Larger diameter Frame lugs needed

GoldenMotor.com

EarlyRider

Aug 31, 2013
WI
Does anyone know of a supplier where I can get frame lugs to do a build that has larger tubing than a standard bicycle? More for motorcycle, motorbike, or tandem bicycle application? I couldn't find much of anything. I'm just curious what is all out there for heavier duty or larger diameter frame lugs as I'd like to purchase some.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, ER.
You've come to the right place for help but unfortunately I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. "frame lugs".
Can you be more specific? Engine mounting hardware maybe?

Tom

EarlyRider

Aug 31, 2013
WI
Castings would be more appropriate, to braze the frame tubes into, rather than welding the tubes in.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
buba here

top secret!!!!

chop an old bike ---- free or cheap

exercise caution while cutting --good gloves full face shield --and exercise caution at every turn

don't tell anyone buba told you

Last edited:

EarlyRider

Aug 31, 2013
WI
Thanks Buba, so basic, yet so effective... I'm envisioning my tubing at 1.5" or so, I actually have a few other ideas now, so we'll see.

Dave

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
The Timeless motor company makes exact replicas of early Harley's and now Merkel's built with traditional cast steel lugs and braised tubing...

http://www.timelessmotorcompany.com/home.html

And another builder here was able to buy just a single large drive pulley from them. So perhaps they would sell just the lugs? Although I don’t imagine it would be inexpensive.

The old motorcycles did use tubing slightly larger that the vintage bicycles must of us use for creating our builds.

And then here’s a impressive approach being done by new member JonesL...

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=50108

-Kirk