Newbie with question

GoldenMotor.com

signedinwhite

Aug 29, 2010
Denver CO
Hello!
Im gonna start my first time build soon. Engine kit I'm thinking of deciding on is a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc. Plan on putting it on a cruiser of mine. What I'm wondering is that my cruiser wieghs like 60-75 pounds or so. I want the thing to go fairly fast and I'm wondering how this weight will effect its speed. I live in Denver so im at a high altitude and I weigh about 140lbs. How fast should I beable to get my bike going? I will get a CNS carb with the engine kit as well.

Thanks! Very stoked on being part of this forum.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum Signedinwhite ! A stock motor at your weight will run fine. Preferred sprocket size voted by many is 40 teeth.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. A cruiser frame is a good choice, I think. And a heavy, strong frame makes for a safe ride. Think, too, about brakes, especially in hilly country... now you no longer have a bicycle. Now it is a new kinda critter. Stay safe and have fun!
SB

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
in theory, the heavier the bike, the faster top speed it will have. it just takes longer and more energy to get it there, while a lighter bike may accelerate to top speed faster, but requires more energy to keep it going that fast. kinda like a go-kart will blow a car off the line, but let off the gas and the gokart stops, while the mass of the car will keep it rolling.

all my bikes are heavy duty steel, american made, vintage cruisers, full fendered, chaingaurds, etc, and i don't worry about the weight at all. i believe that the more solid the bike, the better the ride, and the more stable at high speed.

i weigh 135, and i dunno what my bike weighs, but it ain't light, and it goes really fast.