Skyhawk 66 Engine Float filled with gas

GoldenMotor.com

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
If the float fills up with gas and caused massive flooding of the engine, could the engine seals be damaged to the point of causing an internal air leak resuling in a lean mixture? Since this flooding, the engine seems to run better with 1/2 choke.

After this happened I replaced float, checked level (21 mm), replaced head gasket, intake manifold gasket, spark plug (BP6HS) but the engine will not start like it use to (very easy) and tends to pulsate back and forth under load when returning throttle to idle position. With clutch disengaged, engine high idles and eventually dies but will restart normally.

Any ideas about the seals being blown out by the excess flooding?

karryhunt

Apr 17, 2010
South Florida...brrr
That sounds similar to the symptoms I had here with a bike that had a left crank seal popped out of the case. You should be able to tell if the seal is popped out by removing the mag cover and feeling behind the magnet, because the metal tension spring in the seal might be sticking it to the magnet. Not sure if there's clearance enough for feeling this way on the right side, under the small bevel gear, but it's simple enough to find out.

In any event, if the engine is idling high for a period of time before eventually returning to normal RPM without your fiddling with the throttle at all, that's an air leak somewhere.
The seals appear to be OK. I found the problem though.....when retorqueing the head bolts today, it appears I over torqued one of the acorn nuts and stripped the threads inside of the nut. Replaced the soft acorn nuts with grade 8 nuts and so far everthing seems normal.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions on the seals.