Will removing Schwinn kickstand bracket weaken the fame

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
I have a Schwinn Straight bar frame with the standard Scwhinn kickstand bracket/mount.I would like to remove the bracket so I can install my double kickstand.Will removing the bracket/mount weaken the frame??? If not what would be the best way to remove the bracket?? Thanx

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Moto,
Have you tried installing the double stand using the original bracket, or simply sandwiching it between the double stand mounts? I had the same issue on a Schwinn Jaguar. The double stand I have mounted in the same place and the original mount wasn't in the way.
I doubt seriously that removing the mount will compromise the frame integrity. I say this because I've found that the factory mount can be bent easily. In fact I welded in a new one on one bike because the original stand mount was twisting with the added weight of motorizing. The chain stays are welded to the BB and should hold. If you're concerned you could weld in a piece of flat stock where you intend to mount the double stand which would strengthen that area considerably. I did that and then used the piece I added for a exhaust pipe mount.
As for removing it...a hacksaw, a Dremal with a cut-off wheel, a side grinder with a cut-off disc... I wouldn't suggest simply twisting it until it breaks off. That's not a good idea.
Good luck.
Tom

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It might weaken the frame just a little if you removed it... But you can always just weld in a new flat plate in it's place.
When I built the white BMX bike, I left it on because I thought it might weaken it if I removed it, & I might also want to put a kickstand back on it some day; (even though BMX bikes don't have kickstands.)

If you look close, you can see that I left it on... (& you can also see the new 'Sportsman' rear sprocket.) ;)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ohhh, that kind of kickstand mount. I was thinking of the flat channeled piece like the cruiser Schwinns use.
Take Venice's advice. Leave it or at least replace it with some flat stock welded between the chain stays.
Tom