A few things I've learned from building my bike kit

GoldenMotor.com

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
I thought maybe some of this might be good knowledge for those that are building their first kit. I just got through building my first one, but I've learned a lot through the help here and from my own experience.

1. Carry these items with you at all times, they will make life much easier: Small tool kit, extra spark plug, sandpaper (for cleaning a fouled plug), carb cleaner, and a 1 gallon gas can with extra oil.

2. Using the choke to kill the motor doesn't seem to be a viable long-term solution. The motor doesn't seem to like it and seems to cause insta-foul on the spark plug. Must wire kill switch.....

3. Fill your tank just before you run out of gas. The motor definitely does not seem to like running out of gas, and seems to make it more difficult to start once you fill it up. Seems to also cause insta-foul on the plug.

4. Change out the crappy connectors for the wires. They don't seem to provide a decent connection, and mine have a tendency to rattle loose while riding. I've had trouble getting my bike started after one of the wires rattles loose. I've replaced my connections with wafer connectors.

That's about all I've come up with so far. If anyone has any more to add, please do so. It could save myself as well as others a lot of trouble and headaches.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
good thinking josh. just a few tips myself.
for the electric connection u can always wrap them in electrical tape to stop them vibrating loose.
and also for ur first few rides dont go far from ur house.

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
yer i think a gallon is pushing it. if you just fill up ur tank and dont go far from home. be sensabile and u shoudent run out.
you can always take a small bottel of oil then if u need to stop at a gas station u can fill up and use ur oil you got!!

Josh380

Feb 13, 2009
Aliso Viejo, CA
I mentioned the gas can not necessarily to carry around a gallon of gas with you, just so that you have something to mix your oil and gas in, as my first stop at a gas station required me to fill the gas up halfway, then add the oil, then finish the gas fill because the gas station would not let me use one of their gas cans. Not sure if it's necessarily bad to do it that way, I just think you'd get a better mix using a gas can.

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I haven't had any issues with plug fouling using the choke to kill the motor. Could just be one of those things that varies with our snowflake motors.