GoldenMotor.com

dino27

Jun 15, 2011
London
Hello everyone

My name is Dino and I am realy happy to be here

I have already introdused myselfe so I hope you know me
And I am about to start my 1st project!

I need some advices to know if what I want to build is the right thing...

So what i think to build is:

Full suspension bike - I thought about Apollo kanion, have other suggestions?

Sick Bike Parts Kit - So I will be able to use the full suspension bike, am I right?

Starfire GT4\ Starfire GT5 Super Rat - Because I am in the UK, this is the only brand (as far as I know) that I have spare parts for here...
Is it possible to make it go 55 mph? If it is, which one of those 2 is better and have more potential to be tuned?

NuVinci cvt - Do you recommend it? if you do, witch type will be the best for me?

Do you think it is a good combination?
I will be realty happy for any advice...
Thanks!

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
Put up a pic of your bike and some dimensions and we can help more. Bikes that don't have a lot of clearance (2+ inches) between the seat tube and the back tire will have a lot of issues with the shift kit. And some full suspension bikes don't leave enough space to do an in frame installation.

55MPH is probably not possible with these engines. You can very comfortably do 30 and lots of people have gotten in the lower 40's. 55 sounds like a death wish unless you have awesome brakes.

There are a few guys around here who have the NuVinci and really like it. Do a search and you're sure to find their posts.

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Put up a pic of your bike and some dimensions and we can help more. Bikes that don't have a lot of clearance (2+ inches) between the seat tube and the back tire will have a lot of issues with the shift kit. And some full suspension bikes don't leave enough space to do an in frame installation.

55MPH is probably not possible with these engines. You can very comfortably do 30 and lots of people have gotten in the lower 40's. 55 sounds like a death wish unless you have awesome brakes.

There are a few guys around here who have the NuVinci and really like it. Do a search and you're sure to find their posts.
I just got clocked doing 50mph last night! and BAIRDCO has a bike wich has been clocked @nearly 60mph!
would never try that on a full suspension rig though!!!!! sounds like you'd be much happier on a small motorcycle/ enduro style street/dirt bike!

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I just got clocked doing 50mph last night! and BAIRDCO has a bike wich has been clocked @nearly 60mph!
would never try that on a full suspension rig though!!!!! sounds like you'd be much happier on a small motorcycle/ enduro style street/dirt bike!
ZOMG. That is completely nuts. I'd be scared for my life at that speed on a regular pedal bike.

dino27

Jun 15, 2011
London
I said 55 mph because it is important for me that the engine will be strong

What is really important for me is the acceleration
I know that if a small engine will achieve this speed it will also accelerate well

What about the engine?
Which is better the Starfire GT4 or the Starfire GT5 Super Rat?

And what the difference between those 2?

about the bike...
will it feat to this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
ZOMG. That is completely nuts. I'd be scared for my life at that speed on a regular pedal bike.
well- what I and, I'm sure, Bairdco do to a bike and the components used far exceed "a regular pedal bike"

and as far as acceleration, thats just gonna take A LOT of fiddling and canoodling to get her to run optimally! port matching, and cleaning- carb' adjustments, intake and exhaust choice, on and on...etc, etc...

these girls arent powerhouses out of the box- but the possibility is there if you have the know-how or the patience to learn! MOST EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM ARE ENDLESS SOURCES OF KNOWLEDGE! I couldn't foresee any problem which would be insurmountable!...

benutne

Apr 22, 2011
Spfd
I said 55 mph because it is important for me that the engine will be strong

What is really important for me is the acceleration
I know that if a small engine will achieve this speed it will also accelerate well

What about the engine?
Which is better the Starfire GT4 or the Starfire GT5 Super Rat?

And what the difference between those 2?

about the bike...
will it feat to this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Looks like you have plenty of clearance for the jackshaft. The only thing I would worry about is the kit itself fitting. Would it be possible to get us some measurements on the bike? Seatpost and downtube sizes are pretty much not an issue these days with aftermarket mounts but that crosstube with the spring in the way would be rubbing right on the top of an engine. I'd say without some accurate measurements it is too close to tell.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Most everyone here will tell you that going 55 on a bicycle will be scarey! It is a breeze on a moyorcycle, not so on a bike.

alienboy366

Jun 23, 2011
OC, California
OK i have the same question as well. I am a first time builder and i just got a new diamondback overdrive 29'er. there is 1 1/4 inch clearence from back of seat tube to the tire at the shortest place. the frame also is quite small. ARG I want to fit an 80/66cc motor as well as a SBP jackshaft kit. I'm in california too so so dang darn hard finding a seller at the right price. well, here's a pic and video PLEASE tell me if it'll fit, should i buy a kit then just see if it'll fit? if not buy another bike??? or what and also, jackshaft kit asks for seat tube size what if i get a different bike? well here's pic and here is video.
YouTube - ‪project bike? will it fit a motor and jackshaft kit?? i sure hope it does‬‏
stuff pictures by alienboy366 - Photobucket
thanks i need all the help i can get.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you'll probably never get close to 55+ with a shift kit. it's designed basically for acceleration so you don't have to pedal off the line, but the motors aren't strong enough to pull the bike into the higher gears.

i run a heavily modified GT4 with a 16mm mikuni carb, a modified Harley/Aermacchi head, custom pipe, and a reversed barrel (here's the build thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f38/one-more-40s-colson-add-fleet-21037.html)

i'm also 135lbs with a 28t sprocket.

the bike's been GPS'd at 54mph and will go faster, i just ran outta road :). gonna do some new videos soon.

it takes a little while to get up to speed, but not enough to make it unrideable, i just have to pedal a little more to get it going.

although i've never tried a GT5 super rat yet, the GT4 is, in my opinion, the best grubee motor out there. they were made by a different factory than the new GT5's and the quality is much better. the castings are much smoother, and they seem to run better than every other motor i've seen, ridden, and fixed.

i've built a few of the new GT5's (not the rats) and they're ok, but they're noticeably inferior to the GT4's. the castings on the fins are horrible, and they just don't make as much power as a stock GT4.

i've followed the threads about the super rats, and they seem to have a lot of problems, but without having owned one myself, i dunno if it's the engine or the guy building the bike (no offense to anyone, i just don't know the experience level of the people using them...)

realistically, a well tuned motor with a shift kit should see speeds in the 40-45mph range, but again, it depends on the builder's skills, weight, bike, etc.

if you want to comfortably cruise at 55+, you're going to need to go a different route, like a morini, or hopped up 4 stroke, or get away from a motorized bicycle altogether. it's not impossible with a chinese two stroke, but it's difficult.

also, when heavily modifying the chinese two stroker, you get into a whole 'nother realm of problems, trial and error, and longevity issues.

although there's a lot of hop-up parts on the aftermarket, the true potential for high speed racers hasn't been reached yet.

the 40mph barrier has only recently been breached by the masses, but 50 is still out of reach for the average builder.

as for building a bike that can handle the higher speeds, it's not that difficult, but it does take time, money and knowledge. my bikes aren't just off-the-shelf beach cruisers, they're heavy-duty steel monsters, weighing 70lbs+.

as the old saying goes, "speed's just a question of money. how fast ya wanna go?"