Hello from the Poconos, PA.

GoldenMotor.com

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
I don't know where to start, I have what I was told is an 80cc kit (yea right) and a brand new beach cruiser (it's a Huffy). It all looked easy when I was full of adderall and moonshine. I started grinding on this sprocket to fit my hub, but from what I'm told and what I see, the only way it's gonna line up with the motor (chain) is if the sprocket is sitting right on the spokes. This makes me a little nervous. Would'nt these spokes flex some from the motor?
Also I'm hearing that these Chinese motors are junk, did I get taken? I guess what I'm looking for is a kick in the arse and sound advice as I'm putting this together. I've been laid off since last JUly and I'm sooo freakin bored!

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Hello LJS, funny you mention the Pocono's and this being your first build. I am also from there and also just built my first MB about 15 days ago. Here is a pic of my "first"

When you first get that motor your all excited , but then you look at the directions and go WTF ???? I threw mine out and went back on my computer and googled many many MB videos . My very first one I saw was how the sprocket went together as I was very confused about it myself. I would leave ya some links but that would be way to easy,(kidding)

http://motorbicycling.com/f30/how-links-1930.html

or just do some simple google searches for "Motor bicycle installations" and you will find what ya need, or use the search feature in this forum and you will find some very good tutorials and videos also from the members here .

good luck, maybe we will see one another Motor biking in the same direction , if so make sure ya Wave :)

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum longjohn, glad you joined us.

I have never seen one that the sprocket has to be right up against the spokes. Having the sprocket against the spokes is not a good ideal (you want to have the rubber donut between the spokes and sprocket). You might have to move the motor over if that is the case.

Some have had bad luck with the china motor, I have had very good luck with years and thousands of miles.

The rag joint set up is one of the weakest parts of these kits, there are other options.

I still use the rag joint set up but went with a HD wheel with 12g spokes. There is also hub adapters that will eliminate the rag joint. And you could always go with a SBP shifter kit.... Sick Bike Parts LLC - Motor Kits for Your Bicycle

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Commander i have the same roadmaster bike,same model,same color.
mine has a rack with tank on back.
but to get mine to fit,i modified my frame,how did you get yours to fit?
i have a 48cc dual start starfire II grubee engine,i had to modify a 3piece wide peddal set to fit in my 1 piece hole so it would clear the motor.
my engine is a lot wider than yours,its a dual start engine.

Last edited:

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Hey cabin, it was a trick to get the 80 cc motor from china to fit my frame. Basically I just used longer bolts on the front mounts and bent them enough to clear the frame and still bolt up,also the carb didnt fit properly on the intake so I removed the air filter housing and as you can tell my gas line goes over the frame rather than under due to the carb sitting so hi up.My motor mounted like that allowed my pedals to clear the entire thing with out issue. only real issue I had was lining up the rear sprocket to the motor gear.

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
Im not seeing it, I'm going to start working on it this morning and we'll see, but I'm not seeing it. I'm just a poor mountain boy, I can't afford all them fancie dooodads, I have to make do with what I have. Hope you'll let me pick your brain here and there?

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
fairracing, between the coaster brake, the dust cap, you just can't get an alignment with that rag jiont betwwen the sprocket and spokes. It all line up perfect without the rag joint! I've done some looking around and apparently I'm not the only one who has had this delima. I admit I don't like it, but I'm gonna try it

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
:-||:-||:-||
fairracing, between the coaster brake, the dust cap, you just can't get an alignment with that rag jiont betwwen the sprocket and spokes. It all line up perfect without the rag joint! I've done some looking around and apparently I'm not the only one who has had this delima. I admit I don't like it, but I'm gonna try it

longjohnsilver

Mar 21, 2009
poconos
yea, I'm the same way, plus the medication I'm on causes intermitten sleep patterns. I sleep 2-3 hours and then I'm up for a bit, than sleep a bit. It gets a little crazy sometimes and I have to pop a valium to get a full nights sleep.