"Stolen" Stiletto 79cc Predator trike truck beta

GoldenMotor.com

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I picked up a rusty chrome Giant Stiletto for $30 a couple years ago and had always planned to make it a shifter but for some reason I triked it instead. I had also planned to take my time and do it right but thanks to the impending demise of my current and first bike that's not happening either. I'm to lazy to go into build details pictures will do that for me. I will tell you major mistakes were made and this thing has five chains with four different sizes lol. Current top speed with governor 20mph.

Near future plans.
A 12v lighting system with a 30-40watt solar panel as a bed cover.
Reenforce frame and rear-end.
Non stock gas tank. Homemade one buddy gave me, Harley tank or mini keg in bed.
Change gear ratio from 11.56:1 to 12.44:1 and remove governor once I know the local cops are ok with the trike.

Future plans but probably not soon.
20x4in rims with motorcycle tires on the back, 24x3in front with disk hub, and disk for each back wheel.
Clean up welds, sandblast and paint.
Probably more but I'm tired.

And yes, it has an aerosol can muffler.

.trk

Attachments

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Not sure about the homemade tank my friend gave me. there is a piece of slag bouncing around in it, no vent, cap is 1/4in stainless and will be a pain to add a vent, no mounts, and it keeps from doing a u turn. hopefully I get to go check out the supposed Harley tank on old snapper rider today lol.

Attachments

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
The Harley tank was actually a Harley oil tank. Lol just imagine a shiny chrome oil tank bolted to a rusty red and whitish snapper rider as a gas tank. Sadly mom's crazy and the guy wasn't willing to sell or trade it for anything.

The picks below are the same style as the one he has on the snapper.

Attachments

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Disconnected the governor today. It's weird, all vibes vanish somewhere between 20mph and 25mph. I'm not sure if its the cheap max torque clutch or the rpm range the engine is balanced in. Probably a bit of both though.

Also debating flipping the shaft to make the right wheel the drive side. It's currently on the left and the crown of the roads around here make it pull right. I'm hoping this will help counter that a bit. If not I'll have to move the left wheel 1/8" out or the right in but will probably have to move both 1/16" to keep the chain from being too tight or loose.

The coffin tank still needs mounts and a vent. I haven't seen my buddy who gave it to me and he's the one that can weld. Sadly a keg would have to be the size of a 2liter or the carb intake nipple would be higher than the tank outlet. So I may end up using foam and/or bondo to turn a stock tank into something, just haven't decided between a nice teardrop or something like the oil tank.

And yes I need more bolts for the bed they don't all match at the moment.

Attachments

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Didn't think to take pictures yet but disk brake and the coffin tank are now mounted. Wile I was out there helping him build stuff at his house he got bored and decided to see what he could do with a hammer and piece of aluminum.

I'll take pictures of the tank and disk when the sun is out. The camera on my phone doesn't like artificial light to much. I end up with really grainy pictures.

I used the locking lever from the 2stroke so I now have a parking break and I had already made a break light switch on it. That big disk and caliper from the stiletto has more stopping power than I thought, its kinda hard to find a sweet spot and not lock it up.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I like the coffin tank, and if it gets in the way, what about sliding it back a little bit?

Failing that, why not get hold of a fairly ordinary mower etc tank, and mount it just in front of the body and off to one side of the saddle?

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I have been rockin the coffin tank and added lights. Sadly the the disk brake on the jackshaft was too much for the drive shaft and will have to be mounted to a wheel. The front forks on a Giant Stiletto are for 14mm hubs and that means building a wheel myself, which I have never done before and using a 14mm to 3/8 adapter of some kind.

After an oncoming car decided to turn into a driveway without using a turn signal and cut it pretty close even if they had signaled, the key slot is so twisted that I will have to cut the shaft to get it out.

There's also a few mistakes that need corrected that I'm just to lazy to write out, so version 2 sometime in the next few months. Tell then I'm going to have a buddy weld mounts to the frame and throw my new 2stroke on the old Delmar. I also have a 62 Schwinn 5spd Corvette frame that I just cant make up my mind on what to use.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice job on the trike... I like it! Venting the coffin tank should not be a problem. Drill a wee hole in the top of the cap and on the inside make a little baffle out of plastic in a flower shape (petals radiating out from center) held in place with a ring of rubber gasket which it probably already has... like a garden hose gasket... or instead of making the baffle you can purchase an axle cap in an appropriate size to use as a baffle. Learned that one here on the forum.

What are you using for an automatic clutch and what size sprockets? Are you happy with the power?
SB

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I finally got around to replacing the shaft and mounted the disk to the front wheel.

I ended up with a final gear ratio of 14.22:1 for the those interested.
11 on clutch to 32 on the jackshaft
9 on the shaft to 44 welded to the hub
20 from the hub to 20 on the axle
The 20x3" tires measure 21.64xxxxxxxxx"
I'm lazy so I put this into the little Ratio Calculator app and it tells me 27.1mph at 6000rpm. I can get it up to 32mph on a flat but the valves don't sound very happy at all so I try to keep it around 25-28mph. This was tested with bike computer, phone gps speedometer and car following me all taken on separate runs. I use it for 3mile round trip grocery runs and hauling me around this tiny little town so it doesn't need top speed anyway.

I'm sitting here staring at a Cheetah that will drop it back down to 12.03:1 aggravated that I have to wait tell Thursday to try it. I ordered a 3/4" to 5/8" adapter at the same time and all I saw that came with the over sized key wile looking were 1 1/4" long. Never thought to measure the Cheetah tell Sunday and it takes up 2 1/4" of the shaft. Luckily I found a 3/4 to 5/8 HEIM JOINT reducer that's 7/8" long for $4.50 shipped that should keep the sprocket section of the clutch from riding on air and asking for trouble. I only got the Cheetah hoping it will get rid of the acceleration vibrations that I can only assume are from the $30 Max Torque clutch. Actually, now that I think back going from 12.44:1 to 14.22:1 lessened the vibes and moved them from take off to acceleration so I'm about certain its the clutch. It will be nice if the cheetah is smooth enough to let me take off without pedaling at the 12.03:1 ratio. If not I'll have to buy a 24 to replace the 20 tooth on the final axle or change the 32 on the js back to the 28 and hack up the 28 tooth chain ring I got for another project and attach it to the 20 tooth. Option 2 is a pain but saves $25 and a week of waiting for the part. Oh the cheetah comes with a 13 14 and 15 tooth #35 sprockets and the smallest they make for it is a 12t and is obviously the reason for the gear ratio changes.

The disk isn't near as good on the wheel as it was on the jackshaft. Never thought about the gear ratios making the disk brake better until I moved it to the front wheel. The picture below is what happened to the axle after locking up the brake when it was on the jackshaft. I was only doing 15-20mph at the time. It had been twisted for a wile but not this bad. This time cutting it out was the only option.

And after 10 months of just sitting on the covered front porch the little predator fired on the first pull and started on the second in below freezing temperatures with gas that had been sitting in the jug just as long if not longer. Would have been from the tank but some punk drained it less than a week after I parked the thing.

Attachments

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
The trike vanished from my porch this morning. Figured I'd post here in the super unlikely even someone see's or buys it and comes here looking for help.

Most recent picture since I never took any after the ones put on this thread other than the ones my camera takes when turned on sadly it was not on today since it hogs the wifi.

pic-20191205110659.jpg

Reactions: fasteddy