Carburetor question.

GoldenMotor.com

sniperxfire

Mar 6, 2013
Canada
Please excuse my english.

I just built my first motorized bicycle. Everything seems to work except the carburetor which im curious about.

I often see people have their Carburetor Choke Lever "UP" and seems to work. However when i do that, my bike doesnt start up. On the other hand, if i pull "DOWN" the Choke Lever, my bike starts up and works like normal.

My question is, is this normal? Or is there a problem?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're assuming you have the NT carburetor. In that case the choke lever should be down for normal engine operation. If the lever is up the choke plate is closed and your engine won't run very well, if at all. If you move the lever up and that kills the engine that means you don't have any appreciable air leaks which is good.

The choke is only used to enrichen the mix for cold starts. Typically you shouldn't have to choke the engine to start it unless it's very chilly outdoors. Try 1/2 choke if you want. That might allow the engine to start quicker even in mild temperatures. Open the choke after the engine starts.
Whatever, the choke must be open, lever down, for normal running.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I am running a HF 79cc and have to use the choke on for every start (hot or cold). Is that normal on this engine or has anyone got a fix for it?
I have a HF99cc. You'll have to give it a few pulls the first time you start it for the day. The 1st and/or 2nd pull is usually to lube everything inside and on the 3rd pull it will start right up. It should start right up on one pull after its been ridden.

If it's not starting properly and you have to use your choke everytime; even after it's warmed up. You may have a minor tuning issue. Start by turning the idle screw clockwise to raise and richen the idle mixture. Your engine might be taking in too much air during start up. (^)

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
Mine does the same thing. If you take the air cleaner off, you can see exactly how it chokes it. My bike will not even start with full choke, only half or less. I really wish they included that in the instructions as I thought I had separate problems.