My 4 stroke with keyed kill/ignition switch

GoldenMotor.com

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
I came across a keyed ignition switch at a friends house so I asked if I could have it. A year later and I still have it, so this week I finally got around to figuring it out. I mounted it in the ammo can on the back of my 4 stroke friction drive bike. Everything ran really smoothly except when the key is on its a closed circuit which is good for a ht but not for a 4 stroke kill so switch, so to make it a open circuit when the switch is on and a closed circuit when the switch is on I got a relay from a friend and presto! It works like a charm. Here's some pics of it, tell me what you guys think. And if anyone wants I have a wiring diagram to.

Sorry I can't directly post pics from phone. http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/len455/library/?sort=3&page=1
It's should be the second third and forth picture second one is the ammo can fully loaded and ready to ride. There is also a rand switch in their, it's for my garage door opener

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, that is awesome Len. Getting to bat bike/cave stuff. Sweeping down the road and garage door opening as you slide in. Then it closes behind you as you kill the engine, keeping the batcaves secret location, secret. Then to be called back into action to fight crime and vehicular mediocrity....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBe3QzVW5_8

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My bad! (forgot the whole secret identity thing)

Is a great idea.Adds storage and a dry/safe place for wiring.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Yea. I keep a rag, flat kit, small pump, a fuel bottle some matchs and other assorted tools. I also sealed up the hole for wiring with silicone.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nice.....

Enough gas to get home is worth it's weight in enough gas to get home x 27! (LOL, am studying for math final and everything has an exponent, sign or a product of some sort in my head)

Been toying with an idea to make a 12V gen for motorized bicycles @ their avg. speed. Use an ammo can secured to the steering tube. Mount a head light on front of can and house the battery/wiring inside.

Be kinda ugly but very functional. Would be a small one so not ideal for storage like your's. (needs venting too)

Forgive the ramble.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really dunno Len. Drove past my favorite Army/Navy place today but couldn't stop in.

But have to make a motorized bicycle 12V gen first. Then size a battery. Kinda back burnered I guess.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
I've been toying with the idea of just getting a small go kart/motorcycle battery from Walmart And charging it every night. I wonder if its possible to hook a dynamo up to the chain for power, like how an alternator is powered off of a belt from the engine. If you could use that to give the battery a little bit of charge you could probably go for a long time.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think most stores like walmart would have them but saw a battery and charger set there that was a replacement pack for a kids car. One a small child could ride in. Think it was 6V but would be kinda perfect. Was like $13 or some thing, Len

I didn't try it thinking I wanted to try a solar panel first. Then a DIY friction thing. Yard lights work really well. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=1853

This really has great possibilities but I never followed up. But it is on the list, lol. (The list gets longer and longer and I'll be long pushing up daisies b4 I get to half of it)

I have been avoiding alts. thinking they would rob a lot of engine umph. Takes a lot of power to gen electricity and would be a strain on our limited HP. Here in CT., I am allowed 5 HP but that is a huge motor for a bike.

Dunno. Many, many options and each need some compromise.

Really is fun exploring em though!

r.ly.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Works really well. The reflector is defused so not perfect and needs to be more like a spotlight. As is, would make awesome running lights.

James Morrison

Jan 16, 2020
Mesa Arizona
Hey Len, you said you have a wiring diagram? Would it be possible to share it? I’ve been looking for a way to add a key ignition as a barrier to theft and want to make one similar to yours. I know this is an older post but hopefully you still have it?