most compact folding motorised bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

fireball_jones

Nov 1, 2008
wales
hello, after years of looking i thought i would introduce myself after finally finishing my bike.

certainly not a kit and took well over a year to solve what i wanted.

Some people may not like the look, but for me its about practicality (or however you spell that word :))

anyway I though you may be intrested in my project, which is based on a dream to see the world…

Thus I invented the Brrompton™ © to enable such dreams.

please see photos for explanation.

Total mileage, stopped counting at a 1000,
Top speed, too fast for a responsible adult (≥28)
Weight, around 20kg
Range (with engine tank), 23-35 miles
Range (with one gallon tank and engine tank), 138-205 miles
Pedal assistance is required
Max climbing angle, with BWR I’ve had no problems
Max one day tour, over 120 miles

I have also tailored the other aspects of the bicycle outside the engine etc design, some I changed and then some I change back. It took time to get to a point where I realised changing anything else would be a detrimental. Ill just wait for 349 mm off road tyres until then its walking , which is plesent dont forget people.

(Additionally: this work is my intellectual property and any financial gains from this will go to a charity of the invertor’s choice )

And most importantly “ a ride on my Brrompton™ © makes me smile” .shft.

Any questions feel free to ask.

kind regards,

fireball

unfortunatley site wont let me upload photos so i have put them on another, here is the link:
motorised Brompton aka Brrompton™ ©

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
fireball,
Welcome to the forum. Your bike certainly is different. Can you give some details about what engine, what bike, etc.? What are some of the problems you encountered? Some years ago I fooled around with a Worksman folding bike (bigger than yours) with a Tanaka friction drive engine up front. The motor had been designed for a 26" bike wheel, so the motor went pretty fast spinning that 20" wheel around which of course reduced the overall speed at which I could ride the bike. It was interesting, but not all that practical for me as I didn't really have need for a folding bicycle. Are there special restrictions in Wales regarding motorized bicycles? Is yours for fun or for basic transportation?
SB

fireball_jones

Nov 1, 2008
wales
Silverbear,
Thanks for the comments. it certainly is not the first time she's been called different. But i sure thats what they thought of planes etc when they first arrived :)

The engine is RS Eh035 but i can fit any engine with that size clutch eg tanaka ect ( i think, correct me if im wrong)

Bike is the mightly brompton, the benchmark for folding bikes specifically in the catoagory of folding compactness.

The motor is geared accordingly to wheel which is 16" through a three speed hub (which gives you an idea just how compact it is) :)

In regards to legislation in wales...umm " sorry i dont know mr officer" :).

the bike is for touring, i live need the coast and in the countryside so its good to see it all while im here.

thanks fairracing

spitfir that is just one reason, others could be to use on multimode transport, taking them into work and put under desk, some just think they are cool and some like me believe them to be more practical for touring e.g. hitch a ride, taking in hotel etc

personally i cant under stand choppers but each to there own

thanks

Last edited:

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
yah i figured it was for mobility and storing reasons i didint realize some people preffer the riding position, i agree with you on the chopper bike i mean theyre nice to look at more like a piece of art but as far as practicality goes i dont c it more weight to move less comfortable, ride quality is poor at least the ones ive riden on but hey at the end of the day at least you look cool, i personally ride a mountain bike i have a garage at home and a garage at work ( im a mechanic) so it dont bother me any its got great clearence its tought and the 26" wheels go over anything :D

fireball_jones

Nov 1, 2008
wales
Many riding countries holand china etc the magority of bike ride upright. we think that all bike are "sport bikes" with aerodynamic postions, this my friend is just marketing. I also like the more comfortable postion mainly because you get to look at the views more!

ps today in my ride to work i saw a bird of prey on a fence post, just relaxing. it was a thing of beauty. might not have seen that if i was looking at the ground :)

pps if you think 26 ar good try a 29 my mate has a Full suspension 29er if i could justify another bike it would be one of those or YouTube - 36er stair ride. until the ill just stick to the ultimate off road transport.... the feeet :D

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Fireballs

I have people in china trying to sell products similar to this all the time. Heres one below.

This is what they call a folding e bike Model elegant. They say you can fold it up and hop on the subway with it under your arm. I have specs somewhere? I don't believe the the top speeds are as fast as yours assuming those are MPH's. I always had a interest in these but am afraid to take on a large load. This is just meant as a heads up, Not a in your face so please don't read this the wrong way.

I also wonder. How heavy are the batteries? How long does it last per charge as well as how long to charge? Also, Do you ever have to pedal? If so, hows the gearing?
Elegant.jpg

Nice Job,
Justin

Last edited:

fireball_jones

Nov 1, 2008
wales
fireballs! thanks for the rename (i like :))

Sorry for the delay, my shedule is none stop.

Those bike will be quite cumbersom relative to the brompton. Not sure where you are but if your need a bike shop and can see in real like the bromprton vs any other 20 folder you will be surprised.

no problem thanks for the heads up.

If your asking regarding that bike

On my bike there is no battries (just to clarify) (but on those if they look as cheap as i think they will be SLA and 36 10ah rough gues just by looking probably 13-14 kg,) range is probably 10miles on the sla, on the electric folder i had i didnt need to pedal below 15mph, but i and most other riders spend there time above that so the motor is redunadant unless hill climbing. the amount of human imput is depends on terrain. hill yes flats no basically ,

Hope that helps,

Fireballs :)