motorized bicycling with trailers

GoldenMotor.com

What type trailer do you use for towing with a MAB?

• Total voters

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Having a motor gives you a lot more range on a bicycle, as well as more power to haul cargo. I remember seeing bicyclists crossing the deserts in Arizona and New Mexico, hauling large bulky trailers sometimes, or with lots of bags/packs on their bikes. A couple had small motors.

I don't plan to drive across the country on a motorized bicycle, but I like going to the store on mine, or taking a Sunday drive. I don't really want to put a lot of racks and bags on my bike, so a trailer makes it very easy to tow something and then go back to my regular configuration.

Please share trailers to purchase or build, that you have used with your bike.

I like converting kid carriages to cargo trailers.
Here is one I got from a yard sale, a Toys R Us model, kind of old, with a steel frame. It is heavy, but strong. The Nylon fabric was hard to paint. If you plan to paint yours, I recommend using up a couple cans of the cheapest paint/leftover paint you have first. The fabric was very strong, with a rubberized foot panel. It got moldy in storage though, and the top got chewed by a dog, so I made something else out of the frame.

Here is another one I got, from the trash. There is a picture of a "new" one to show what the model looks like. You can find these cheap! (Safety 1st brand walmart trailer)

If the fabric is good, this one can carry an 18gal bin in front of the seat, or a 24 gallon bin with the seat folded flat.

Here is my favorite. This one is very light, and came with the best quality wheels! (Instep Turbo trailer) It is taller than many kid trailers, but the wind resistance isn't as much a problem for putting around with a kid, or towing some food in a basket. Laundry baskets fit in the front of this one, and a fabric grocery bag can fit behind the seat.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Here is the trailer I was using, got it off e-bay it came damaged with one of the wheel bumpers bent, so the seller rebated 45.00 ( which was good becuase I was going to take them off anyways. It is a pretty solid trailer and the wheels are heavy duty 12 ga. spokes. I have put 100 plus pounds in it.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Great looking bike and trailer combo. Can you tell us more about the trailer? Was it sold that way? (looks to be a fabric-over-frame cargo trailer). Did your bike already have cantilever axles?

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx
Here's my low class setup......

I don't have a car, so the bike and trailer are my livelyhood.... (I clean boats at the various marinas around the island)...

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Hello, Born to Fli . That isn't "low class", really. It looks nice and if you are using it for work, that's even better! Did you build it from another cart or trailer? I like the long boom. I think the ones on my kid trailer are almost too short. I may build some longer trailer tongues from square tubing, especially for the lawn mower trailer. The long tongue is good if you have items with poles or long handles like brooms, mops, or brushes.

Chainmaker, I like the cargo trailer. It says it has a solid bottom. Is it made of metal or wood?
The Ebay seller i10direct also sells a 16" wheel canti axle trailer with a folding plastic box, about the same price ($150 shipped) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cargo-Bicyc...758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abbc8242e

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Cargo-Bicycle-Trailer-with-removable-Gray-Plastic-Bin-/00/s/MzEyWDQwMA==/$(KGrHqF,!ocF!J-qugcDBQSNyheGzQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.i10direct.com/product_im...Bicycle-Trailer-Red-and-Black__71789_zoom.jpg

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

http://www.wilsonmfgco.com/hitchpins/images/WL2600.jpg

Replace this with a standard bolt and hardware for more strength.

If you are not going to fold the trailer up, or are carrying heavy loads, I highly recommend replacing the trailer hitch pin on the neck joint, with a steel allen head bolt, washers, and nylock nut. You can even keep the hitch pin tied to the neck for later, but the bolt will make the connection much more solid, and prevent wear or trailer bucking, and decrease noise.

I have one trailer with an aluminum bracket for the trailer tongue, and it has a little wear from the hitch pin elongating the hole. It still works, but sometimes it's annoying.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

http://www.wilsonmfgco.com/hitchpins/images/WL2600.jpg

Replace this with a standard bolt and hardware for more strength.

If you are not going to fold the trailer up, or are carrying heavy loads, I highly recommend replacing the trailer hitch pin on the neck joint, with a steel allen head bolt, washers, and nylock nut. You can even keep the hitch pin tied to the neck for later, but the bolt will make the connection much more solid, and prevent wear or trailer bucking, and decrease noise.

I have one trailer with an aluminum bracket for the trailer tongue, and it has a little wear from the hitch pin elongating the hole. It still works, but sometimes it's annoying.
Instead of a bolt I use a long shank padlock. If the hitch is bolted to the bike, and the trailer is padlocked to the hitch then you can just lock up the bike without worrying about someone walking away with the trailer when yer in the store. I'll try to post a pic of my setup later today.
fatdaddy.usflg
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
As you can see my bike and trailer are well used. Taking the picture I said to myself, "Self, It's time to clean and touch up paint".
But as you can also see, NO ONE is stealing my trailer without bringing their own tools. Their not gonna just walk up and unhook it.
It's just a converted kiddie trailer, but it's been working for me for almost four years now. I've even hauled friends motorized bicycles that broke down too far from home. I use it mostly for shopping. It'll hold eight or ten bags at a time. Not that I can afford ten bags of groceries, I'm just saying it'll do it.
fatdaddy.usflg
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.

