Can't align sprocket on new wheel

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, I can't align my sprocket on this new wheel I have. The part where the sprocket sits is too short, so when I put on the rag joint and the sprocket, it just hangs there. What can I do? This is the final part of rebuilding this bike.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
1. The sprocket doesn't look like it's centered on the hub. I can see the gap is different from side to side.

2. The sprocket doesn't have to/ shouldn't touch anything but rubber and the bolts that hold it to the spokes. It might protrude out past the end of the hub but as long as there's no interference with the bike frame, no problem.

3. If those bolt heads don't hit anything, no problem but they really stick out there. If you have interference try some round head bolts, called 'button head' bolts.

Good luck and get that sprocket exactly centered on the hub so there is no up/down movement when you spin the wheel.
Tom

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Yeah thats what Im saying, Im having a really hard time centering it. Its like one of the spokes gets in the way or something. Maybe I can try with a friend holding it in place. And yeah theres lots of clearance for the bolts!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Take it off and try to re-center it by moving it. Sometimes just rotating it a spoke's width will give you the clearance you need.
Lay the sprocket on the spokes, look through the bolt holes and rotate the sprocket until all nine holes are open and not blocked by a spoke and the center hole is absolutely centered on the hub. Then put the bolts in and start tightening them evenly from side to side so there's no horizontal or verticle wobble.

Tom

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I was able to mount it by wrapping duct tape around the hub until the sprocket sat aligned. However, there is no way all the bolts fit. There is always one that can't fit in no matter what. Is this OK?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
No idea man. I bought these 26 inch wheels from a Trek mountain bike. No specs, and I really dont want to count them :p
You want a solution, you were asked how many spokes the wheel has, and now you don't want to count them? WTF. How lazy can you be that you can't put a piece of tape on one spoke (as a starting point) and count them. I guess you don't even take the garbage out either.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey hey man don't judge. I just thinking logically about it, these are the only wheels I have. No others. Don't plan on getting different wheels. So what's the difference if its a 32 spoke wheel or 36? I can't change that. I can't add more spokes you know? That's why I asked the second question, is it OK if I have the rag joint with one bolt missing.

But after I get home from work today, I can count the spokes.

And lol, yes. I take out the trash. I'm not a teenager

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Hey hey man don't judge. I just thinking logically about it, these are the only wheels I have. No others. Don't plan on getting different wheels. So what's the difference if its a 32 spoke wheel or 36? I can't change that. I can't add more spokes you know? That's why I asked the second question, is it OK if I have the rag joint with one bolt missing.

But after I get home from work today, I can count the spokes.

And lol, yes. I take out the trash. I'm not a teenager
The difference is fitting or not fitting. There are 18 spokes running to each side. They are crossed in pairs giving 9 pairs. The holes on the sprocket are drilled to line up with those 9 pairs. If you have 1 that does not line up then your chances of damaging your spokes is greatly increased. The only way to use the 32 spoke wheel is a hub adapter. Price of those will make you reconsider a new 36 spoke wheel. They can be found cheaper than the adapters.

It doesn't pay to be mule-headed about things. Because of the immense amount of variables flexibility in doing what needs to be done to get one of these bikes going is paramount. In this case stubborn can mean a broken bike which can lead to broken body. Pain sucks. :p

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You are lucky.
You shoulda seen me pull, push, shove, twist, turn and jam a sprocket onto a 28 spoked wheel.

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
.wee..wee..wee.I have a 29" wheel with 48 spokes. I use 6 of the 9 holes the other 3 will not line up. I have several hundred miles and no problems. You cant just slap the sprocket on you really have to take your time. Spin/check tighten/loosen. Spin/check tighten loosen. I'm going with a hub adapter for my next build.