Dyno Mid-Drive Shifter Build

GoldenMotor.com

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
half of the big trucks turn around at the california border. more so if they have a reefer. big brother is on the other side of the river. but this is the electric section so i'm out.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Glad to see the bike is still going strong. Surprised...not really. Only thing I've been changing are the tires after many years of abuse. I now mainly use mine as a pit bike at the jet ski races. ...and it's still turning heads after all these years.
And after hundreds of charges and thousands of miles, I still get the same mileage per charge.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Been over 8 months since I have posted about this bike. Everyday ride to work, rideshare program gave me 2 days off with pay per year and every quarter $70.00 its a win win deal and I dont have to deal with any traffic BS.
Love my Sick bike parts shifter bike!!!!
Ya, SBP has some great products, Paul and Jim are a couple pretty sharp cookies I deal with all the time.

30mph max E-shifter seems a little wimpy to me though...
What are your battery specs?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Ya, SBP has some great products, Paul and Jim are a couple pretty sharp cookies I deal with all the time.

30mph max E-shifter seems a little wimpy to me though...
What are your battery specs?
oh it goes faster but the bike path people dont like it.... 52v 13.5ah

How ya doing KC health wise? I am concerned about your issues bud...

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
oh it goes faster but the bike path people dont like it.... 52v 13.5ah
Ya, 52V 13.5Ah will move ya, we have a canal system throughout the greater Phoenix area with paths on both sides where joggers run and Spanex like to ride in groups...

I like to blow past them coasting and pedaling backwards ;-}

How ya doing KC health wise? I am concerned about your issues bud...
Thanks bud, I appreciate it.

I just got back from 3+ hours of testing to see if I can even withstand the surgery, shoot, I thought there for a minute the heart stress tests were going to kill me if that's any indication.
And as a bonus, I'll have radioactive pee all day hehe ;-}

On a bright note the whole family is quitting smoking, I have a patch on my arm right now.

I don't know when I'll get the results, but I do know a $254 co-pay they wanted before they started kinda pissed me off...

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
That is a very great article! Jeff is one of the premier builders in the game! His attention to detail and craftsmanship is simply.....amazing!

ChrisDuke

Oct 29, 2017
Nice build!
So that SA IGH is holding up? That's such good news! Everything I've been reading tells me that the 3 speed is the max ya want to use for a Cyclone build. Now I need to start looking for a 5 speed SA hub. IGH just looks so much nicer, and no sand issues around the beach.

And using the chain guard bracket with the motor brackets is brilliant! I'll be borrowing that idea for my 2K Cyclone build!

One question.
What brand American to Euro adapter did you wind up using? I've picked up more than a half dozen so far, and none of them are that good for Cyclone (lacking BB thread engagement) or BBS02 (motor won't fit on all the way). I've found one that should give me more thread engagement for my Cyclone builds, and think I've come up with a way to solve the problem with the 02 not fitting on a beach cruiser BB all the way. Just curious what you used. I also need to get a hold of Luna to find out the brand name of the eccentric adapters they've used on the BMX BB's, because the eccentric would be much less work than my solution.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Nice build!
So that SA IGH is holding up? That's such good news! Everything I've been reading tells me that the 3 speed is the max ya want to use for a Cyclone build. Now I need to start looking for a 5 speed SA hub. IGH just looks so much nicer, and no sand issues around the beach.

And using the chain guard bracket with the motor brackets is brilliant! I'll be borrowing that idea for my 2K Cyclone build!

One question.
What brand American to Euro adapter did you wind up using? I've picked up more than a half dozen so far, and none of them are that good for Cyclone (lacking BB thread engagement) or BBS02 (motor won't fit on all the way). I've found one that should give me more thread engagement for my Cyclone builds, and think I've come up with a way to solve the problem with the 02 not fitting on a beach cruiser BB all the way. Just curious what you used. I also need to get a hold of Luna to find out the brand name of the eccentric adapters they've used on the BMX BB's, because the eccentric would be much less work than my solution.

Hey Chris this is the bottom bracket adapter I used: http://sickbikeparts.com/electric-bottom-bracket-adapters/

I also used the Cyclone kit from them too. I used Luna for the battey and charger setup.

This bike is my ride to work since it was built, motor is a noisy and may need rebuilding but its been a hard runner thats for sure.

ChrisDuke

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, thanks Velodrome for that link.
I don't know how I've missed it all this time.
My solution to the 02B fitting all the way was to use the basic adapter you posted on the first page of that thread (I have 4 more sitting on a shelf) and then drilling and tapping the BB shell on the drive side to accept a bolt to hold it in place. Then instead of grinding on the motor, I ground off the flange of the adapter. If I wasn't so lazy and short of time today before dark, I would of drilled and tapped two holes for two bolts. I'll probably add another bolt this weekend. This dosen't put it all the way home like I would of liked, but it made it work. On the non drive side of the adapter, I was going to cut off the flange where it crossed the 02B bracket, so that the bracket would sit down inside the rest of the flange, but I didn't because the only spacers I had to go between the motor and under the bracket for the two bolts were a couple of nuts that fit perfect. I'll wind up getting/making spacers another day and grind down part of the adapter flange under the bracket so I can get more threads on the BB nut cover/lock ring in the future, but it works for now.

Thanks for the info culvercityclassic.
I'll check out those adapters. The ones I found that will work better for the Cyclone than the ones I already have are these from Niagara Cycle https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/aluminum-bottom-bracket-conversion-cup-set-1-37-od . I don't know why I didn't see these before ordering all the others I have $$$.
I picked up the 2K motor kit from Luna with the ISIS BB setup, and I see some differences in the kits (square vs ISIS) as far as fitment is concerned, but nothing that a wider adapter thread setup can't fix.

I wound up using the BBS02B on today's bike with my adapter mods (sixthreezero 7 speed In The Barrel). Tomorrow I hope to get started on the bike in my profile pic with the Cyclone motor (Firmstrong 7 speed Bruiser) only because it has front breaks. The other bike I got as a return cheap because it had bent front forks. I put a springer on it, but haven't had the chance to lace up a SA drum or disk hub yet. Eventually I hope to have both bikes with both motors installed.

elewayne

Mar 27, 2009
Longmont Co.
I hate to be a dunce, but what is meant by the term electric shifter kit. shifter being the operative word. Also was the dyno frame wide enough in the rear to use without modifications?

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
I hate to be a dunce, but what is meant by the term electric shifter kit. shifter being the operative word. Also was the dyno frame wide enough in the rear to use without modifications?
It's shorthand for electric motor that can be driven through the bikes rear cassette (sprocket cluster) thus shifted. A "shifter kit" must be purchased or fabricated for this to take place Nothing dumb about asking questions, actually reveals a persons quest for knowledge and understanding of any subject.

I hope someone that's familiar with the Dyno frame can answer the question of frame width.

Rick C.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Jeff you are one of the few who've built extended drops and it makes such great sense for not only added, and much needed wheelbase, but as you said added width between the drops. Most multispeed (and many single speed) cruiser style frames have the slanted vertical drops which can be converted to horizontal drops, which I favor, through the use of drop out extensions. I have a couple of frames that could be much improved with this simple yet elegant design element for electric or gas bikes. I've seen a few motorized Schwinn Orange county chopper style motorized builds that used these extensions as well.

Bolt 'em or weld them on...either works.

The extra wheelbase of just a couple of inches makes a big difference in the bikes stability a higher speeds and ride quality as well.

Rick C.