Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
If I were to make a complete upgrade kit that included:

1) Isolated engine mounts

2) sprocket adapter & sprocket

3) intake manifold

4) clutch actuator

5) all related hardware, and more as I do the first build.

Which bike would be preferred?

This kit will allow the Chinese engine kit to be installed without any fuss at all, using common tools. This kit wil alleviate the need to cobble any part of the kit together. Ridability and durability will be greatly enhanced. I may even include the tools...There will be a really good manual as well.

The Cranbrook is $89.00 and the Jaguar is $149.00.

I want to do a kit, (initially), for a readily available steel frame bike.

This is more or less a poll with the highest number of votes being the first one I'll offer. I'm partial to the Jaguar, but it is a bit more money.

I realize that there are many bikes other than these that make great motorbikes, but again I'm looking at it from a price and availability standpoint.

I know this kit will not be for everyone, but I would still like your input regarding these two bikes. For the customer who has limited mechanical knowledge, and even less patience/tools...this kit will be a real value..trk

If the interest is there, this kit can be ready for purchase by the end of January.

Jim

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
i installed on the Huffy i actually had the jaguar at first but returned it the rear wheel just was not very sturdy.

The huffy build went pretty smooth once i made a front bracket for the motor. I have had a chance to ride a few MBs and My huffy has very little vibration.

Also i did not need to modify the brake dust cover on the huffy as i would have to on the jaguar

Pics are of my personal bike.

Personally i would purchase a install kit to ease in building as i can follow directions but a fabricator i am not.

My 2 cents anyway

.spr..bld..wee.

Attachments

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I know the cheaper bikes are all made in China, but I am partial to the Jaguar. I built one and it came out very nice. All Target stores carry them. I see they are on sale now for $124.00. Just my 2 cents worth.
John

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I've got a Jaguar and I really like it. But I like the looks of the Huffy also. So I guess I'll have to vote Schwinn. I got to be loyal to my bike.......................

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
How about the upgrade kit without the bike so people could use their own choice of rides?.wee.
There are a lot of factors that make a universal kit difficult to develope. I want to know that if a customer buys a specific bike, he/she will have zero problems...this is the reason that my kit will be specific to a certain brand/model initially. As I pursue this further I will learn how to produce kits that fit a variety of bikes. This takes time...for now I want to produce a kit that is guranteed to alleviate the common installation problems for a given make/model.

When a newbie comes to this forum and is upfront about the fact that they have very little mechanical ability...I want seasoned MB's on this forum to tell them that thier best bet is to buy my kit and the recommended bike.

I know it is limiting, and of course the kit will undoubtedly be able to be adapted to another make/model of bike...but the guarantee of zero hassle is what I'm after.

Jim

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'll also add this; I know they all come from the same factory in china now...
But anyone from the "old school" knows that Schwinns were always cooler than Huffys!!

:crash: laff

seca40

Nov 15, 2008
Albuquerque
But anyone from the "old school" knows that Schwinns were always cooler than Huffys!!

:crash: laff[/QUOTE]

One more vote for the Schwinn.dnut

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Jim, you are right about trying to make universal parts. I have been making these different spring tensioners. It would be awfully hard to try to make them universal. There are so many variables. Such as frame tubing size, angle the frame tube runs versus parallel to chain just to name a few. Building everything for the same type bike would be the hot setup!
John

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Jim, you are right about trying to make universal parts. I have been making these different spring tensioners. It would be awfully hard to try to make them universal. There are so many variables. Such as frame tubing size, angle the frame tube runs versus parallel to chain just to name a few. Building everything for the same type bike would be the hot setup!
John
Yes exactly! It doesn't take much of a change to throw everything out of whack!

There is a good chance that the kit I do "will" work on another bike with a little tweaking, but I don't want risk having someone frustrated. If it's known that my kit will adapt perfectly to the suggested bike, I'll know I'm going to have a happy customer. No single bike will satisfy everyone, but I've got to start somewhere.

I want to make a kit for Felt too, but they are pricey...so I figure the greatest chance for success initially will be with a dept. store bike that can be found nationwide.

Jim

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
something else to consider would be to offer the parts as separate items as well give them a part number and we could order the items. like a pre modded dust cover for example. i know i put my kit together in the garage with no bench and simple hand tools and had to fab a few things making it a nightmare.

When i researched building a bike i would have purchased a "recommended" bike and install kit along with the motor for my first build. Lets face it building the first one makes you realize what you really want in the next one. just chiming in.

Jeff

Last edited: