Electric Start

GoldenMotor.com

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Anyone had any experience with this electric start engine from Monster Scooter:

http://http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/49encowielst.html

Doesn't say anything about horse power rating but would be kind of cool for Stanon or GEBE owners to be able to start and stop their engines from a switch on the handlebars. A small 5 AH SLA like I have for the electric start on my "Walk Behind" lawn mower would probably work. Only weighs a couple of pounds and I only charge it once a season.auflg

masterx1234

May 7, 2009
grayson Kentucky
engine will perform very well and is 4 HP and will top off at 40 MPH with a 1.25 inch drive roller and you will have to order a gas tank for it since it dont come with one

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
They work quite well. I've had several scooter choppers with that style engine. The bigest issue I found was the low quality batteries available in the small size needed to fit those choppers. If you get an year from one, you're doing good.
The starter is built into the recoil assembly and also functions as a generator on some, depending which exact engine you get.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
I doubt the engine is 4hp. It has an electric starter and it will also charge.

I have a Zenoah/Goped 51cc and it develops only 3.2hp. Same as my Kawasaki TH48 48cc engine. Also have a Zenoah 72cc blower engine that develops 4.6hp

The Grubee electric start has been posted on the website for a while and I doubt it will ever be developed. It's amazing what you can do with Photoshop.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Personally, I see no point in electric start on a chinacirl. More stuff to fail and bumping these engines to life is dead easy. Why carry extra weight?
It's a nice option on a centrifugal clutch bike though, especially on those cold days when it's a bit harder to start....

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I have a similar engine on my BMX to the one posted originally. It was rated at 2.5 HP from Predator in the auger with a crappy exhaust, spark plug, clutch tuning, and carb settings. When you tune one up with a pocket bike expansion chamber, better spark plug, lighten the clutch arms, and richen it up for a 5 heat range plug, I would say it easily makes 4 HP. My BMX effortlessly does a burnout every time I take off from a stop and will do 25 without any pedal assist uphill, 30 mph on flats or downhill if I overrev it to 13500 rpms, which it will do with no protest and sounds awesome. The electric starters aren't that popular on pocket bikes since these engines start very easily with the pull starter, and the motor adds weight to the crank which limits the power and the revs due to the inertia and effect on the crank balancing. The Grubee electric start HT looks to use the same electric starter motor from these engines cobbled onto the magneto cover and attached to the end of the crank.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A clone of the Honda CRF50, this one made by Lifan. It's an exact enough copy that Honda & CRF50 aftermarket parts fit, they're also known as "monkey bike" or "pit bike" engines :)

There's lots of variations to choose from, with or without electric start, automatic, auto-clutched & standard, 2,3, or 4 gears - they're all around $250 or so, carb included you'll need a CDI & regulator/rectifier (about $20 stock) & an exhaust system of your choosing.