Attachments

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Cool. I've never seen one like that before (the hitch with padlock).

I don't know if there are a lot of trailer thieves, but I am sure that having a bike locked to a trailer makes it less interesting to bike thieves if they weren't looking for a trailer. Either way, it looks like a solid connection. Padlock shackles are pretty strong metal.

Here is a trailer I made from a junked kid trailer. It has a wire grid floor and can hold 2 laundry baskets, 1 picnic cooler, 4 milk crates, or a couple Rubbermaid totes. A lot of Walmart bags can go in there.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
here's the one I made. It was a "Safety 1st" Walmart kid trailer I got from the trash. It has push-button-removal wheels which might not be the best thing for theft-prevention, but they do work great for tire changes or storage. Trailer is a bit heavy (all steel), but solid! I could pull a weeks worth of groceries on it at 20mph and feel ok.

http://www.instructables.com/id/low-offroadcargo-bicycle-trailer-conversion-fro/

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FGF/2K8V/H9G0LHUZ/FGF2K8VH9G0LHUZ.LARGE.jpg

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I haven't gotten to do much biking so far this year, but last year I did a lot of bicycling with my kid, in her carriage (the yellow one usually). I usually used the motorized bicycle since we could go farther and I'd have the power to motor back to the car faster if we played too long at the parks. Sometimes I'd just pedal, but I liked having the option to motor for more speed or when we needed to cover some ground in a hurry. I could carry more toys, more food, and a radio, with the engine-assisted bike, than any of my conventional bikes. The modified Tanaka is so quiet, too, that no one seemed to mind at all if we puttered along on local paths and residential streets to go to local businesses and restaurants. A lot of people waved or made positive gestures or showed their friends as we passed, and a few said positive comments if we stopped to chat.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

its a little dirty this pic was taken after about 200 plus miles all on a dirt road .

my buddys old one he finaly got rid of all that ratty fabric ill have to get a better pic .

heres my old trailer it was originaly a old kid trailer that i got for free spray painted it tan to match my bike for the floor plate used a old street sighn which you can by at home depot their aluminum so they wont rust and you can bolt into it fairly easy .
i also added a 40mm ammo can to secure goodies in on my bike while its parked.

think i will have to take mine on a grocey trip here soon .

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I must say that I have wondered about building a trailer as i can see that they could be very useful indeed. Up until now I've used my electric powered Hercules trike to haul sizeable loads which it does very well, only I've been limited by the length of the frame and if I'm not careful how I distribute the load it sometimes wants to put air under its front tyre as soon as I dismount. I can't help wondering if the trike would be best used as a tractor to haul a trailer as it already has the weight of two 12volt batteries over the rear axle without me loading more onto it.

Sometime ago I pulled the wireframe basket part of a supermarket trolley out of the scrap pile at the local council recycling depot and while I mostly use it to store steel offcuts in my garage workshop it would most probably make a useful trailer without too much work.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've a "Commercial model (sold as a cargo trailer)" I have to say if you've the option definitely go the "home-made" route, store bought trailers are both "one size fits none" as in, not suited to specifically motorized biking or your build and they're priced disproportionally for the product you receive, the better ones are really quite expensive & the cheap ones are garbage.

Pressed for time (spring, camping awaited) I bought one instead of building one, I'd been keeping an eye out & shopping around, there was no way I was going to spend $300+ for a basket w/a wheel attached no matter how well it was made so I got a cheapo to get me by, I figured I could use it for parts if nothing else.

It's a disappointingly poorly designed chunk of almost-useless, I'd have been better off with a converted kiddy-kart like some of the above. Those, while enough for some I'm worried about speeds & weight and I figure if I'm going to "convert" something I might as well build something lol... it's that pesky "to do" list again.

There's a bunch of trailer hardware & components available, the hitch points & other tricky bits so those are easy & I grabbed a three wheeled "jogging stroller" at a yard sale for a coupla bucks, it's got the nice sealed bearing, single sided hubs & so there's my wheelset for example ($10).

I'm never buying another bike trailer :rolleyes:

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Before I had a sidecar the dog rode in a kiddy trailer (Instep lightning model)... wore out the fabric covering on one and then got another one at a yard sale of the same model. Wheels were decent and it would hold a hundred pounds or so. There was little drag so it is a good way to go, I think. I've had thoughts of one without the fabric covering for hauling a tent, sleeping bag, etc. for use along with the sidecar. Will see after the next engine transplant/ upgrade to determine if there will be enough power for dog, sidecar and trailer with gear in tow. I have this fantasy about a road camping trip by motorbike.
SB