was the crowed at the time.

I gave this guy some . He was ah supposed to be real darn ornery. When he pored it on the corn chip it was friggin over flowing!! I thought man !! I better just stop this poor guy right now !! He said in so many words shut up. I was from a quick shudder of words like go for it !!:D

This guy was out in the parking lot for twenty minutes walking around in circles with his hands on his had. Thought he was looking for dirt to eat.rotfl

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Got something else that came out pretty prank funny. Canned tuna mayonnaise sweet relish pickles and mebbe a hard boiled egg all combined with bread to make a great sandwich.

Over the years The mayonnaise got phased out. Do it with a Avocado. Guacamole style. Way better .:)

Any how I had got this new cuisinart blender. So was putting tuna in there with a Avocado playing with it. When an idea came to mind..Every one around me would not fall for my chili pranks any more.

So you guessed it. Took some Guacamole to work. After it came out of that blender no body had a clue tuna was mixed it that. :D Hey was eating it like it was part of my lunch. Somebody always wants to sneak a chip in there rotfl

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I love hot peppers! When I can't get them or are too lazy to get/prepare/make my roomates angry, I fall back on my favorite stuff:

Castillo Habanero sauce. I get it at mercados, it's cheap and delicious. Can also find on Amazon and eBay. I put it on almost everything :D

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I learned early on in my roommate's years. If I make it all hot as all get go I did not have to share it. That worked out to my favor a few times, in hard times.. Would make a great big honking pot of stew for my lunches and every body had to have a bowl. Shoot there would not be any lunches left other wise.:)

Times were not always that hard lol. There was a couple of times that worked out for me.

I wanna grow these next year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Scorpion_Butch_T_pepper

and have for a long time been wanting to grow one of these.

They grow pretty big! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens

Can't forget the cold climate acclimated banana tree. Don't really need one but gotta make it happen at least once. http://reviews.ebay.com/How-To-Grow-Bananas-In-Cold-Areas-Successfully?ugid=10000000001629210

http://www.ehow.com/how_5719656_grow-banana-trees-colder-climates.html

http://youtu.be/msjUsRMgEVM

Last edited:

webeneo1

Apr 17, 2012
Denver
I tried a 1/4" of it tonight with my dinner. Wow!

If you like hot pepper but have never tried the 'ghost pepper', you're in for a treat. My lips, tongue and throat are still burning and it's been close to an hour since dinner.

These things are dangerous. Be careful if you try them. And DO NOT touch your face or eyes after handling them. They're like battery acid.

Tom
I try to avoid punishing myself but I may be missing something....

never mind I think I will continue not punishing myself ;)

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
Last summer at the lake I made up a jar of sauce from Scotch Bonnet peppers . After I was finished with the blender I rinsed it out and left it on the rack to dry . The next day we used the blender to make smoothies . After the first sip people were running to the sink for water . The oils from the peppers stayed behind in the blender . I thought that they were great . We had red hot strawberry smoothies . I pled ignorance but no one believed me . Try it you'll like it . ... D.J.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
D.J.
I just finsihed dinner and I had a Scotch Bonnet from my wife's garden. Yes, it was hot, and spicy and tasty but...if you like hot you need to try the Ghost Pepper. The plastic of your blender would probably melt instead of just holding the heat. Those things are unbelievable.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I couldn't wait...I tried the pickled cayenne's. Not very hot really. Is it possible that the drought made them not-so-hot?

The banana peppers I pickled are waaaay better than store bought, and it was too simple. I made 8 quarts to start, but will be doing more this weekend. I am experimenting with the recipe. Some are getting a bit of garlic. Some get a little sugar in the brine. I made a few jars of banana and cayenne's together. So far they are all pretty tasty.

The drought did kill about everything but the peppers....weird.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I wish you guys could all try the salsa my wife made today from her garden pickings.
It is unbelievable. All fresh peppers and tomatos that she grew from seed, no preservatives so you have to refrigerate after opening the jar and without a doubt the best I've ever tasted. If I had eight or ten jars I'd mail all you guys some. She made ten jars today and the garden is still producing so there'll be more but all she made today is spoken for. Family and friends wait all year for her salsa. Because of the hot dry summer her pepper plants did great. She's going to do a batch and throw in a few of the 'ghost peppers'. I can't wait to taste that stuff.

