Getting new bike and engine, please help with a few suggestions!!

GoldenMotor.com

dan2015

Feb 18, 2015
Illinois
I am getting, well thinking about getting the firmstrong bruiser 7speed bike and the ghost racer 7g belt 4 stroke motor. My questions are, do you know if this bike is decent? Also i'm not looking for high speeds(wanna stay living), thats why i want the 4 stroke for smoother running and longevity. Is the stock sprocket and rag joint contraption good enough for me or do you recomend a manic hub setup? The reason for me wanting the 7 speed bike is that i also want the bike for exercise once in a while. Theres my final question. Will i be able to pedal the bike with the 7 speeds somewhat easy with the engine turned off for a period of time, say 2-3 miles? Thanks for all, and any help you guys can give. Im new here, and this is going to my first build. Thanks again.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
personally if the bike has 14ga spoked wheels, Im gonna suggest a manic style sprocket and adapter set up since it is a better way to go, but it gets a little funky when using multispeed rear wheels since the clamp has to be made to work on the smaller diameter rear hub.

You would need to measure that to see if there is one available for that wheel.

Pefsonally, I starting to lean toward not using the rag joint coupler on 14ga spoked wheels, I've had two wheels with broken spokes here lately and I'm gonna start buying wheels with 12ga spokes when a rag joint couple is gonna be used, Ive never had a 12ga spoke break on me but the 14ga spokes Im having some issues with.

as far as a combo exercise bike and motorized bike goes, they dont really do good for both, personally I'd build me a motorized bike to enjoy and then get me a seperate pedal only bike.

I can5 help you with any thing concerning the 4 stroke kits since I dont mess with them, but Im sure someone else will ring in here before long and tell you a thing or two and give some advice based on there experience or opinion.

welcome to the forum and best wishes on whatever you decide on.

Map

dan2015

Feb 18, 2015
Illinois
thanks for your advice map....i really was wondering on the 7 speeds if they will help when i need to pedal the bike with the motor shut off. I feel i may have problems with the over anxious police in my area and when i am near town i can turn off the motor and pedal.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks for your advice map....i really was wondering on the 7 speeds if they will help when i need to pedal the bike with the motor shut off. I feel i may have problems with the over anxious police in my area and when i am near town i can turn off the motor and pedal.
the multispeed will help the pedaling for sure, they can be pedaled fairly good still but there is a noticeable amount of resistance.

If you get a mutispeed bikethat has a small spoked wheel you can always upgrade it later on to a wheel that has larger spokes, Ive put many miles on wheels with 14ga spokes using the kit supplied "rag joint" sprocket coupler, they do a good job but the clamshell manic type adapter is by far the best way to go if at all possible or use a rear wheel that has larger 12ga spokes and you wont ever have and trouble either way.

dan2015

Feb 18, 2015
Illinois
AGAIN MAP, THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE.MAP, I JUST SAW A SPROCKET ON http://www.bicycle-engines.com/Accessories. ITS CALLED A HYBRIPED (HYBRID PEDAL) SPROCKET. ITS $49.99. HAVE YOU , OR ANYONE YOU KNOW OF TRIED ONE OF THESE? THEY CLAIM WITH THE TO PINS IN, IT OPERATES WITH THE ENGINE, WITHOUT THE PINS IT IS A FREEWHEEL SPROCKET. MAYBE WOULD THIS BE BETTER FOR ME SINCE I LIKE TO PEDAL RIDE ALSO ? OR DO YOU THINK ITS A WASTE OF MONEY AND PEDALING WONT BE SO BAD WITH NORMAL RAG/SPROCKET? THANKS AGAIN!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I havent used one of those and I dont know anyone else here that has but I have seen them demo'd in a youtube video and it looks to be a good working set up, that may be a good option for you.

Heck go for it and then maybe you can shed so light on it with the rest of us here and then we'll all have a better idea how well it works if you feel like being brave about it...LOL!

it has been around for a while so I know there has to be several of them out there, I just haven't personally seen one in use yet by one of the members here.

dan2015

Feb 18, 2015
Illinois
thanks again map for the quick response and advice. I think i'll try to watch a few of those videos to see if it's worth it. You seem to be very experienced in this stuff. Talk to ya again some day!!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks again map for the quick response and advice. I think i'll try to watch a few of those videos to see if it's worth it. You seem to be very experienced in this stuff. Talk to ya again some day!!
ive been tinkering with this stuff for a while yes, but there are many people on here that have a lot more knowledge and experience than I do, we all learn from each other and I dont know it all be any means but Im very happy to share what I do know and mainly what I have experienced first hand with my personal bikes.

I always appreciate the help I get in life from people who are honest and care enough to share what they know, I just do my best to pass that help along when I can.

djpass7

Oct 13, 2014
Chico, CA
I am getting, well thinking about getting the firmstrong bruiser 7speed bike and the ghost racer 7g belt 4 stroke motor. My questions are, do you know if this bike is decent? Also i'm not looking for high speeds(wanna stay living), thats why i want the 4 stroke for smoother running and longevity. Is the stock sprocket and rag joint contraption good enough for me or do you recomend a manic hub setup? The reason for me wanting the 7 speed bike is that i also want the bike for exercise once in a while. Theres my final question. Will i be able to pedal the bike with the 7 speeds somewhat easy with the engine turned off for a period of time, say 2-3 miles? Thanks for all, and any help you guys can give. Im new here, and this is going to my first build. Thanks again.
In my opinion, the rag joint will work fine. I would replace all nuts, bolts, and washers with grade 8 Button Head Allen hardware. I do not know about the bike and its quality. The 7 speed would make it easier to pedal, but with that heavy motor, you probably won't want to pedal more than a mile or so, but if you want your exercise u could pedal even longer.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
the rag joint does work fine, hundreds and hundreds of them in use, they do work better on wheels with large spoke because they do put a good amount of stress on the spokes, many peoe use them for years even on 14ga spoke wheels without having problems.

I've run them on both 14ga and 12ga spokes, never a single issue on the heavy duty spokes but during wheel inspection I've had broken spokes on two of my wheels with 14ga spokes, I ride in rough conditions and I ride hard and fast most of the time so that ould have something to do with my broken spokes on those wheels.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
The HYBRID PEDAL sprocket looks like it is still running the rag joint design.
And the pins may cause a clearance issue with the frame.
Interesting idea though....
I run rags on all my bikes.
As Map suggests , Maybe having a second bike is a better idea.

AS to 2 stroke vs 4 stroke on a multiple use bike?
The 2 stroke is much lighter and less bulky way to go.
On a peddle bike weight is a huge concern.
The lightest 4 stroke I have seen is still a fairly bulky and heavy unit.
We are talking about 80 - 100 lb bikes here.
I'd rather not peddle that much mass up a hill, especially with the extra wide crank sets required to run a 4 stroke....