Driver not needed

GoldenMotor.com

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I find the concept of autonomous vehicles fascinating and a little scary. Here are a few of my thoughts for discussion.

Once the technology is perfected, it will likely soon become on option on certain new cars (albeit likely an expensive one). I don’t know the stats but accidents caused by operator error have got to be the vast majority. These potentially will be eliminated in autonomous vehicles. How long after that will human operators remain an option?

As vehicles adapt to the new tech, how will vehicle design change? Auto-only design seems inevitable. Will windshields and forward facing seats disappear? As accidents decline will vehicle design be optimized more toward efficiency with less focus on accident protection?

Will personal vehicle ownership decline when you schedule a pickup and ride to work from a cell phone app? Think about it. The car drops you off and goes about other business before it or another returns to take you home.

The hassle of downtown parking could disappear. After dropping you off the car could circle the block or park itself remotely and return on cue.

This one occurred to me recently when a new feature of my google maps app suggested a shorter route. How long before traffic patterns are completely controlled by Google? Traffic congestion could be created or alleviated by some central control system. Oh, and there will be complete traceability of your route EVERYWHERE you go!

The idea of sipping a beer and reading a book as the car takes me safely and expeditiously to my destination has immense appeal. But so does piloting my sports car a little fast down a twisty road with the top down.

What are your thoughts on this?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Long distance night time travel in a sleeper vehicle appeals; even down to automated refuelling when needed. And yes, come out of work and relax immediately. No stress of driving when tired, perhaps even darken the windows and get changed ready for the other end of the trip.

Some operator control would still be needed for small scale local movements, like parking, or dropping passengers off or collecting. Perhaps a little joystick control for 2 mph operation.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
If there is an accident, and you're involved in your driverless car, who gets the ticket? Google, or you?

Tom
I would think that owner would be responsible for equipment failure and either the vehicle manufacturer or navigation operator (google) for other. The major difference is that injured parties will be going after huge companies for the damages instead of individuals.