Potential Builder/Rider

GoldenMotor.com

Enerarevir

Oct 2, 2008
Hi everyone!

Before I go on, please note that I'm brand spanking new to all of this about motorized bicycles.

As I mentioned in another post, I'm considering moving to Puerto Rico and am thinking about building one of these for use in and around the little town where I'll most likely be living.

I don't know what the current laws about motor assited bikes are on the island. All I could find are Moped laws. I'm familiar with those because I had one years ago and shipped it to Puerto Rico. I had a **** of a time because, even though it was under 50 cc and had pedals. They wanted me to register it as a motorcycle, but since I didn't have a Title of Ownership (I bought it as a bicycle in Newport, Rhode Island), I had to hire a lawyer to prove I was the owner, etc.

Anyway, I'm fascinated anf enthused by the idea of doing one of these builds.

Enerarevir

Oct 2, 2008
HI!
Thank you for your prompt response and your salutations in Spanish.

If you are fluent in Spanish that's great... (although I'm quite sure that many on the site would balk at seeing protracted passages in anything but English). If not, I can do perfectly well in English.

I've become a bit of a fantic over this topic during the past few days, and I'm glad to have become a member of a community that shows so much camaraderie. You all seem so helpful and free with sharing your knowledge.

Again, Thank you!!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Se trata de un foro internacional y languges todos son la recepción. Y mi madre obtiene en mi caso dont saber suficiente español por lo que se acoge con beneplácito cualquier práctica.

Perdónenme para mi español mal... Necesito pratice :)

Enerarevir

Oct 2, 2008
¡Está muy bién!
Le aplaudo el esfuerzo que hace al practicar el español.
Cuando quiera practicar, puedes contar conmigo.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I had a **** of a time because, even though it was under 50 cc and had pedals.
I think you answered your own question there. I'm not a lawyer, nor am I versed in Puerto Rican law (heck, I can hardly remember how to spell it), but most legal entities consider these contraptions to be the same as mopeds and hold them to those standards.

To be sure, though, you should contact what passes for a Department of Motor Vehicles down there and ask them.

Enerarevir

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks for your advice. I've already sent inquiries to the DMV in Puerto Rico.

Now tell me, in "what passes for a Department of Motor Vehicles" in Seattle, what are they telling you about your contraption?

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
There are no requirements here to license or register these here as long as they are under 50ccs and under 30mph. They're considered "scooters or mopeds" as long as they meet those requirements.

The technical language is...

"A moped is any two or three-wheeled vehicle that has wheels at least 16 inches in diameter, is powered by a 50cc or smaller motor, and is capable of a maximum speed of
30 mph or less on level ground. Mopeds must meet the same equipment requirements as motor-driven cycles or motorcycles to be operated on public roadways.

Moped operators must be 16 and have a valid driver license. No special endorsement is required."

Enerarevir

Oct 2, 2008
Thank you!

From what you have responded I see that your DMV has quite specific nomenclature and specifications for the "MOPED" definition and its legal operation requirements.

I hope to hear from the Puerto rico DMV soon and am looking forward to seeing if their definitions and requirements are as specific as yours in Seattle.

As far as I can see, though, there IS a rquirement to register, insure, inspect and insure Mopeds in Puerto Rico; as well as having a specific "Motorcycle Operators" license. So, as you can imagine, I am actually looking to see if there are any "loopholes" in the law in order to get around all that. Otherwise, building one of these (which I really would like to do) would be all for naught, as I couldn't ride it anywhere without being considered a "lawbreaker".

I will keep the forum posted as to any news I might hear.

Again, thank you!