Boost Bottle Building 66 or 80cc?

GoldenMotor.com

Lazy Dog

Oct 13, 2011
STL
I'm working on building some boost bottles for some friends and myself and came to a small problem.

I understand the difference between the 66cc and 80cc rating based on where and how it's measured. Problem is technically there both correct it is a 66cc and 80cc engine. But depending what number you work off of the bottle size will be the right size or too big/small.

So does anyone know what number should be used for the the bottle volume. Is the head volume counted?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I'm working on building some boost bottles for some friends and myself and came to a small problem.

I understand the difference between the 66cc and 80cc rating based on where and how it's measured. Problem is technically there both correct it is a 66cc and 80cc engine. But depending what number you work off of the bottle size will be the right size or too big/small.

So does anyone know what number should be used for the the bottle volume. Is the head volume counted?
All (5) my engines are 66cc. Everyone has a boost bottle I made. All internal volume is 66cc. For low end/idle I feel they work, although others will disagree.

Each rounded cap holds 5cc, for a total of 10cc. Schedule 40 (56cc) is used. If you want the bottle shorter use Schedule 20 (larger diameter cylinder)

Last edited:

Basement Cat

Mar 14, 2011
Florida
Honestly boost bottles do not add performance to an engine. Most of the time any gain in power is a placebo effect. If you want to build something that might actually help then look into helmholtz resonators.