Which is a better idea?

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I gotta think realistically about which is a better idea, should I part out my engine kit or sell it as a whole. I want to make as much money as possible so that I can be closer to buying an ezm kit. Any suggestions? The engine runs great and is just about broken in!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
even if it's brand new, who needs the parts? that's what you gotta ask yourself. i mean, i'm sure there's probably someone who needs a piston, or a left side case, or whatever, but it'll take you awhile to sell it all.

and, if i needed a new piston, i'd buy a new piston...

if you sell the whole kit, you have a much better chance of selling it right away.

another thing to consider, if it's a used kit, i think it'd be harder to sell. if you got a cheap donor bike off craigslist and built up something for a quick sale, you might be able to squeeze out some extra money. just don't build a rolling death trap...

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's an excellent point
They have mighty cheap bikes on craigslist that are still in good shape. I would try to not build a death trap ;) But the convenient thing about boxing up the kit and re-selling is that people here might buy it from me, and they would understand what I mean by it having an SBP front mount, the carb adjusted in the right way, an ngk plug, and other goodies. A CL buyer wouldn't understand, but I could squeeze maybe 200-250 from a $170 engine kit and a cheap bike. Decisions decisions...