am i going overboard... yet???

GoldenMotor.com

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
if not, i will soon, no doubt...

just thought i would share my super cheap, fully functional, electrical setup.

i started with 2 super bright cree 2000 lumen lights, an old gps enabled phone, mini rechargeable speakers, signal/brake/running lights with built in horn, and a solar charger, also with an internal storage battery.
i put the 14500/18650 charge adapter inside the bag to reduce clutter.

all of it is usb enabled, so i can solar charge or quick charge all of them with any usb plug.
total cost... under $40. gps, music, wicked speedometer app and all.
total weight... about 1 pound.

all of it is setup so i can remove it quickly if i want wanted too, wiring harness and all.

and, now i can light up a football field... if the need ever arises. lol

edit: it was thumping some AC/DC when i took the pic... BTW "-)

Attachments

Last edited:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Freaking awesome Leo.
I have a street motor bike on the opposite end of the scale, minimal electronics:

That one pull switch is the main power/headlights on (with bar hi/lo sig horn controls). That is the signal flasher relay on the right. Two fingers will cover the speedo unit. The rat's nest of wires behind the speedo is unavoidable. Gotta go somewhere. This is a fully street legal 125 2 stroke with 20L (250+kms) of fuel capacity and 140kph top speed.

Steve

Last edited:

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Wait, what?

A 125cc 2 stroke can only go 250km on 20L?

I have a tank half that size, a 4 stroke twin that's 8x the size, and can still make it 200km. And it can go over 160km/h.

Last edited:

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Wait, what?

A 125cc 2 stroke can only go 250km on 20L?

I have a tank half that size, a 4 stroke twin that's 8x the size, and can still make it 200km. And it can go over 160km/h.
I doubt you will get through the first watercrossing. :)
That is a conservative figure. We did a 280kms run one day of about 80% off road. I fueled up mid way and wish I didn't to see if it would have made the distance. It is sort of like having a pee, never pass up an opportunity to refuel if you don't know where the next one will be.

Fuel mileage is not a strong point of the 125 2 stroke, at about 55mpg(imp) at highway speeds (60-70mph). This is about the same as my 1985 XT600 would get, but then it weighed 320 lbs. I had a 1974 XL250 and 1979 XL500 that both would return as much as 80mpg(imp) if driven carefully at about 50mph. Never tested the 125 at 50mph. I have done several trips of slightly over 200 kms non-stop so that is what I stated.

8 times larger displacement and only goes 20kph faster? :)

Steve