Amazing 4 cylinder Briggs...

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
This is part 24 and shows it completely finished, running, & ready to show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1blqsD_79k

But in the first 23 episodes thoroughly show the construction process and problem solving required to bond 4 vintage Briggs engine blocks together.

Probably takes a couple of hours to watch all.

This is something I've imagined doing myself before, but doubt mine would ever turn out this nicely!

Henderson tribute anyone?

-Kirk

Last edited:

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
I bet Henderson's are similar weight to Model T’s & A’s.

I’ve been looking for a small inline four option for a old Yamaha XJ650 frame I own (Shaft drive) and would like to build into a Henderson/Indian Four styled custom.

I seen it done with a Honda CB550, but it requires cutting the tranny off because of width.

And crosley automobiles used a nicely sized and narrow one, but they’re scarce and hard to find parts for nowadays...

Perhaps a old model A might work? Or perhaps something form a more modern compact?

-Kirk

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
I've had some of the same thoughts, but on lines of a Pierce Arrow 4. The problem with most auto motors, water cooled. I have a cub cadet lawn tractor which has a twin Koehler with shaft drive. Thought about that one also.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I like that engine alot!
I have watched a few of that guy's videos as he was building up that Briggs 4 banger.
They showed up when I was surfing utube, watching Hit-n-Miss engines at the tractor shows.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I forgot they have cast iron block and they weld up easier than white metal. I have a few 5S and 6S's. The 5S is the same I think except the throw of the piston. I probably can't mix and match, but how about two of the same for inline twin. Opposed would be nice, but oil breather and lube issues to deal with.

MT

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm wondering if anybody makes a parallel twin industrial engine, put 2 together end to end with a compact coupling. I did look at various images, and all i can find are model 4 cyl engines much too small, or car or tractor aircooled that are much too big.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
I know some snowmobiles have small parallel twins (probably 2-strokes?), but I’m not familiar enough with them to know the brand or model...

This 4 banger has sure stirred my imagination and I find myself throwing alot of spare thoughts towards something like it. I’m thinking the hardest part to fab would be the crank...

-Kirk

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I just looked up 4 cylinder Hatz diesels. 822lb for a 3.4l 4.

Does the engine have to be air cooled? Look air cooled? Could a water cooled be dressed up with fins? How many cc, what maximum size? Interesting.

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Lud, it's that blasted radiator that botches up the look. Newer water cooled (my Honda Shadow was one) hide em pretty well, but for a vintage look??? Hard to hide.