Old Highway

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The other day I decided to ride up the back side of the Catalina mountains using the Old Mt. Lemmon highway.

Tried one time to make it up on the BoXer but it was just too steep for the gearing I had at the time. Wasn't sure if the 36t on the hardRock was going to work but it did.

My journey began at Peppersauce canyon, few miles from Oracle,AZ. I decided to truck my bike as it would have taken all day just to ride their from my home not to mention crazy amount of fuel I would need. In the end, the decision to truck my bike saved my butt. I still feel like I was on a episode of animal planets "I survived".

Did not carry too much with me on this trip other then 3 tubes, 2 patches; enough tools to change tires and water a few snacks to munch on. Normally i only carry one patch and one extra tube. Something told me to take more this time.

The first 5 miles was nice until i had my first flat on the front. Patched it was on my way again.

Then, I hit a huge rock with the rear and immediately the tire went flat. When i pulled the tire off realized this tube is gone, tossed in a spare.

I did not get but 2 miles and the rear went flat again! Looked like another pinch? Used another spare tube, i even questioned myself if i should continue or turn around back down the mountain. But i still had one spare tube and one patch i figured i was okay to keep going.

Nope! 3/4 of the way up rear went flat again this time with a huge thorn. Instead of patching I tossed in my last tube i was so close to the top I just wanted to get it over with by this time.

Six miles from the top the rear went flat again, this time i could not get my patch to hold. I must have pulled that rear tire off a dozen times. Tried patching all the tubes just would not hold. I tried black tape, duct tape, cutting a tube to make patches.

After a while of trying to Macgyver a tube to hold air it was getting late and I had to make a decision. I knew I had to abandon my bike, but do i continue walking up the mountain and looking for help? Or do I try to walk out of here to my truck?

So I stashed my bike under a tree and covered it with bushes. 5 1/2 hours later i finally made it to my truck. I was so tired I did not even want to go back to get my bike. I thought about abandoning it for good. I even started to drive back home when i thought, tomorrow i will feel better and regret leaving my bike. Turned around and made the long crazy drive back up the mountain.

Two attempts to go up it on a motorized bicycle and both times i failed. One day i will be the fist to ride up the back side on a motorized bicycle. it will be conquered.

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Wow! Must have lots of thorns there!:-||

Ever considered moped or motorcycle tires and wheels?

Last edited by a moderator:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been on that road in a truck... not much of a road for sure. Some years back I spent a winter in Tucson wanting to see what a warm winter was like. By April I missed the north country so much I bugged out and have never been back. I guess it is a matter of what you are accustomed to. The high desert was not for me. I like forest and lakes and even the snow. Your ride sounds like a kind of punishment... wow!
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, Dave, you're a better man than me. I'd have been heading back down after the second flat. But I can appreciate your desire to conquer that hill and someday you will. Even if it means running solid tires just for the trip you need to do it just so you can say, "I did it".
Good luck and thanks for the story.

Tom

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Ever considered moped or motorcycle tires and wheels?
Yes I have in the past, but I think to me it would defeat the purpose of having a motor assisted bicycle. If I added moped or motorcycle wheels I feel half the stuff that I enjoy doing on my motor assisted bicycle I wont be able to do anymore.

If I was to get motorcycle wheels, I'd just get the motorcycle to go with it.

Two flats were from cactus, the other flats just look like punctures from some very sharp rocks. I actually have a pretty good cut on the tire that apparently went all the way to the tube.

I think the extra weight, along with the speeds and all the sharp rocks on the road contributed to so many tube failures.

One of the things i hate the most is trying to carry enough water, water is heavy. Maybe I just had too much? I took more then usual. But all that water was gone before i ever made it back to my truck so I am glad I took it.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, sharp rocks. That whole road is made of sharp rocks.

If I saw that, I would turn around and go the other way - :)

Good luck!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Good story Dave, thanks for sharing. Has anyone had any luck with the tire liners. Looked at them at Wal-Mart or somewhere, years ago. They were light weight and cheap, seemed like very tuff material.

Put a goodly amount of green slime in MAB tires , MB seemed awfully sluggish on takeoff.

Ron

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've never used bought tire liners but I do make my own using old inner tubes. Not a big fan of tire slim seems like to me I have more flats when I use slim.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Dave

The tire liners had much much more puncher resistance than a tube liner. The were very light and thinly feathered at edges. About $6. ea 5 yrs ago. They mite become your Main Squeeze if you try them.

NT don't like you havin all dem flat tyres in no-mans land, bad dudes out there.

................NT................shft.