Trying to decide on a 66cc Kit (try #2)

GoldenMotor.com

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
I believe there was an error with my original thread...

Here was the first post...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to decide between 3 different 2 stroke, 66cc engines. I have done my research and have came to the conclusion that these three engines are the best 66cc ones:

Jet 66cc
Jet 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Jet 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit

Grubee SkyHawk GT5 66cc
GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Slant Head Bike Motor Kit (Standard Finish)

SD Stinger 66cc
NEW 80cc / 66cc Gas Bike Engine Motorized Bike Bicycle Motor Kit

Basically, which one of these will provide the most performance (torque and top speed), and be the most reliable as well. If there is another engine I didn't list that is better, feel free to sugest that...

Thanks

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This is a hard one to call, look for a kit that comes with upgraded hardware, chain, etc. Standard chain will not last on a 66cc engine!

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Thanks guys,
One more question: Are there any motors which I did not list that are more reliable/powerful? (2 stroke, and under 220$)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yup, I have never had a problem with any of my BoyGoFast engines, but have had a ton of headaches with engines from grubby Grubee (feh).

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
My take after trying one Grubee SkyHawk 66 kit...
These China engine kits are loads of fun, but new out of the box they are rough at best. You could get one that is just right, goes together fine and lasts long, or you could get one that is falling apart (or not completely put together in the first place!) The parts are rough, looks like the rough castings haven't been finished completely, stuff might not be tight on a new engine, there's probably gonna be a TON of gunk in the gas tank. You're gonna have to do a lotta fiddling to get it just right in a lot of areas.... That said....
I must say the ride is pretty nice, mine isn't completely broken in yet, or tuned up particularly well but it pulls me good! If you get any of these China engine kits my advise is get to know every part of it! Check every bolt to be sure its tight, wipe away the factory grease and check the nuts underneath (specially the drive sprocket and clutch) and put in nice fresh grease, on everything! LOL Make sure you lube the clutch cable well, clean/lube the clutch pin (often!), check and recheck all the nuts and screws for tightness very often. You might want to carry a pouch with the basic tools to work on the engine just in case something needs attention on a ride far from home.
I have only a short time with this kit and already I am learning about quite a bit about the engine and other parts. My goal is to eventually know the thing inside and out, disassemble/reassemble completely, once that is accomplished I am sure this thing will serve me well. So, not matter what you decide to buy, get to know it, don't assume cause it's new it's right, or tight!

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Can anyone back up this statement? I plan on ordering a Jet from them.
I just got two GT5's from gasbike.net. I ordered the SkyHawk 66CC "2010" kits (not the cheapest), my kits were fresh, dated 04-20-2011. I do know from talking to them that they have a boat load of these GT5 kits on hand, so perhaps they might just send you one for the lowest price? If they were out of stock on the older model you would think they would take it down or mark it out of stock rather than listing the old model cheap and sending the new model? I dunno...
I think the carb was different, muffler didn't have heat shield, not shure what else was different on the older GT5's. Price is right now $149 and $179, might be worth a try to save the $30 bucks, and I bet even if you get last years kit you'll be just as happy with it. They are both indeed GT5's, even if one is older.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I have built a Raw66, a BGF66 and a PK80. The pk and the bgf were crap and didn't last very long. The Raw66 lasted longer but got stolen. I have a GT-5 personally and have never had any major issues with it and I have close to 5000 miles on my engine, and it's modded to shjt. The things your want to replace immediately are:

- engine hardware for metric 12.9 grade or higher
- 410 chain for 415 or #41 chain
- stock carb for RT carb or dellorto
- stock plug for NGK spark plug