3.5HP Briggs and Stratton Engine Questions

GoldenMotor.com

paulclawson3

Feb 12, 2012
Troy, Michigan
Here is the link

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=93432-0192

I was wondering if anyone had this engine or used this engine? Its only $200, plus it holds a full gallon of gas. Its only 3.5HP, I don't know how much CC's that is, I wanted to stay under 49cc due to michigan state law, how would I go about finding how many cc's it is? Also is this Briggs and Stratton Engine good? ALL of my lawnmowers (craftsman) and gas weedwacker (craftsman) were also Briggs and Stratton Engines, they still work. But idk if they ever made a bad one. If anyone can help that'd be great.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thats a good deal on a Briggs. The model # shows it as a 9C.I. At roughly 50cc/3C.I. should be in the 150cc range. Would be an excellent long lived engine.

paulclawson3

Feb 12, 2012
Troy, Michigan
@cannonball 2, is 150cc extrememly fast? If 49cc can take you to 30-35mph, how fast would a 150cc engine take you? I'm roughly 6'0 tall and 160lbs. I don't neccessarily need overkill and I want it to be safe.

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
I am using a Briggs 3.5. great engine. at 147cc/9c.i. not a monster, but faster than you'd want to go...(huge grin) Bomb proof reliabilty. Mine's a 1994, with quite a few hours, and starts with one pull still. AND, cruising at a constant/average 30 (no problem) it gets about 120 miles to the gallon! with a Mikuni carb no less!!!

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I have a briggs 3.5 on my McLane edger. The carb is mounted to the gas tank below and uses a pick up tube to suck up the gas. The factory tube desloved in the rusty tank. I have had nothing but trouble with it sence it was new. It runs real strong when it's running. I think it would be a good thing to mount a carb with a bowl under it instead of a tank then put a tank up near the bars. I just wouldn't know what to do with the 3lbs. of linkage, springs and gov controls.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Paul- don't worry about overkill for motor size. 3 hp is a nice size for a bike.
Gearing is what limits the little bikes, especially 4 stroke motors.
Briggs are very good.
3 hp can get you to 40mph with the right gear ratio and a long road, but that ratio is sluggish for take off.
As for the cc limit, if you look safe (helmet, dayglo vest? mirrors and drive at bike speed) - who would bother you?

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Hey superharry? how do you find the engine number on a briggs where should the number be? I have two 3.75 briggs four strokes and need to get coils for them and was wanting to do that by part number to get the right coil.

Thanks

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Hey superharry? how do you find the engine number on a briggs where should the number be? I have two 3.75 briggs four strokes and need to get coils for them and was wanting to do that by part number to get the right coil.

Thanks
The numbers are on the blower housing , Should be three sets of numbers .

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Paulclawson3,

Just make sure you realize that you can adjust the rpms on this motor since it has a govenor. Stock is set to 2400 rpm. You can adjust to 3450 rpm and 3750 rpm. This is done by adjusting the govenor spring.

Good buy @ $199 with free shipping to a commercial address and low shipping via FedEx to home delivery.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
Hey Sin&@&:, Usually the numbers are on the blower housing. some on the side, some have them on top. the last set will tell what year, type of bearing, size in c.i. , and what type of starter. hope this helps. " msrfan" is a member here that knows Briggs engines forward & back! He helped me and is more than gracious... Ride safe & fast!

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Yes I found them there I had to slow down and look harder. Ok here ya go.

M:98982
T:01 49 01 Sprint 3.75
C:97032054

M:98902
T:1607 B1 Yardmachines 3.75
C:0101315

M:95902
T:551801 Classic 2 3.5
C:94012052

Thats three covers I found along with one rally20" mower complete, another complete motor, Random parts, another blade.

I did notice the motors one has ribs on the block the other one doesn't. I don't have a good mag the thing was rubbing the stator rotor made a mushroom end. the smoother block engine doesn't have a mag.

the complete engine that has the ribs had the yardmachines cover on it.

Would the Pt#796964 be the coil to use. It looks the same as mine with connection underside blade connector?

Um....This would be fun to mount using a solid circle plate to fill in the frame sliding slots motor tilting to lubricate advantages and oil changing ease just loosen tilt back....HHMMM

Cheers and any info helps

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Ok I found my mag coil number #796964 @ ereplacements.com I'm getting 2 of them ordered. Does anyone know if a lawn mower briggs has been mounted on a bike. I have a good idea of how the large circle would mount in frame but just curious if anyone ahas done this before or if a kit has been made.

Cheers

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Ok I found my mag coil number #796964 @ ereplacements.com I'm getting 2 of them ordered. Does anyone know if a lawn mower briggs has been mounted on a bike. I have a good idea of how the large circle would mount in frame but just curious if anyone ahas done this before or if a kit has been made.

Cheers
It can be done, but you have to add an oil dipper to the con rod and plug a hole in the case.