opinions on engine kit

GoldenMotor.com

RaussSkyfang

Feb 29, 2012
maryland
hello all, kinda new here

im currently trying to find a new motor for my bike

it currently uses a rear-mounted friction drive, but after several problems, the latest of which practically scrapped the motor, im going to try one of these v-frame mounted kits

im specifically looking at the GRUBEE 2009 SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Angle Fire Slant Head Bike Motor Kit from gasbike.net.

link: http://www.gasbike.net/grubee_skyha...standard_finish_bike_motor_kit-3243-prd1.html

im on a very limited income, and my bike was my only means of transportation.
im looking at this mainly because its within my budget (but barely), and ive heard many good things about grubee.

im interested in any opinions on this particular motor, as well as decent alternatives for the same, or preferably lower, price if this one isnt any good

thanks

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I would recommend the Flying Horse motors that you can get from Bikeberry over the Grubee. Flying Horse are probably the best motor bicycle motors you can buy in the in frame, China Girl style. They cost slightly more, but probably cheaper in the not too much longer run. People have been having a hard time getting the CNS carbs on the Skyhawks to run well without a lot of difficult tuning.

For a more experienced builder I would just say get a cheap BGF motor and rebuild it out of the box for a nice motor, but definitely not for beginners on a small budget.

http://www.bikeberry.com/black-80cc-motorized-bicycle-engine-kit-epa-certified.html

RaussSkyfang

Feb 29, 2012
maryland
ii was looking at those flying horses, but i keep seeing people complaining that they're getting grubee skyhawks instead of the flying horse they ordered

is that still a problem?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
ii was looking at those flying horses, but i keep seeing people complaining that they're getting grubee skyhawks instead of the flying horse they ordered

is that still a problem?
I have a friend that happened to. I don't know what you can do about that except ask them not to do it.

RaussSkyfang

Feb 29, 2012
maryland
i suppose so

but is there anything inherently wrong with the grubee skyhawk i linked? i dont think the carb will be a problem, as there are many people who can work on the carb (the engine, not so much, maybe) in the area.

and the link says it comes with an NT carb, which i think is better to work with? at least according to most of the stuff i found on this site

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i suppose so

but is there anything inherently wrong with the grubee skyhawk i linked? i dont think the carb will be a problem, as there are many people who can work on the carb (the engine, not so much, maybe) in the area.

and the link says it comes with an NT carb, which i think is better to work with? at least according to most of the stuff i found on this site
A skyHawk with a NT carb would be ok, and run pretty good out of the box.

RaussSkyfang

Feb 29, 2012
maryland
awesome, thanks for the insight

ill be sure to letcha know how it runs once i get it and install it

switching from a relativley easy-maintainence friction drive to this 'china girl?' will be touch

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I have a 66cc flying horse. I think... I got it from bikeberry. They sent me the wrong color though. It bothered me. Engine has been running great though! I tightened the clutch a hair and cleaned the piston which had some gasket material on it and re torqued the head before installing though.