Can we use any alternative fuels?

GoldenMotor.com

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
So you could convert a China Girl to run on Alcohol? How would that happen?
You'd still need to add oil the fuel or even more- alcohol seems rather "thin"..
You need bigger jets that flow twice as much as well as metering rod modifications. Gokarts have alcohol carbs so one of them might work.

I do have to tell you, though, the alcohol will start to attack the aluminum the moment you switch over. I was on a USAC Midget crew for a summer. One of the maintenance chores was to use a pair of pliers and squeeze the fittings in the fuel system looking for parts that would crush. The methanol would eat up the aluminum and leave a crumbly powder-like substance. The parts box was full of new fittings whenever we went on a trip to race. A part would look fine...until it fails :p We gradually switched over to steel fitting where ever we could. The cost saving was worth the slight weight penalty.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
Hey guys.. what about natural gas or propane? I would think you'd still need to get lubricating oil in there. What about that?

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
Kerosene as a fuel is a possibility. There are dual-fuel engines out there that start on gasoline, then once the engine is warmed up, it can be switched over to kerosene. When running on kerosene, the timing is advanced.
To do this on a MB, you would probably have to cut away the magneto housing and mount the magneto on a plate that can be rotated about the crankshaft's axis in order to be able to change the engine timing easily.
yeah I am trying this but i have through my stepdads job as a grounds keeper at a soccer pitch discovered that it is not so complex, just find a way to heat the fuel coming in would be easiest as he rana kawasaki industrial strimmer on 85% kero 15% petrol mix almost permanently, only cocked up on him when another switched it back to regular petrol and two stroke strangly..duh.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
I'm working on a "witch's brew" fuel mix that starts with washing the alcohol out of the fuel with water. This reduces the fuel volume 10-15% depending on the alcohol in the mix. To replace the alcohol use Toluene at the same percentages as the alcohol. Toluene is used as a TEL substitute in the petroleum industry due to it's high octane rating. I buy mine from the paint section at ACE Hardware.

I don't really want to go into the fuel make-up, yet, until it's tested out some more but results are promising. :)
I have to wonder where you dispose of this contaminated water?
I suppose you could use it over again for a wash but ...

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Hey guys.. what about natural gas or propane? I would think you'd still need to get lubricating oil in there. What about that?
I wouldn't think the china girls would be airtight enough for nat gas or propane , yeah I know they make compression but , the gaskets look like junk , I would be careful.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
These China girl 2 smokers ain't gonna be worth messing with for all these alternative fuel types I've seen mentioned in the last couple of post.

Lots can be done with the right 4 stroke platform but these china 2 strokes just barely get by with what they are made to use.

Kerosene, Diesel, Nat. Gas, Propane or any other fuel designed for the 4 stroke aint likely gonna work out to well in the china girls IMHO.

just my $0.02 nothing more nothing less.

Peace, map

Last edited:

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
Last year I saw a moped in a parking lot and it has solar panels deployed for charging. Anyone own/seen one of these? Looked pretty societal-collapse-proof to me.
haha good try but nope. societal collapse will surely include lots of nuclear bombs. Nuclear bombs equal lotsa crap in atmosphere. Lotsa crap in atmosphere equal no sun. No sun equal no soloar mopeds :(

Id say make an alcohol still and if the moped dont run on it get drunk :)

dance1

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Ever wonder why (or even think about wondering why) whiskey flasks are made of stainless steel and not aluminum? Aluminum would be cheaper to make them out of but nobody does.... for good reason!

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
:) i was just kidding....drink enough of the product and you wont care what happens to the bike engine..

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Build a still. I'm speculating and throwing this out here. I have a friend that has a 2000+ (I say that as I believe they went from Throttle body to FI after my 1998 Yukon TB was built) Chevy 350ci. For grins he ran a full tank on E85 without any problems (he claims it ran smother). Running on alcohol brings up a problem, starting it. You may need some gas/starting fluid to start it. I'm thinking about experimenting on E85 in my HT, just for grins. I read through, and saw comments about aluminum...I'll have to check and see if his engine has aluminum heads. I think the alcohol as posted attacks aluminum due to the fact that alcohol absorbs water, that is a problem in boats with aluminum tanks. We have a carburetor drain to remove any water that settles in the carburetor. Just thoughts. Fuel lines made today stand up to E15, finding if it will stand up to E85 or more may be another story.

Last edited: