Sacrificing pocketbike for push trailer.

GoldenMotor.com

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
Well as the title says, im going to sacrifice my souped up pocketbike for a pusher.
I just dont really know how I should go about the project, so im looking for some interested people to come up with ideas.

I am looking for a top speed of about 60kmh with a crusing speed of 45-50 kmh.

I want to keep this trailer fairly compact. Basically, the only "trailing" part should be the engine, jackshaft and rear wheel not extending any more than 2 feet from the back of the bike.

I dont know jack about gearing ratios.

The easy route would be to gear down the back wheel's sprocket to the smallest reasonable. Ill pedal the trailer up to 20kmh before engaging the throttle.

Sounding like a good idea already eh?

I will post up some pics tomorrow and mabye take some stuff apart.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
tonight i frigged around with some galvanized angle steel and the grinder and wasnt very happy with what i built. but i did get the idea in my head about cutting up the pocketbike frame! i took off the upper part where the seat pan would mount up and cut the forward frame members about halfway. ill need to have a bit of welding done next. ill post up a pic or two tomorrow morning!

im thinking if i put a larger pinion gear in the clutch housing and a smaller rear sprocket it will make a great little 40kmh assist trailer. mabye even hit 50+

Just_Gassit

Jul 17, 2009
Northern Nevada
You mean like this? This was a scooter (just a 36cc) I used the motor, wheel and gas tank. Everything else I made. Goes 18 MPH. Easy, compact and quiet. I move on to a HT in the frame on the same bike after the first week of riding it though! I do miss the simplicity and lack of vibration.

Attachments

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
gasit you got it! pretty close. im going to put up a pic tomorrow of what i have to work with.

its pretty modified lol

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
You mean like this? This was a scooter (just a 36cc) I used the motor, wheel and gas tank. Everything else I made. Goes 18 MPH. Easy, compact and quiet. I move on to a HT in the frame on the same bike after the first week of riding it though! I do miss the simplicity and lack of vibration.
nice! i did the same think awhile back with the 33cc, it was good but pretty slow

im currently building one using the 49cc version of that engine instead of the 33, how fast do you think the 49 will be?
100_3045.JPG

meerkatt

Nov 4, 2010
oxford
What mods have you done to your PB motor? What rpm & speed were you getting on it & what gearing were you using? I have seen cag (i am assuming its a cag?) gears around at 8/54 which gives a massive top speed. Are you using a reduction box? Are you sick of my questions? Oh yeah, driving wheel diameter?