Woohoo tool box!

GoldenMotor.com

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
island of misfit toys, maine
Four years ago I bought this snapon ska series tool box for under 3k. It was affordable and yet a good upgrade from my current box at the time. Starting out as a tech also ment I couldn't purchase the best box they had (and sleep at night), so here is my box with my grandfathers ancient mid and top box:

Last month I married a top box and finally came Friday! Here it is:

I need to either find black drawer trim, or remove and paint the drawer trims to match.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
Hi Talk to your Snap on dealer you may be able to get matching drawer pull covers
or just take the new ones off and have them powder coated it shouldn't cost too much.'Just make sure they don't get any of the powder coat inside the slot so you can fit it back on the drawers.
Nice box by the way. ( whats your address so i can borrow it when your not looking )
Just kidding

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
Hi Talk to your Snap on dealer you may be able to get matching drawer pull covers
or just take the new ones off and have them powder coated it shouldn't cost too much.'Just make sure they don't get any of the powder coat inside the slot so you can fit it back on the drawers.
Nice box by the way. ( whats your address so i can borrow it when your not looking )
Just kidding
Haha. I asked the dealer about the handle trims and he said it wasn't an option. Not even an accessory at this time. I tried searching on the web about it too. Now I want to know just how I got black handles in the first place.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
perhaps the Snap on dealer just doesn't remember them, and is too lazy to look up replacement parts. either way it looks like the color on the handle may be a overlay covering chrome. see if this is so maybe you could peel off the color layer as it may just be a wrap.
I had similar boxes at my last job they also had overlays on the handles to black out the chrome. this started to peel off so i stripped all the drawer handles and it looked great once again.
Or just use some car wrap vinyl and do all the handle to match. you can get carbon fiber or just about any color and it wont cost much. the nice thing as they wear out you can just change them out again, heck do the whole box for cheep and protect the original finish.
That would make a nice inexpensive project. if you do it post some pictures I bet you will stir up many people to wrap their tool boxes. as you know Snap on isn't cheep what better way to customize it and protect it at the same time.
good luck either way

a.graham52

Nov 22, 2013
nelson, we go through dealers every 3 years it seems. i bought the bottom box from a different dealer which just makes things more complicated haha. as for the overlay... it is infact paint. i can see the paint on the inside and outside of the handles. not to mention i have few chips in a couple of them. but i like your idea about the wrap but then it will cover my sticers :( and we cant have that lol.

nelsonk1969

Sep 29, 2014
Lake Worth Florida 33467
yeah it normally takes three years or less before Snap on causes the poor bastard to go into bankruptcy, by making them purchase more tools for their route than their route can support.
Well if you want the factory drawer pulls- guards you will have to contact Snap on online and bypass the Dealer. I am sure you could get them. using the model and serial number on the back of the old box you can get the pieces you need for your new box or just go with the new one replacing your old guards to match the new ones.
I was mentioning the wrap as you could just wrap the drawer guards and make all the pulls look custom yet matching top and bottom. wrapping sure would be cheaper than dealing with Snap on as you will likely need a second mortgage to even buy a Philips screwdriver from them nowadays. LOL its amazing how much Snap on Tools prices went up over the years. when my dad was a transmission Mechanic he had receipts for a 1/2" drive deep impact socket costing around $6.00 the same socket years later when I was in the trade cost me 25 bucks now over 20 years from then I can imagine what they charge for the very same tool. At one point I had over $70,000.00 into my tools and tool box.
yet I still didn't have nearly enough. LOL Heck my tool bill every month was more than the average mortgage payment which is probably why I couldn't buy a house until I stopped swinging wrenches for a living.