Question about the half moon plates in sprocket kits

GoldenMotor.com

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
Ok, I've wondered about this all along and I don't guess I ever officially asked the question. Mounting the sprocket is a no-brainer but I still need to know if you use one set of 3 half-moons on one side of the sprocket or do you use the 3 half-moons on one side and the 2 half-moons on the other side? And if you use only ONE set of half-moons, why do they always send 5 plates with the kit? Not one dealer tells you this or shows you in the poor pictures they show of the sprocket mounting. And the online manual on gasbike.net says "dish-in" on one line and on the next line they say "dish out", so which is it. And what do they consider dish in and dish out? The edge of the sprocket is dished out and the large middle is dished "in". Only one side is chromed. I finally assumed that the chrome side would go on the outside of the wheel. But I haven't tightened the bolts yet. You know how big a pain it is to do this all over again.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
All I can offer is what I did- not to say this is right. I put 3 piece "half moons" on the inside of the spoke-rag joint and then doubled it up the the 2 piece. I figured I had the parts and available threads so in my mind it was just more reinforcement. I put the sprocket chrome in which dished it away from the spokes only to find out that on my build turning it around made more sense.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The answer is "It depends" The idea is to have a straight shot from the engine sprocket to the wheel sprocket. So it could be any number of combinations to make that work. Minimum (narrowest) would be metal plate, rag joint, spokes, sprocket (dished in). Which is what I had yesterday morning. Turned out just a little to narrow. rubbed tire. So I tried metal plate, rag joint, spokes, rag joint, sprocket (dished in) This is giving me about a 1/4" clearance off the tire.

I don't have any bikes with coaster or disk brakes but that also needs to be considered when you are trying to get this all lined up.

Yet another reason to buy an SBP shift kit and not worry about such nonsense.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sprocket, rag joint, spokes, rag joint, metal plates.
It's not a good idea to mount the sprocket directly on the spokes.
I would use the two piece plates.

Also, lining up the chain from sprocket to sprocket is important. Take your time. I usually (99%) dish the sprocket "in". If you dish it one way or the other and find it doesn't line up, CHANGE IT.

A small amount of tire rub is better than a mis-aligned chain run.
Don't over tighten the chain- 3/4" freeplay at the middle of the top run.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I 2 am looking for the correct answer. this is what i have done.
Sprocket, 2 piece halve moon, rag joint, spokes, rag joint, 3 piece halve moons!
I think,
The second set is used depending on your rim to move the sprocket out to align with the drive sprocket

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That sounds like the perfect solution.
You could well use the second set to move the sprocket out if it needs to be to align the chain run. I have used washers in the past.

Most of the kits I have gotten had only the two piece plates included. A couple had really thin three piece plates.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Two main things no matter what set up you use-
1. No metal to metal contact, ever!
2. Chain alignment is the most important.

Now having said that, I will say that the stock loosely fit chain will run with a fair amount of mis-aligment, but it's really asking for problems of all kinds.

tsmra

Aug 22, 2009
Berks Co. Pa.
I was reading an installation manual on line for a kit and it showed - 2 plate, 3 plate, rag joint, spokes, rag joint , sprocket dished in. I think the design of the plates is to be similar to the a running bond in masonry. no joints lining up = strong as 1 piece.
Brion.

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
I did my kit as you just described and I had the same rationale of a running bond. My instructions didn't explain why there were both 2 and 3 pc plates but stacking them seemed logical.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
That sounds like the perfect solution.
You could well use the second set to move the sprocket out if it needs to be to align the chain run. I have used washers in the past.

Most of the kits I have gotten had only the two piece plates included. A couple had really thin three piece plates.
Bikeguy Joe, you didn't quote who you were replying to but I'll assume it was the post before you, so this means he has the sprocket against the moon plates. That's metal sprocket against metal plates. Definitely wrong.

geeksquid

Feb 14, 2008
I was reading an installation manual on line for a kit and it showed - 2 plate, 3 plate, rag joint, spokes, rag joint , sprocket dished in. I think the design of the plates is to be similar to the a running bond in masonry. no joints lining up = strong as 1 piece.
Brion.
If all 5 half moon plates are supposed to be used, that's the only solution that makes any sense but from what I see on the forum, no one actually ever used all 5 this way but are obviously getting by. I've never seen the version of the manual you speak of. As far as dish in or dish out (my manual says dish in AND dish out!), I'm just going to try to use the logic that says the chromed side of the sprocket would SURELY go on the outside.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm sure Joe meant me! I put an inner tube between the spokes and the sprocket. I have around almost 1000 miles on the setup, with no failures in the assembly. I used loctite on the nuts and check them every couple of tanks of gas. (I end up checking things all the time, but that is just my nature.) In my case the sprocket was not dished.

I think the key is getting the alignment right it put less stress on things in general.
First assembly was with the rag joint on both sides of the spokes but the engine would not line up.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Me!
Geeksquid having the halve moon against the sprocket (sprocket,halve moon,rubber,spoke,rubber,halve moon) is not the dreaded metal to metal contact spoken of ie spokes!
This will space the sprocket away from the centre if your bike requires it.
I really belive there is no right or wrong way except to say that the rubber obviously goes either side of the spokes eliminating the metal to metal contact how people stuff that up is baffleing.
Install it so the chain is true. as Joe has said.

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I'm sure Joe meant me! I put an inner tube between the spokes and the sprocket. I have around almost 1000 miles on the setup, with no failures in the assembly. I used loctite on the nuts and check them every couple of tanks of gas. (I end up checking things all the time, but that is just my nature.) In my case the sprocket was not dished.

I think the key is getting the alignment right it put less stress on things in general.
First assembly was with the rag joint on both sides of the spokes but the engine would not line up.[/QUOTE
lmfao sorry dude!!

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia

First assembly was with the rag joint on both sides of the spokes but the engine would not line up.
Lmfao sorry dude!!

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles

I have an Electra Coaster hub. the sprocket fits perfectly under dust cover and its a damn shame that it cannot be mounted this way. with the rag joints there is truly no way to get the wheel to center. worked great on the micargi but the wheel is definitely different. I can see why a person would mount sprocket to spoke on this wheel. it looks as if it were made to fit this way. its a shame cause I have no idea how I'm gonna get it to be true.