engine chain getting caught in front sproket

GoldenMotor.com

blakie

Jan 8, 2012
kerry
engine chain getting caught in front sproket chain lenghts are free how is this happenin ? any help in appreciated thanks lads

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Re: engine chain getting cot in front sproket

take the screws off the front sprocket cover and look to see where the chain is rubbing on the case or cover....Do a little filing on the rubbing parts and you should be good...

You may have another issue but check this first...

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada

chain too loose.inspect your chain cloesly,mine started breaking the side plates after only a few miles.upgraded chain and its much better now.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Chain is too loose and/or misaligned. The chain path must be a straight line between the sprockets with no lateral misalignment. Chain tension must be 1/2 to 3/4" of slack.
Start there.

Tom

supercub

Nov 1, 2012
New London, CT
I dremelled the square corners off of the teeth to allow the chain to roll off of the sprocket smoother. Just break the edge a little and you can file it if you don't have a dremel.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I dremelled the square corners off of the teeth to allow the chain to roll off of the sprocket smoother. Just break the edge a little and you can file it if you don't have a dremel.
I do this to all kits, especially after I replace the chains with #40 roller, but I had this problem several times even with stock chain sizes so be aware some kits need this done. Sone do not. If the chain sticks on the front sprocket, you should break the corners. I had one recently that stuck so hard it made popping sounds as each link was forced in and out of the teeth.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
.spr.Yeah, check the chain alignment (front and rear sprockets must be in line and on the same plane so there is no torsion on the chain), and check chain tension. I had the same problem recently and it was chain alignment. I am using 415 chain, which came stock from the undisclosed location of the Chinese bike chain factory.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
.spr.Yeah, check the chain alignment (front and rear sprockets must be in line and on the same plane so there is no torsion on the chain), and check chain tension. I had the same problem recently and it was chain alignment. I am using 415 chain, which came stock from the undisclosed location of the Chinese bike chain factory.
I'm pretty sure it's next to the tinfoil gum wrapper factory. They use the leftover gum wrappers to make chinese stock kit chains. :0