I'll keep you posted.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I like fresh jalapeno & serrano peppers with a little salt.

But only if the seeds are removed.

I'm a lightweight compared to you fire breathing dragons.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
That sounds like a really good salsa, 2door.

We planted some peppers this year, but it's not the greatest year for our garden.. we might get 3 or four altogether. If they're as tasty as the peas, corn, carrots and radishes were they'll be nice.

I used to keep around a dozen different hot sauces in the fridge, friends would bring me bottles when they came back from trips so some weren't locally available. Some were mostly hot (Dave's Insanity and @$$ in Space), but some had a lot of flavour as well as heat (Scorned Woman, is the only one I sort-of remember the name of).
I love(d) hot wings etc when I was younger, unfortunately my body doesn't like the hot stuff that much any more. :(

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My vet and I were talking about hot sauce yesterday. She said the hottest she ever ate was something called " Anus Angst". Just the name makes me want to try it. :)

Tom

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
O.k. I gotta tell this story. A buddy and I, a few years ago had a garden in his backyard. We had tomatoes, big ones, small ones and small pear shaped ones. We had some squash and other stuff also. But we had some pepper plants too. They did really good that year here. Had Jalapeno, Cayenne and some Habanero's.

One night we picked some peppers and I made some chilli. My buddy was kind enough to dice the Habanero peppers and add a couple to the chilli. The chilli was great to me, he said it "...was almost too hot". We both enjoyed it and his son had tears in his eyes but also enjoyed it. But that's not the story.

After my bro had cut the Habanero peppers he went to the bathroom. Yeah, you guessed it, he didn't wash his hands before he went. Said he was half way through pissing when his "tally whacker" started burning like nothing he had ever felt before. He stripped and jumped in the tub and turned the shower on with only cold water. As he was telling me I started laughing at about "... I forgot to wash my hands before I went." I was in tears by the time he was done.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
LOL Nunya! That's happened to me before, too, but I _did_ wash my hands. Unfortunately, not with strong enough hand scrub.

I have a story, too:

Back in '99, a buddy of mine was dating a girl that me and no one in our group liked. She had the run of him and would insist on my buddy bringing her along to any get-togethers my friends and I would have. Every Wednesday one of us would host a grill party at someone's place and we'd cook and drink some fine brews. Before my buddy started dating this girl, it was pretty much an unofficial "guy's hang out time", and he started bringing her along. This girl was a grump, didn't like any of us much, but would gladly eat what we cooked and help herself to our drinks. Never said "please" or "thank you", ever.

Well it was my turn to host one Friday and I had those little chicken drummies to throw on the grill. I also had some joke hotsauce (like Dave's Insanity sauce) called "Liquid Stoopid". This sauce was serious business, and I proceeded to slather it all over the 3 biggest chicken drummies, knowing that girl would make a bee line for em, as is her way.

So when the grilling's all done, I say "Ladies first!" and she comes over with her plate, sure enough grabs those 3 pieces of chicken. I chuckle like Jokey Smurf inside with a poker face on and everyone else grabs their chicken. We all get to eating and talking and I notice she's already working on the 3rd piece and her beer was gone. She's turning redder almost by the second and then she stops and looks at me, sweat beading all over her forehead:

"Did you put something on this chicken?"
"Yup"
"What the (censored) was it?"
"Liquid Stoopid" (then sounds of laughter from my buddies who know about that sauce)
"what is tha...OMG!"

Now, Liquid Stoopid is one of those sauces that isn't hot right away. It builds and builds and builds, and once you stop eating, it builds much quicker, to a fiery inferno of tongue-torturing pain. She gets up after that "OMG" and runs to the bathroom and doesn't come out for 10 minutes, about the time the effects die down. Water actually makes the effects worse, the only thing you can do is stick a wedge of lime with salt in your mouth.

Well there was no lime or salt, we were drinking Sierra Nevadas. She ended up hunched over the sink with her tongue sticking out under the faucet in the bathroom while we were all laughing about her grabbing the only tainted pieces of chicken. When she came back out looking extremely disheveled and no less red, she threw an empty bottle at my feet and demanded my buddy take her home. She never came to one of our grill parties again :D