BGF centrifugal clutch

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I want a centrifugal clutch. Particularly one that's a "sprang" type that will let me still use the manual clutch so I can pedal-start the motor.

I understand the cent clutch from zoombicycles works like this, but they're out of stock. The one from Pirate Cycles is also out of stock. Seems like everyone's out of these.

Boygofast on ebay is selling centrifugal clutches. Will it do what I want and allow me to start my bike without the pull-start?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
The CC kits from BGF absolutely most definitely have the sprag in them, and allows you to start you engine that same way you have been, pedal and pop the clutch.

Dooley863

Apr 17, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I want a centrifugal clutch. Particularly one that's a "sprang" type that will let me still use the manual clutch so I can pedal-start the motor.

I understand the cent clutch from zoombicycles works like this, but they're out of stock. The one from Pirate Cycles is also out of stock. Seems like everyone's out of these.

Boygofast on ebay is selling centrifugal clutches. Will it do what I want and allow me to start my bike without the pull-start?
I am currently running the BGF Cent clutch... there are a few things you should consider before installing. the clutch itself is fine and does allow you to jump start it has the one way needle bearings.
But it will likely break over time and a pull start is almost a necessity. Also you will need some way to extend your pedal cranks.

Most importantly. Ive found from my experience, that the smaller rear engine drive sprockets dont work so well with the clutch, the extra torque/low rpms creates slippage in the clutch and the damn thing shudders when i ride the 36 tooth....
if you have a 44 or 56 tooth sprocket the clutch is much more reliable.
In my case i bought my engine with the clutch pre installed. and had to replace it after the original one broke. you will need a gear/clutch puller tool. make sure to also pick up one of those. and lightly grease the teeth on your freewheel occasionally..... im getting off topic...

if you get the clutch, you will surely end up with the pullstart also. Many of the pullstarts are cheap and break easily. Ive broken two so far. dont get a cheap one. as you will regret it....
and a magneto gasket is a must. dont skip it.

bottom line, if your a newbie, avoid the centrifugal clutch until you feel your up for a challenge. but if you get it all working proper, its a nice setup for a cruiser. not so much for the speed build.

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I've never had a failure of being able to pedal start any of my centrifugal clutch builds. My current ride is about 3 years old and has been 100% reliable. I use it with a shifter kit and NEVER pedal, not even from a stop. I only pedal to start the engine.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Anyone else experience the issues Dooley is having when using a CC with a 36 tooth sprocket? I am definitely considering going with a CC, but if it is going to cause shuddering and jerking, then maybe not...

Dooley863

Apr 17, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
well maybe there is some other problem with my build. (I think its the "clutch pad gear") and i understand that a centrifugal clutch will add vibration and noise. perhaps i just want it to work better than it does.

on the first clutch, the bevel gear broke out of the bell housing. i ordered a new one. installed it, and immediately the idler/ bushing popped out... i took it apart to find the bushing was refurbished. so i took it all apart and put the best clutch parts together to make one good one. no problems since. but i wish i had avoided the whole centrifugal clutch fiasco.

my point is, the more you upgrade and add on to these chinese engines the more problems you are likely to run into.

I still think a pull start is a good idea if you have the centrifugal. but its good to know i could jump it if necessary.
I run a freewheel sprocket. so maybe thats what i was thinking. i do need the pullstart for my application. sorry if the post was unclear.

I dont mean to offend you guys that like the centrifugal, i run it too. But i was trying to imply that if your on the shortest path to a stable reliable build. it would not be the first choice.

Dooley863

Apr 17, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I've never had a failure of being able to pedal start any of my centrifugal clutch builds. My current ride is about 3 years old and has been 100% reliable. I use it with a shifter kit and NEVER pedal, not even from a stop. I only pedal to start the engine.
you run the centrufugal and the shifter kit.... thats a nice approach.

i run a freewheel hub mounted 36 tooth, and a centrifugal. i have to pedal up to speed all the time. but the bike does 30 at 3/4 throttle, and rides easy like a regular (single speed) bike.

port matching the intake and getting a proper carb help it all quite a bit.

Dooley863

Apr 17, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Anyone else experience the issues Dooley is having when using a CC with a 36 tooth sprocket? I am definitely considering going with a CC, but if it is going to cause shuddering and jerking, then maybe not...
the nature of the centrifugal clutch will cause some degree of shudder in your acceleration. but once you get the rpms up it grabs effectively. but with a 36 tooth, i can tell you that it will slip and you will lose some acceleration. til you hit about 3/4 throttle or about 15 mph.

ever lock up a chainsaw in a tree limb? you get it out and it still all works, even tho the engine was spinning and the blade was not moving.... the magic of the centrifugal clutch.

remember that to install this you are literally attaching weights to the idiler. so you can expect a very slight hesitation. as the engine/clutch spins up.

it can be a bit harder to start with the centrifugal.

once installed dont expect to "set it and forget it" with your clutch handle. some have said it works that way. but not for me. i still use the clutch handle all the time.

if your ok with all that then rock on and get your centrifugal. but be prepared for a moderate challenge.

!!!! if you install the centrifugal clutch USE 3 GEAR CASE GASKETS!!!!!!!!!! trust me on this one.

Last edited:

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Yes, the centrifugal clutch is awesome with a shift kit. The only pedalling I do is to start it and once that happens, I never have to pedal afterwords. My gearing is optimized for being able to climb a steep hill from a stop and it works.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Not quite, Sioux. What the centrifugal clutch does is when your bike is idling, it acts like the clutch lever is pulled in, without you having to actually pull the clutch lever in. And when you throttle up, the centrifugal clutch automatically engages. So basically, once the bike is running you no longer have to use the clutch lever.

It is completely independent of a shift kit. I had one on my China Girl build and it did not use a shift kit. It was pretty cool to be able to pull away from a stop without having to use the clutch lever. Just a little pedaling and throttle away.