What Kind of Camera do you Use?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I see some great close-up pictures on this forum of various MB parts such as carbs, internal parts, gears, parts damaged during shipping, cracks in the castings, etc.

When I try to take close up pics, they are always blurry, out of focus although they look good in the LCD. I have the macro feature on my camera, but I guess it just does not work right. I have tried everything, adjusting the ISO, shutter speed, automatic mode, manual mode, etc. etc.

SO, I was just wondering what kind of cameras are in use by the members of this forum to take such great close-up shots.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I use a Minolta Z3 that's really great. Picked it up on Ebay for about $65. It has a 12x zoom on it and also a wide angle within the lens and it's a point and shoot camera. Evidently they went for around $300 new. One reason why I chose this one was the fact that the batteries last a long time in it and I can shoot all day, unlike a lot of the cameras that are in the same class.

Also they make extra lens' for it that snap on the existing one for telephoto and a larger wide angle, but so far I haven't had the need for it.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I use a POS model #2. I hope some of the experienced mobile cam users will reply and post what they use. I want to upgrade, I have many vid-worthy moments on my rides lol

Edit: but don't we all! :D
I use an RCA Small Wonder EZ101 that I fasten to the head tube with a hose clamp to take videos while I'm out riding.
ez101.jpg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A tripod is essential for clear close-ups. Most cameras with macro do not allow the flash to work in macro mode so you'll get a slower shutter speed so you'll need good light but a steady camera is also imperative. If you don't have a tripod then set the camera on a solid surface and hold it steady while depressing the shutter release.
Tom

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I use a Canon Power Shot SD790 IS Digital ELPH. It's takes great pics and is also good for video. A great camera for the price and I highly recommend it. Canon's are great cameras!

EDIT: this pic was taken with my old, and I mean old, Olympus brio Zoom D-150. 1.3 Megapixel laff

dnut

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I use a Canon Power Shot SD790 IS Digital ELPH. It's takes great pics and is also good for video. A great camera for the price and I highly recommend it. Canon's are great cameras!...
I agree wholeheartedly! Any of the 'Canon Power Shot' models have absolutely astounding quality for the price - seems while many manufactures tend to "round up" their lower cost camera's abilities, if anything I suspect Canon's to be understated o_O

My ol' Canon Power Shot A1000IS only cost 'bout $100 at the time (w/4G memory card), it takes great pics & vid and it's been unbelievably reliable & rugged - not only do I lug it around everywhere with me all the time (thus abused), while making a tut for the forum, I managed to drop it in the quenching bucket (filthy water to say the least lol) while it was powered up no less, panicked I pulled the batteries & memory card and let it sit for a coupla days...

Much to my astonishment - it was fine, no problems at all... not that I would recommend trying that on purpose tho heh ;)

My only complaints are it's just a touch slow saving a pic & getting ready for the next shot even w/o the flash charging, which is a bummer for successive "action" still shots... but most/all lower priced digital cams have that same problem, the other issue is... a lil weird, it takes beautiful pics w/o the flash - the color so good Adobe PS's presets makes them worse not better, but the flash is flat-out ridonkulous. Variable in intensity, it's always way too much and washes out the shots *shrug* There's prolly an adjustment setting... somewhere, but the bloody thing is so feature rich I've never been able to find it buried in all the settings I never bother to use :p

edit: Oh right, like many "budget" digital cams it has a "zoom" feature that claims 12x... but it lies, it's completely useless for anything beyond 4x (true optical zoom & that's fine). Past 4x it's keeping the same resolution, enlarging & just "cropping" the pic, you're better off doing that in PS TBH

Last edited:

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a Fuji hybrid- with through the lens viewing-

it's been about the best buy on the market for a couple of years of anything in it's price range- I paid well under $200-

There's a GE out now that sells for less and it looks like the same thing-

I bought mine when it was 12 to 1 zoom- I think it went up to 15 to 1 which is really a lot of zoom, It takes some good video with sound too and it runs on four AA bateries in the big fat handle- so iit lasts long with that many batteries- and I get them at the dollar store.

the downside- the quality is so fine I have to resize them to post here on the net.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I use a Kodak EasyShare C433 that my ma' in law gave me after she broke the protective shutters that cover the lens when you turn it off. The shutters were an easy fix, and the camera works fine. It's now my nicest camera. I also have and seldom use a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 (movie capable), a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P71 (not movie capable), a Fuji Finepix Z20fd (movie capable). The Fuji is really annoying as it takes it's own proprietary battery pack which is currently dead. The Fuji is however really tiny and makes for a good "duct tape it to something handy" movie camera.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I don't even use my digial camera anymore... I use my cell phone camera!! It takes great pics!! (it's a Samsung Eternity)
Everything I've posted here in the last 1.5 years, & almost all the pics on my web site are from my phone! (^)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Copy/paste from Wally World:
"Smile Detection
Automatically releases the shutter when your subject smiles so you can capture smiles the moment they happen

That's one smart camera :)
Tom

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Nikon D3x, D3, Panasonic GF1, iPhone 4...
Only because I have them for my profession! ;)

And like my bike, R/C's, and cars, I mod everything! Including my GF1!

Zeiss f1.4 85mm lens mounted to GF1:

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Copy/paste from Wally World:
"Smile Detection
Automatically releases the shutter when your subject smiles so you can capture smiles the moment they happen

That's one smart camera :)
Tom
It also has blink detection built in. It is amazing what software algorithms can do these days.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
These are my 20 dollar china made spy video sunglasses.

They shoot a little high, which makes it tough to do hands on tutorial stuff, but that's what I've got a webcam with manual focus and a tripod for. As well, it takes microSD cards up to 32G.

It takes inherent 800x600 resolution which is unchangeable, but for what I use them for, they're great. I have about 3 hours - 4 hours record time on a 4 gig card. It's seriously gigantic file sizes, we're talking a gig an hour.

Attachments