I think I'm gonna build a new bike.......

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I definitely appreciate your 'sticky' threads with all those pics of vintage motorbikes, Ludwig.

Many of them are true 'dream machines'. I lack the resources to get myself something authentic.

But I'm gonna do the next best thing and make one myself.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Let me change the subject briefly. I'm starting to plan a bike for my wife. It'll be similar to the one I'm building now.

It must be a 24 incher, because she's short. I'll be able to squeeze a china girl in there. I've done it before.

I want good wheels. I've already found the front wheel for her at Husky bicycle. But they don't have the rear that I want on their website.

specs: 24 inches, 11 gauge spokes, drum brake and freewheel compatible.

I'll bet Worksman carries such a thing. But I find their website unworkable. They've missed a few wheel sales to me because I simply can't find a section that has parts, such as wheels, available for order.

Can anyone point me toward the wheel that I want?

Thanks.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I think that sometimes, from experience here, that many mechanically inclined people disdain the internerd and information technology. Whether it's neophobia or snobbery, I cannot tell, but I'm certain that businesses often fail to effectively show customers what they have and what they can do.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I made the front stay for the front fender tonight after work.

front fender stays, both.jpg

From what I can see, it's standard to mount the torque arm for the drum brake parallel with the fork and right up against it.

I couldn't do that, though, because the strut that forms my fender stay anchor points plus the foundation for my front cargo rack is in the way.

So I made a torque arm bracket that sits the torque arm back further away from the fork. This gave me the clearance I need.

And I feel pretty confident that this'll work fine. But I've never owned a drum brake before and I know nothing about them other than what I can figure out on my own.

So...how about the drum brake people here? Do you have any concerns about this?

If so, please do let me know. Thanks.

brake torque arm clamp 01.jpg
brake torque arm clamp 02.jpg

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Looking good there BlueGoat ! What you are doing with the wheels is just what I was wanting to do also. Did you see the pic of the Sturmey Archer X-RD drum brake with freewheel I posted on your thread. But I have not been able to find a wheel already built for sale with this brake. I hope you can find what you are looking for.....cause I want one too!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I did see that. Yes. And thank you very much.

I pretty much passed it by, though. Even though it looked like a nice hub.

The reason is that I've never built a wheel before and can't trust myself with the job on a wheel that matters.

I can true a wheel. Though I can't yet get it mathematically perfect.

I'm gonna have to try building a wheel one of these days, though. Because that'll open up a lot of possibilities.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The arm being in compression is a good idea to me, if anything comes lose, it will be topped by the fork leg from moving.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
A little more progress over the last few days.

To start with, here's a chain tensioner or axle adjuster/supplementary hold-down.

Axle adjuster 01.jpg

I guess it doesn't need much explanation. It ought to be pretty clear how it works.

Axle adjuster 02.jpg

And I managed to finish the front fender framework. Well, no, it's not quite finished. I still need to fasten the fender to more points on this framework.
Front fender framework.jpg

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
And I added the cargo platform for the rear rack.

60 3/16 in holes. The drilling got so tiresome.

And it ended up being a bit on the big side. I went with 18 inch dimensions because I realized that there'd be less hacksawing that way. But I shouldn't have been concerned about that. Compared to the drilling, a few more cuts would have been no big deal.

Rear cargo rack 12-7 01.jpg
Rear cargo rack 12-7 02.jpg

And I set the engine in place just to see what the bike would look like.

Engine fitting 12-7.jpg

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
That's a sturdy bike, it's built like a tank!! Is the cargo rack aluminum ? You've probably already thought of this but you could use a jigsaw with a metal blade for steel and aluminum . Or you can use a mitre saw with a carbide blade for the aluminum only.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
No, that cargo rack is steel. I don't use a whole lot of aluminum.

And a jigsaw is almost easier, of course. But not quite. You can get into some precarious spots between the saw and holding down your work, and so on.

I also don't use many power tools anymore because of the noise and, when dealing with wood, the dust. That got pretty old.

But I'd be dead in the water without an electric drill. Can't get away from that.

Just for fun, here''s another shot of the bike. I think the angle is a bit better than the last shot.
DSCN0368 02.jpg

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Yes a jigsaw can have its limitations dealing with small parts for sure. sometimes you can clamp it between two pieces of wood but not always. I'm a woodworker by trade so I guess I am use to the noise and dust. I admit if I can do the job with a power tool I will use it, but I always do the finishing by hand. I too would be lost without a hacksaw and a drill.

Good thread I have enjoyed following it. Be sure to let us know what you find out from Workmans.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thanks.

As a matter of fact, I intend to call Worksman tomorrow.

I managed to find a front wheel for my wife from Husky. It's just like mine. 11 gauge spokes plus drum brake, but in a 24 inch size. They also had a rear just like mine; 12 gauge spokes plus freewheel threads, 24 inches.

Strange, isn't it, that they carry fronts with 11s in both sizes but only 12s for the rear? Not that 12 is so bad. Pretty tough spoke. But I want a little more.

We'll see if those guys from New York with the lousy website (but tough bicycles and components) have them.

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Yeah, why can't we get a matching set of wheels with 11 g spokes with drum brakes and rear freewheel. Maybe we are the only ones on the planet that wants them lol ! I've thought about going with disc but the drum brake just seems so much easier. Good luck!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm fortunate that my bike is getting a pair of drums from a well respected vintage bike restorer. It's both for appearance and practicality.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Some more progress today. I've got my front cargo racks finished.

Not quite finished. I still have to paint them. But that'll be later on tonight. I'll let them dry overnight.

I've taken to mounting a small rack, on either side of the wheel, just above the axle. This can be fitted to hold a U-lock and the tool kit. Plus I can hang a backpack from higher up and this rack holds it out where it's not going to interfere with the wheel.

I've already used this extensively on the bike I've been riding lately and I'm happy with the results. Getting that weight down as low as possible helps things a great deal.

front cargo mounts 01.jpg
front cargo mounts 02.jpg
front cargo mounts 03.jpg
front cargo mounts 04.jpg
front cargo mounts 05.jpg

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Thank you, Dooly. I won't actually travel very far. But I do ride everyday. I'm a car avoider.

(Though lately I've been driving more than normal because I've been suffering from gout (of all things). But that's a whole 'nother story.)

But it'll get daily use, that's for sure.

Here's another 'mock-up' pic. I'm not sure it's much different from earlier ones I've posted.

But it gives a notion of what the bike'll end up looking like.
bike mock up 12-14.jpg

The basket is hanging kinda odd. That's because I've taken off a couple of cargo rack pieces plus the basket support struts and painted them. They're now hanging up to dry.